Home Sports Talk
Options

Lions fed up with Mike Williams - looking to get rid of him

The Lions refused to say anything about Mike Williams and his shaky future with the team, but they really didn't have to because actions speak louder than words. Head coach Rod Marinelli wanted to see what kind of commitment Williams was willing to make to being in shape, playing football and being part of the team.

Marinelli got his answer Tuesday. Williams was a no-show for the team's first Organized Team Activity, a decision that will likely result in Williams being cut at some point before the start of the regular season. At this point, it's too late for Williams to have second thoughts or even try to make amends. Clearly, Marinelli can't trust Williams and there's no way Marinelli is going to preach one thing to his team and also have Williams on the roster.

Don't look for Williams to get broomed immediately, though. The Lions will continue to try to trade him -- and they've had a few calls -- but the Lions have to find a deal that is good enough to offset the huge salary cap hit the team will take this season ($5.7 million). If the Lions wait until after June 1, they'll absorb only a $1.9 million hit this season with the remaining balance hitting the cap next year.

By the way, after Charlie Sanders was voted into the Hall of Fame in early February, Williams had his No. 88 yanked away from him. The Lions say it's because, while the numbers aren't officially retired, they don't give out the numbers of players who are in the Hall of Fame. That's true, but if Roy Williams was wearing No. 88, would the Lions have pulled it? Or would they have just said that after Roy Williams retires, no one will wear No. 88 again?

According to the team roster, Mike Williams is now wearing No. 81. It's almost a certainty, though, that Mike Williams will never actually wear that number during a Lions football game.

Comments

• Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>By the way, after Charlie Sanders was voted into the Hall of Fame in early February, Williams had his No. 88 yanked away from him. The Lions say it's because, while the numbers aren't officially retired, they don't give out the numbers of players who are in the Hall of Fame. That's true, but if Roy Williams was wearing No. 88, would the Lions have pulled it? Or would they have just said that after Roy Williams retires, no one will wear No. 88 again? >>

That's unusual. It's fairly common for a number to be retired while someone is wearing it, but usually the person currently wearing the number is allowed to keep it until they leave the team, at which time the number would be fully retired.

Methinks this is just the Lions sending a message, unless they have a history of doing this.
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Millen's in the war room right now deciding which over-hyped WR to take in the first round to replace Williams.

Lee
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the deal with Williams anyways? The Loions had him de-activated for most of the season, I dont understand how anyone can not take his shot at the NFL with nothing but their best effort. He should take a look at Charlie Rogers for instance I dont think he played enough to even get a NFL pension. I would think that anyone would at least put forth their best effort to at least qualify for a pension, at minimum.
  • Options
    I think he did take a look at Charlie Rogers- he looked at him while they were at the strip club, while they were eating at Ruth's Chris, while they were playing Playstation, while they were gangbanging strippers...........

Lee
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Millen's in the war room right now deciding which over-hyped WR to take in the first round to replace Williams. >>

Don't know. That kid from Georgia Tech looks awfully good.
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    What??? A high profile USC receiver who played teams like Idaho and Hawaii didn't tear it up in the NFL?

NO..that never happens

Sincerely,
    RJ Soward
  • Options
    MichiganMichigan Posts: 4,942

<< <i>What is the deal with Williams anyways? The Loions had him de-activated for most of the season, I dont understand how anyone can not take his shot at the NFL with nothing but their best effort. He should take a look at Charlie Rogers for instance I dont think he played enough to even get a NFL pension. I would think that anyone would at least put forth their best effort to at least qualify for a pension, at minimum. >>

Both Mike Williams and Charles Rogers had poor work habits, word I heard about Rogers was he felt
    he didn't have to practice and work hard because he was a #2 draft pick and that meant he didn't have
    to put in extra effort. That didn't sit well with the Lions.
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>Millen's in the war room right now deciding which over-hyped WR to take in the first round to replace Williams.

Lee >>

You're too kind, Lee. My sources place Millen at a sports bar in Dearborn, wearing a blindfold, with a copy of the Sporting News' '07 Draft Review' taped to a dartboard.
  • Options

<< <i>What??? A high profile USC receiver who played teams like Idaho and Hawaii didn't tear it up in the NFL?

NO..that never happens

Sincerely,
    RJ Soward >>

Agreed. Every Pac-10 receiver should have a pro career as dominating as mine.

Sincerely,

Peter Warrick
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    Thanks, Boo. I was going to post a witty retort here, but I see there's no need to. That was funny!
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Don't laugh because I'm serious about this- if the Lions could add one more good O-lineman through the draft/free agency, and one decent linebacker, they will be one of the teams to beat in the NFC. Luckily for the rest of the NFC Millen is still the GM, so you can look forward to drafting a QB, two RB's, a WR, and 2 punters. Also, I just found out that Millen recently shot both Alan Trammell and Lou Whitaker, but still hasn't been fired.

Lee
  • Options

<< <i>Don't laugh because I'm serious about this- if the Lions could add one more good O-lineman through the draft/free agency, and one decent linebacker, they will be one of the teams to beat in the AFC. Luckily for the rest of the AFC Millen is still the GM, so you can look forward to drafting a QB, two RB's, a WR, and 2 punters. Also, I just found out that Millen recently shot both Alan Trammell and Lou Whitaker, but still hasn't been fired.

Lee >>

Also, luckily for the rest of the teams in the AFC the Lions are----uh--- in the NFC.

Lee, have you been dipping into the Cognac again?
  • Options
    What are you talking about? I would never make such a stupid mistake as mixing up the AFC and NFC. Please stop editing my posts to make me look stupid. It's very childish of you.

Lee
  • Options
    MichiganMichigan Posts: 4,942

<< <i>The Lions should be fed up with Matt Millen. Still one of the most bizarre things I've seen in sports is the Lions refusal to get rid of a guy who so obviously deserves it. >>

The Millen situation defies any kind of football and business logic, I think William Clay Ford just likes him personally despite his obvious failures and refuses to get rid of him.