Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

NCG X PCGS

Dear Collegues,

A friend mine,here in Brazil, ask me why I just have coins graded by PCGS. My immediate answer was because is the more reliable and traditional in the collectors community.

He argued that NCG have the same level of realiability because is the official service for ANA.

I confesse that I was confuse, because I never saw this angle of question.

What is the general sense? Both companies use the same criteria and method to grade the coins? For exemple, if you take a coin slabed in NCG as PRDCAM 69 or MS68 and send to PCGS to re-slabe, what is the change that back in the same grade?

Thank you for the advise.

Edson

Comments

• Options
    correcting the typing:

What is the chance....
  • Options
    Although PCGS is rapidly loosing credibility with many collectors, they still have a ways to slide downward before they meet with NGC.
    NGC's error was grading loose a couple years ago for a spell.
    Those tainted slabs are still on the market and it'll be awhile before you see NGC's prices rise. It'll be longer before you ever see PCGS coins drop.
    PCGS is blowing it in the PR arena (slabbed gold nuggets- slabbed 911 ASE's- bodybagged coins that don't deserve that level of disrespect), but is still considered a tight grader on the coins that DO make it into holders.
  • Options
    merz2merz2 Posts: 2,474
    imageModman is quite right in what he has said.A well thought out answer.I couldn't have said it better myself.
    Don
    Registry 1909-1958 Proof Lincolns
  • Options
    I would only buy NGC or PCGS coins. It appears PCGS has slightly tighter standards than NGC. As far as I can tell they both try to be consistent but neither is %100. This assesment is supported by the marketplace where PCGS sight unseen trades usually bring more money than the same grade NGC.
  • Options
    There is no difference between PCGS and NGC why even AGC has more consistant standards than either of them they grade anything PCGS will bodybag today and grade tomorrow the big answer is DOLLARS not theirs but YOURS
    FORMER # 1 NOW # 3 ON ALL TIME FINEST CLAD QUARTER COLLECTION

PCGS THE ONLY WAY TO GO

Ed
  • Options

I think Modman has it pinned.
  • Options
    I can only speak from experence. Dena at NGC Registry is the nicest person to get you to Cross PCGS Coins to NGC BUT when they get there NGC only crosses about 30%. PCGS has just stated the same in a artical I just read. PCGS coins are always in Greater demand than NGC. Seems like latley PCGS WON'T Grade above a 68 in Proofs. But PCGS doesn't play games all there PCGS Grades has been the same for all. I also have seen Prices for PCGS Coins going up and the same graded type coins from NGC going down.
    So was it the Chicken or the Egg?
    We all need to understand we as PLASTIC BUYERS ( really that is all we are )all has to be the luck of the draw.
    1 positive to NGC is there Registry accepts Both PCGS and NGC coins so in most cases if your not in the top 5 at PCGS you could be at NGC or sell all your coins and buy 1 Really Rare coin add it to NGC Registry and you can be #1.
    These are my thoughts and is in no means to P_ss anybody off. THIS IS A HOBBY.
    Thanks 1 Plastic collector to another.
    Rick Stewart Collections
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Modman was exactly correct. Several years ago both services started the move from 60-66 to 60-70. For a while, NGC was about half a grade easier than PCGS in most series. The game was to send it to NGC first to get the best grade and then try to cross it to PCGS.

Then about three years ago NGC went a little too far and really questionable grades started showing up. These are the coins that destroyed NGC's market value.

Lately both services are extremely tight. I personally believe that they are trying to recreate the crackout boom by having a color of label be considered as undergraded, but of course that's just another conspiracy theory.

Best bet is to know what you are looking at but when in doubt I always prefer PCGS!
  • Options
    gmarguligmarguli Posts: 2,226 ✭✭
    He argued that NCG have the same level of realiability because is the official service for ANA.

This just means that NGC was the highest bidder for ANA to sell a piece of its (small) credibility. NGC should have waited. The ANA ran a special a little while later and for $3,000 you could help buy legitimacy.