Home Metal Detecting
Options

Please sign this petition to help defend detectorists threatened by harsh legislation

Oregon is trying to crack down on artifact hunting and outlaw detecting on public and PRIVATE property. The bill can be viewed here.

Click here to sign the petition and say no to the bill.
I lust for silver.
imageimageimageimage

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Signed!

I sure hope MY state doesn't get any ideas from Oregon's draconian (and insane) stance on the hobby.

I am not usually politically active in anything, but these folks need all the lobbying assistance they can get. Please give them your support. If we lose Oregon, other states might fall victim to such a ban. A ban to detecting on PRIVATE PROPERTY? Insane.

If I understand correctly, Oregon is telling you that you cannot even metal detect on your OWN property, which in my opinion is a gross violation of property rights.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Yeah... public property is one thing... but PRIVATE??? Nope... cant see that happening... calling bs on this one.
  • Options
    Spread the word, folks. I posted links to this on both the coin forums as well.

People need to scream bloody murder on this one.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

<< <i>Spread the word, folks. I posted links to this on both the coin forums as well. People need to scream bloody murder on this one. >>

HOLD ON folks. Take a read:
    http://www.dfxonly.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=24606&sid=8b9cd1d5150e59a3f4dbc445a4771774

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    Yes, I admit I did not read all the fine print before I started hopping around in anger.

I still haven't, in fact. But some folks have pointed out clauses that make it seem not so draconian, perhaps.

Forgive us if this is a mountain out of a molehill. I saw this on Treasurenet, got all hyssie, and started raving. image

• Options
    Yes, but maybe you all should look at HB117 the state legislators have put forth in KY. I'll hunt down more info and post later.

Rob

I believe my detector was getting shipped today.

Edited because I typed the wrong number.
    4/92
    4/123
    -----------
    Invested $216.76
    Return on Investment $0.68
    Found but keeping $.15
  • Options
    Sorry if this is hijacking, but...

http://www.lrc.ky.gov/record/07RS/HB117.htm

http://www.lrc.ky.gov/record/07RS/HB117/bill.doc

Some lowlights:

Section 1:
    (1) "Archaeological site" means any place where artifacts that are valuable for the scientific study of historic or prehistoric human life and activities may be found, including but not limited to historic and prehistoric structures, ruins, pictographs and petroglyphs, mounds, burial grounds, forts, mines, farmsteads, quarries, house sites, and industrial or commercial sites;

(4) "Artifact" means any material more than one hundred (100) years old that is made, modified, or shaped by human workmanship;

Section 2:
    (1) Except for any lawful investigatory purpose authorized by law, no person shall conduct an excavation of an archaeological site on private property without obtaining a permit issued by the council. A person desiring to conduct an excavation of an archaeological site on private property shall apply for a permit by filing a written plan with the council for its approval.

(2) The council shall issue a permit to excavate at the archaeological site if the council determines that the plan will:
    (a) Be done in a manner consistent with professional archaeological practice; and
    (b) Be conducted under the supervision of a professional archaeologist.

(7) Any person who violates subsection (1) of this section shall be guilty of a Class A misdemeanor for the first offense and a Class D felony for each subsequent offense. In addition to any other penalty imposed, all tools, implements, or other items used in the disinterment and the vehicles used for transporting human remains or burial objects, shall be seized and, upon the defendant's conviction, forfeited to the Commonwealth to be sold at public auction. The proceeds from the sale of all forfeitures shall go to the council for the purpose of administering Sections 1 to 6 of this Act. Additionally, any person found guilty of violating subsection (1) of this section shall reimburse the landowner for the cost of restoring and repairing any damage done to the land or to the site.

Some highlights, these give me reason to believe it wouldn't have any effect on most metal detecting/treasure hunting

Section 1
    (6) "Burial object" means any item intentionally placed in a burial ground at or near the time of burial

Section 2
    (8) This section shall not apply to:
    (a) The treatment of cemeteries, abandoned cemeteries, or archaeological sites as a result of surface coal mining conducted in accordance with a permit issued under KRS Chapter 350;
    (b) Archaeological investigations and data recovery projects conducted under Section 1065 of the Federal National Historic Preservation Act of 1966, 16 U.S.C. sec. 470f and its implementing regulations, 36 C.F.R. Part 800, as amended; and
    (c) Surface collecting and archaeological surveys.

It sounds like as long as you don't take any human remains or "Burial objects" you're good to go. Also, the term "Surface collecting" is not defined but I would feel very safe that coin shooting on top of the ground would be safe and might be argued that surface collecting could extend all the way into the top layer of dirt/clay/whatever is the surface for the location you are at. Typically you would find any human remains or burial objects that shallow would you?

Again, sorry if this is hijacking.

Rob

I believe if it's felt this is hijacking I will wipe this post out and start a new thread.
    4/92
    4/123
    -----------
    Invested $216.76
    Found but keeping $.15
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Online petitions are meaningless.

Politicians consider them spam.
    https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options

<< <i>Politicians are meaningless.

Online petitions consider them spam. >>

Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>Online petitions are meaningless.

Politicians consider them spam. >>

While you are correct in a lot of cases that is not exactly an accurate statement. I've been involved in politics for 2 decades and I can tell you that some online petitions are regarded as a valid indicator of public opinion. This is usually the when the person starting the petition manages the petition to keep from having it flooded with a lot of bogus signors.

Rob
    4/92
    4/123
    -----------
    Invested $216.76
    Found but keeping $.15
  • Options

<< <i>Typically you would'nt find any human remains or burial objects that shallow would you? >>

In a plowed field this is very possible.

As an indian artifact collector, this is a very threatening bill.
    We had a similar one come up in Ohio a few years back that was shot down.

I see the whole bill as a way for the "Professional" archeologist to keep artifacts out of the hands of collectors. Period.
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    Somebody said this was from the 2005 season, anyway.

If so, it's all much ado about nothing.

Some folks (yours truly included) got snookered and ended up with a buncha bees in their bonnets.

And I know online petitions are meaningless, but hey, they're a good way to vent, anyway.