Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Japan Medals

Does anyone have a clue about what these commemorate?

Medal 1

Medal 2

(and by the way, thanks to Madame for a helpful search link)
Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope, but I get a decent reading on the Cool-o-meter... about 2.5 kilofonzies.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    When the Beautiful Bride returns in a couple of hours I'll ask her to translate the legends.
    Roy

• Options
    The reverse of the building is dated September, 1926 (Taisho 15, 9th month) across the top. The next line identifies some type of anniversary, but the stylized characters used are very difficult to read, and the BB isn't sure of exactly what anniversary it is. The large characters at the bottom are the name of a company, Monkosha, and the smaller characters above it are not readable.

On the other piece the large single character means "Award". From top to bottom the other side translates as "Great Japan Ink Brush Calligraphy ______."

Sorry, but that's the best the BB can do.

Where's Shironiichan? He does better at this type of character reading than the BB does.
    Roy

• Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    Dang-- my browser at work won't show the photos. image
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Dang-- my browser at work won't show the photos. image >>

Would you like them via email attachment?
  • Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like that 2nd one could hurt you if not carefully handled. image
    MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    The first medal commemorates the new construction (I think) of the "Myriad Fortune" Company, which is identified as a joint stock company (the tiny little letters above the name of the company). I don't know the Japanese reading but something like "man ko sha," no? (10,000 good fortunes company) Manhaengsa in Korean, but that is not relevant...
  • Options
    The second medal is a calligraphy prize, I think. The double phoenix side reads "prize." The other side reads "Imperial Japanese Calligraphy Institute." Or, if you prefer, "The Calligraphy Institute of the Great Japanese Empire."

• Options
    The calligraphy medal has a little seal above the double pheonix. I cannot read it.
  • Options

<< <i> I don't know the Japanese reading but something like "man ko sha," no? (10,000 good fortunes company) >>

That's the way the Beautiful
    Bride read it Josh.

As I mentioned, she couldn't make out the "Institute" part of the other one.
    Roy

• Options
    Well, I'm not to be trusted when it comes to Japanese readings of Chinese characters. image
  • Options
    ttt
  • Options
    I have been looking more into the pronounciation of the company name. I found the name in Morohashi's Dai Kanwa Jiten (Vol 9, p. 741) and I think the reading is "Bankosha."

• Options
    ttt for bob.