Home Metal Detecting
Options

Almost had my second large cent...update

Thought I had it when coin popped out of the ground reverse first with the "ONE CENT" only clear part:

Its dated 1841

I know I have read about these before, anybody have the info handy?

Will be back later with details of where found etc..

*Update- the details*

Thanks for all the congrats, was a busy day yesterday but I found time to get about an hour in of detecting in late afternoon. There was a definite chill to the wind and sun had gone behind the clouds by the time I got to the little park- well almost like a park, more like a roadside median. Had spotted the area Easter Sunday while visiting some family that live nearby- its my old hometown as well and close to several areas I visited last year including the spot where I found the 1806 British half penny and 1844 Canadian half penny token. Not much of a park as I said- three trees maybe and two park benches adjacent to a roadside with a small mall and bank on the opposite side of street. Its in an area where during the late 70's urban renewal swept the area clean of many old buildings that had followed the hillside as the whole area is overlooking a river and the larger parks I hunted previously. Lots of sidewalks too- its at the merger spot for three pathways (triangular shaped maybe 30 feet long by 15 wide at the one end)- guess that’s why they put the benches there.

Anyways onto the find... first signal I dug was a modern Rosie and then I started hitting the bottle caps and pull tabs. Turned up a few Lincolns as well-but nothing old. The ground was filled with rocks and old brick debris (my Dad told me he thought when he was younger a hotel with a small bar had stood near the spot). The sidewalks must have been filled with re-rod as anytime I got to close to the edge my Garrett would signal loudly in the headphones and since I only brought my 8 inch coil I stayed in quite a bit. But just as I rounded the point end of the park the detector got a solid quarter signal about 4 inches from edge of sidewalk- I almost igored it but was able to zero in on it- so I dug. That’s when the almost large cent popped out (surprisingly it was only about 2 inches deep), its was no were near as clean as the 1851 cent I dug last month and all I could make out was the "ONE CENT" at first, so I flipped it over- and at first thought I saw the faint image- could it be- a draped bust? Nope, spotted the "E Pluribus Unum" and new something was unusual. I could remember reading about these things somewhere- thought it was on this site. Continued to hit the park for a little while longer but all I ended up finding was modern- 16 Lincolns (13 copper ones-all memorials with the oldest being a 59-D), 4 dimes and 2 Canadian pennies. Several of the memorials were quite deep and I had my fingers crossed but nothing else old came from the spot- for now. The weather really sucks now and isn't supposed to be much better for the weekend and next week I will be out of town. But when I get back will definitely hit the area again- this time with my 4 inch sniper coil and see just how close to the sidewalks I can get !

Here ar some photos of coin taken today after a night in a potato:

imageimage

Comments

• Options
    Hard Times Token?

link
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    It's a hard times token for sure! Very cool find (and better than a large cent imho).
  • Options
    phutphut Posts: 1,087
    Nice!!
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dude! A Hard Times Token!

That's better than a large cent! image

Go out and pound the site until it looks like a WW1 battlefield when you're done. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    BTW, I believe the "Millions For Defence, Not One Cent For Tribute" slogan came about during the early years of the nation, when the fledgling US navy was battling the Barbary Corsairs and everybody wanted to capture our ships. President Jefferson, I think it was, basically said we'd rather fight than pay tribute. Something like that.

Then the slogan reappeared during the Jacksonian Hard Times era.

Do some Googling. That is a fascinating piece of history you just dug. It might be a crusty critter, but you can count me as one of many people who are quite envious of you this evening.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Count me in the envious crowd! I haven't found a large cent, but that is definitely as cool if not cooler! Nice job.
    I lust for silver.
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    They circulated alongside the large cents. But they're scarcer.

'Nuf said. That makes 'em ubercool.

• Options
    Dude that is way sweeter find then a LC!!! That is one cool find,congrat'simageHH,Tom
  • Options
    Kevinstang has emerged to be one of the fantastic hunters in this forum. Congrats.
  • Options

<< <i>Kevinstang has emerged to be one of the fantastic hunters in this forum. Congrats. >>

Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭
    Thanks, I have been having good luck with old coppers it seems...now if I could just translate that into some old silver image
  • Options
    I wonder what the silver ratio on these early sites would be. It depends on the site, of course. I've read about many folks finding several large cents, but few silver pieces. For me, down here, it has been about even. I think.

Traveling back down memory lane, I am trying to remember how many pre-Civil War coins I have dug.

Umm... let's see...just in US coins before 1861...

I have three large cents. (ND 1796-1807, 1837, 1850)

In the silver, I have...

4 half dimes (1829, ND 1838-60, 1854, 1854)
    1 dime (1839)
    1 quarter (1855)

Hm. My ratio of silver is higher than I remembered. Two to one, in the US stuff, unless I am forgetting something.

Now, with the foreign pre-1861 stuff:

Copper:

1 Spanish 4-maravedis (1658)
    2 French coppers (a 1782-A Cayenne 2-sous, plus one corroded slug with only the faintest trace of King Louis' head)
    2 King George halfpennies (1738 George II British and 1782 George III Irish)

Silver (all Spanish Colonial Mexico City mint):

3 half-reales (1776, 1781, 1787)
    1 1-real (ND 1770s Charles III)
    1 2-reales (1779)

That's a tie. Five to five.