Home Metal Detecting
Options

Poll: Best Relic/Other, March 2007

lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
Best Relic/Other for March, 2007
There are three old military buttons to choose from this month.
Total Votes: 29

Riccar's circa 1835-1840 Republic of Mexico military button.
24 (votes) 82.76 (%)
rhedden's US general service eagle button #1, circa 1830s-1860s. (At left in picture below).
2 (votes) 6.90 (%)
rhedden's US general service eagle button #2, circa 1830s-1860s. (At right in picture below).
3 (votes) 10.34 (%)

<< <i>This button was found at a California adobe site. Per the owner of www.mexicanbuttons.com, this button dates from 1835-1840. Interesting to think of the time-line surrounding this button... Mexico gained independence from Spain in 1821 and the California territory remained part of Mexico until being annexed by the United States. After the Mexican-American war, CA was admitted to the Union as the 31st state (1850). This button fits somewhere in that historical time-line... most likely owned by someone that was in the Mexican military and experienced this early CA history firsthand. >>

rhedden's US general service eagle button #1, circa 1830s-1860s. (At left of picture).

rhedden's US general service eagle button #2, circa 1830s-1860s. (At right of picture).

<< <i>Dug yesterday at a central PA farmhouse site. This was a really old one out in the woods, with no signs of 20th century inhabitation. However, it did not give up any coins. I am happy with the buttons, though. Does anyone want to date them for me? I would guess 1830s to 1850s. >>

(LordM's note: I'd say that's about right, though I would extend your guess to the 1860s, since these were commonly worn by Union troops during the Civil War.)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This was a tough call between three very cool old buttons. I had to go with Rick's Mexican one, though. It's probably similar to what Santa Anna's boys wore at the Alamo.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    marymmarym Posts: 713
    Very difficult decision, but I went with rhedden's button #1. I don't know anything about old button's, but I do know my sense of patriotism kicked up a notch when I saw the eagle's face and that's good enough to win my vote!
    Be Still and Know
  • Options
    laserartlaserart Posts: 2,255
    After the Mexican-American war, CA was admitted to the Union as the 31st state (1850). This button fits somewhere in that historical time-line... most likely owned by someone that was in the Mexican military and experienced this early CA history firsthand.

Can't you just hear that soldier? "Sarge, can we go back I think I've lost a button?"
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • Options
    I forgot to remind Lordmarcovan to close the polls for March.imageimage

Total Votes: 24
    20 (votes) 83.33 (%)
    rhedden's US general service eagle button #1, circa 1830s-1860s. (At left in picture below).
    1 (votes) 4.17 (%)
    rhedden's US general service eagle button #2, circa 1830s-1860s. (At right in picture below).
    3 (votes) 12.50 (%)

Riccar's circa 1835-1840 Republic of Mexico military button is the clear winner!!

Congrats!!
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    WTG Rick!

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    OmegaOmega Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Thanks guys!

It's definitely one for the "never thought I'd find one of these" file... image