Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

How Do You Showcase Your Slabs

I started to try and figure out how much wall space I would need in order to display a full set of slabs for the 1972 Topps Set (if I ever reach that goal). I may have to build an addition. Honestly, I was thinking of building 1X4 Oak Shelving on my walls to display the slabs of cards. Was wondering what others are doing, since I don't believe you just have stacks and stacks of PSA graded cards sitting around on a counter top.

Thanks,

Dale
1st Finest Set - 1981 Baseball Fleer Basic - Retired
1st Finest Set - 1981 Baseball Fleer Master - Retired
1st Finest Set - 1955 Baseball Golden Stamps - Cleveland Indians - Retired
1st Finest Set - Mel Harder Baseball Master - Active
Mel Harder Showcase Set - Active
#15 on Current Set Registry - 1972 Topps Baseball - Retired
#23 on All Time Set Registry - 1972 Topps Baseball - Retired

Comments

• Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    Mine are in non-descript storage boxes that my wife is unaware of.
  • Options
    acowaacowa Posts: 945 ✭✭
    I don't...they stay in a safe.

Regards,

Alan
  • Options
    Mine are in a safe deposit box ... but I display them here: www.LewisBaseballCards.com
  • Options
    David,

Me too! My son knows but he is sworn to secrecy. He squeals....no car!
    THE FLOGGINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES
  • Options
    CubbyCubby Posts: 2,096
    Mine are also "showcased" in my safety depo box.

BTW: Cubby=Cub Fan
  • Options
    kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    I have thought about setting up a wall display for my smaller sets, but after serious consideration, I concluded that the cards are best kept in the box or safe.

First, a display of valuable trading cards seem to be inviting trouble. I would hate for the housekeeper, who cleans on a bi-weekly basis, to grab a few of the cards for her own collection. I would also hate to tempt one of my son's friends who might need the Nolan Ryan for himself.

Another reason I can think of is the potential fading of older cards. Prior to the 1990s, cards were manufactured without a UV protective coating. I think the PSA encapsulation provides a certain degree of protection against UV rays, but I am not sure how much.

I know this must sound like the most paranoid post ever, but it just does not seem prudent to leave valuable tradign cards on the wall.

• Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    Most paranoid posting - I doubt it...

Do you have them locked in a cabinet with a web cam on them? I think scans are for displaying but the cards need security - unless I'm in the room. These aren't your daddy's baseball cards.
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    Safe Deposit Box all the way, just not worth the risk.
    www.LloydWTaylor.com
    Vintage Baseball Cards
    Sales and Ebay Consignment Service
    email
    Lloyd_Taylor_Vintage_Cards -- on Ebay
  • Options
    I haven't been collecting but a couple of years and have maybe 500 slabbed cards but I'm certain they won't fit in my safe deposit box. If I had the cards that many of you have I would need my own bank branch to store them. When I finish my 65 psa 8 set I want to build some kind of wall system covered with uv protected glass and display them in order around my pool table with some other sports memorabilia. The Mantle is really the only high dollar card in the 65 set and it's only $1000 which is far different than many of the real high dollar cards in the older sets. I carry insurance for theft and fire, ect. I think that this was a great question dalew asked - thanks.

vargha - by the way - my wife is fully aware of my cards and she has no problem with the 25 cents I've paid for the pretty holders around my 10 cent cards.

wayne
    1955 Bowman Football
  • Options
    I'm constantly shocked by the fact that most of you feel you have to hide your collection or out-and-out lie about what you spend on it.
    I am quite sure....that "if" I told my wife....she would understand and probably encourage me to acquire additional cardsimage

• Options
    You know, the insurance is another great question. If you have them in a safety deposit box at the bank, or at Fort Knox, I guess your alright.

After reading the thread, I see that some have safes. I looked into it. You can buy a 1 hour safe which would probably hold a set or two, not to mention that you purchase high quality cards that you probably should have them at the bank, and not in a home safe.

But finally, and my real question.

Do you need a rider on your insurance policy for cards? I have a rider on some rings, etc., but never thought about other stuff like comics, antique furniture, or ball cards. Does an inventory cover your cards or do you have to have a specialized rider?

My wifes $2,000.00 ring costs me $20.00 per year and they don't ask me how it stored, what happens if she swallows it (the ring), or anything else.

Just keeping the thread going.

Dale
    1st Finest Set - 1981 Baseball Fleer Basic - Retired
    1st Finest Set - 1981 Baseball Fleer Master - Retired
    1st Finest Set - 1955 Baseball Golden Stamps - Cleveland Indians - Retired
    1st Finest Set - Mel Harder Baseball Master - Active
    Mel Harder Showcase Set - Active
    #15 on Current Set Registry - 1972 Topps Baseball - Retired
    #23 on All Time Set Registry - 1972 Topps Baseball - Retired
  • Options
    carkimcarkim Posts: 1,166 ✭✭
    Gentlemen,

I'm sorry to say that my wife is fully aware of my card collection and how much I spend on cards. She helps me in many ways... Going to card shows, sorting cards, marking card off my manual checklist, and helping database my collection. She doesn't fully understand every detail of card collecting but she is interested and very supportive.

Carlos

AKA The husband of the world's greatest wife.
  • Options
    Carlos, does she have a sister?
  • Options
    theBobstheBobs Posts: 1,136 ✭✭
    Sounds like Carlos landed a "10".

My wife holds the purse-strings, and is currently a "8oc".

Here's hoping to having the qualifier removed soon...
    Where have you gone Dave Vargha
    CU turns its lonely eyes to you
    What's the you say, Mrs Robinson
    Vargha bucks have left and gone away?

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
  • Options
    carkimcarkim Posts: 1,166 ✭✭
    rw2win> Yes she does have a sister but she only grades a 7. (psa65Topps> My brother-in-law asked for a NQ minimum grade or she would have been a 8oc as well)
  • Options
    Carlos,

Mine started out a 9, but 10 yrs. and 2 kids... cards can be upgraded... hmmm
  • Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    My wife gets a higher grade than when I got married 15 years ago. Considering that grading standards have gotten tougher, that is pretty amazing. (And no, she wasn't graded by PRO.)
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Vargha - just as long as she doesn't get a SCDA 11 Untouched. image

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.