Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Break out your 1972 Topps Basketball Commons $$$$$$$

I never cease to be amazed at this Hobby. Check out this auction. #270107331981 (If someone can set this up for view on the boards It would be appreciated)

Comments

• Options
    RipkenRipken Posts: 559 ✭✭✭

How in the world did the Jim Davis card next to it get a '9'? Look at the upper left border/corner.
  • Options
    Insanity!

(Starts searching through my basketball commons...)
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    It's a pop 2 in PSA 9.
  • Options
    GOODLIEUGOODLIEU Posts: 629 ✭✭
    "It's a pop 2 in PSA 9."

Wait about a month they'll be 20 or more out there after people view this thread. I have the number 3 set in the registry and my Mount is a PSA 7 but this is nuts. Museum a year ago or so was running up the prices in this set but I'm talking $50-$75 dollars for some of the 9 commons with low Pops and lost quite a few at the time but about a couple of months passed and you could pick up upgrades for about half that or less. And museum dumped his set in the Maestro auction (I think) a few months ago and took a huge loss on it. Time to sit back and stay clear of the carnage in my view. Patience is the key.
  • Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    the davis card has a slight rough cut , I would suspect the corner is fine in person but looks odd in the scan
  • Options
    I posted this Thread on 4/12/07 and a month later the madness continuesText
  • Options
    StumpStump Posts: 927
    Most likely same two guys.
    Visit my site @ www.djjscards.com
  • Options
    Your right Stump.
    somersetholdings
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    It cracks me up how everytime there seems to be a common PSA 9 for sale on eBay which sells for $600 it always is the same seller 4-sharp-corners????? Boy, what a great business they have.

Shane
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭

<< <i>It cracks me up how everytime there seems to be a common PSA 9 for sale on eBay which sells for $600 it always is the same seller 4-sharp-corners????? Boy, what a great business they have.

Shane >>

Or DSLS.

Back to the post, the buying trends in a lot of sets seem to flow up and down and then back up again depending on who the bidders are and how fast they want to build their sets. For some, cash is not an issue, only speed of a sets completion is key. Not sure why this is but it seems to be true. If you're a seller of a hot set, it's great. If you're on the other end, you might as well sit on the sidelines until the smoke clears.

We've all seen this scenario played out on almost every vintage issue in one way or another. I don't follow modern issues but I'm sure others on the board could chime in with some examples of this trend too in those sets.

The one thing I always remember when buying is low pop's one day can become higher pop's the next day.
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    Not many of us can afford throwing away $2000 on grading 300 1970's cards to risk getting all PSA 7 and 8's with five high pop PSA 9's. It is really easy spending the money to grade this like DSL and 4SCs when you get PSA 10's every thirteen cards on the invoice.

Shane
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases