Home Metal Detecting
Options

ENTRY/NOMINATION THREAD: April, 2007 "QUALITY" AWARDS (Best Coin/Jewelry/Relic/Wildcard fi

ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
Please enter your finds (or nominate somebody else's finds) for this month's five Metal Detecting Forum "Quality" awards:

The five "quality" award categories are:

Best Non-U.S. Coin/Token
Best U.S. Coin/Token
Best Jewelry Item
Best Relic/Other
Best "Wild Card" Find

There is no limit on the number of entries per forum member. If your find seems humble in comparison to some of the others, don't sweat it- we like to see what everybody's found, be it humble or fantastic. Just post your item and a brief story of how you found it, or a link to your thread about the find, if there was one. If you can, post a picture of your item (small to medium-sized pictures of single items, please, rather than large groupings, since the pictures will be used in the poll threads at the end of the month). If you make a neat find and do not post it here, we might miss it later when we put the award polls up, so be sure and post your better finds here even if you already posted your own thread about them. Also, let us know what category you're entering for.

Best Non-U.S. Coin/Token: This includes all world coinage with the exception of US minted coins obviously.

Best U.S. Coin/Token: this category is pretty self-explanatory. Note that it is for detector finds of coins minted in the U.S from 1776 to present - if a coin or token was found in circulation or by eyesight, it belongs in the "Wild Card" category. The award is for single coin finds, though if a cache is found all in the same hole and/or same container at the same time, it may be entered as a single item.

Best Jewelry Item: also pretty straightforward, but if you find coin jewelry, you can choose to put it here or in the Coin category. Also, if you find lost jewelry and return it to its proper owner, you still get to enter it in the competition, even though it wasn't "finders keepers". (See if you can get a picture of it, though).

Best Relic/Other: this category pretty much covers anything found with a detector that isn't a coin or jewelry.

Best "Wild Card" Item: this category is only for finds made without a detector. It may include coins or jewelry, but if you found those with your detector, they go in the categories above. This is for surface "eyeball" finds, circulation coin finds, and pretty much anything else, including nonmetallic finds like arrowheads, bottles, fossils, gemstones, gold nuggets, minerals, natural history specimens, pottery, prehistoric artifacts, and so on. Be sure and mention that the item you are entering is a "Wild Card" find, so we'll know which category to put it in when the polls go up at the end of the month.
Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    loditom's 1937-S Walking Liberty half.

Found April 3rd. Where's the reverse picture, Tom?

I think I recall there being a reverse picture on the March nomination thread originally. He posted it there by accident and I just removed it from the March polls, so here it is for April.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭
    I have this for the wildcard category, a 1902 Indian cent found while roll searching April 3, not as nice as the 1883 I found last year in a roll:

imageimage

And for best US coin/token I found this hard times token April 11th while detecting in a small park:

imageimage

Thought I would enter this for relic category, at this time not quite sure what it is, except its copper/brass and possible used for marking something:

• Options
    My best Jewelry for April:

Man's 10K gold bracelet
    (style = "Figaro," length is almost 8" and width is about 5mm)

And, I'd like to offer a couple nominations...
    I don't see Phut listing things this month so I'd like to nominate this one for him (but everyone knows he found a lot more... tough to decide but I liked these two U.S. coins):

Phut's 1850 seated dime for best U.S. coin-

or his 1806 half cent

• Options
    I want to nominate myself for wildcard finds. My job recently moved from one building about 9 miles down the road to the one I'm in now. There is a vending machine room with about 10 different machines (coffee, candy, pops, nukem food ect...) I’ve gone in there 5 times in month that I have been in this building and have come out with almost $5 in left behind change and a 20oz bottle of water. And it's not that I'm checking the slots, the coin returns on these are completely visible. Only one of my 5 trips didn't produce any return and one had $2.00 in one machine alone.

Rob

I believe if anybody was around when I went in, I might not have taken the money.
    4/92
    4/123
    -----------
    Invested $216.76
    Return on Investment $0.68
    Found but keeping $.15
  • Options
    Here's mine for best jewelry.

14k charm and chain

Also thank's LM for putting my WLH over here for this month my brain was a little slow from lack of sleepimageimage

Here is the back side of my WLH for best coin.

• Options
    DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭
    Wild card find........1946 Quarter, again in the return bin of the local CoinStar machine. I'll get a pic soon.
  • Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    Non-US coins:

Zot's Finnish silver 50 penniä 1872

Zot's high grade Finnish silver 50 penniä 1916

Zot's Finnish silver 25 penniä 1901

Zot's Swedish silver 2 Kronor 1880

Jewelry:

Silver cross (0.813 fine)

Jewelry?
    Zot's brooch with female figure skater

Jewelry?
    Zot's Girl Guides membership brooch

Jewelry?
    Zot's olympic pin
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options
    I'll nominate my 1917 Type II SLQ for Best U.S. Coin.

I lust for silver.
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    ttt
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    here's my entry for best relic...a copper square nail with a piece of the ship still attached......probably from the wreck of the "tifton", 594 tons, four masted schooner built at mystic in 1905 and went down in 1926 near where i was hunting .......hh

"see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭
    I might as well take a chance with these for best jewelry...

#1) Found in South Jersey while on vacation. It is the "ram," a.k.a, the Aries symbol. Posted on the forum here

#2) Found this one on Saturday (Apr 21st) at the beach. Looked like a Breitling at first glance! then just realized it is probably from Wal Mart, but it is water resistant and is still ticking!
  • Options

<< <i>I want to nominate myself for wildcard finds. My job recently moved from one building about 9 miles down the road to the one I'm in now. There is a vending machine room with about 10 different machines (coffee, candy, pops, nukem food ect...) I’ve gone in there 5 times in month that I have been in this building and have come out with almost $5 in left behind change and a 20oz bottle of water. And it's not that I'm checking the slots, the coin returns on these are completely visible. Only one of my 5 trips didn't produce any return and one had $2.00 in one machine alone.

Rob

I believe if anybody was around when I went in, I might not have taken the money. >>

When I was in the Marines... every day at work (the soda machine was across from my shop) when I got there (I was usually first) there would be quarters all over the ground in front of the machine. About every 20min or so, the machine would spit out a quarter... all night. This happened for about 3 weeks straight.
  • Options
    My wildcard entry...

Considering the vast change in currency over the last years, finding old bills in circulation is rare. To receive one from the BANK however... amazes me.

I cashed a check for $1874 today for a job I did over the weekend. Wrapped up in the 18 $100 bills, was one that specifically caught my eye...

Its a 1985 in GREAT condition. I was going to take a pic but my batteries are dead... Ill get one in the next few days!!!
  • Options
    Hello, I`d like to enter a coin (I dug up last year) in the U.S. Coin category. I`m relatively new to this site although I`ve been reading topics for a while.
  • Options
    My Best US Coin

I'd like to enter this 1910 V nickel for the Best U.S. Coin nomination:

• Options
    DesertRatDesertRat Posts: 1,791
    only the second ring I've found so I'll enter it.

And I'll enter the silver hair clip with authentic imitation diamonds.
  • Options
    hope its not too late to add this. all the details are actually there, i just need to clean it. its a plain or no MM 1897 quarter.
  • Options
    For Willdcard catagory, this 2 inch Hopewell point pictured as found.

Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage