Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1984-85 Topps Gretzky...Submit or Not??

Sorting through @ 3000 1981/82 Topps Hockey and came across some 1984-85 Topps in the box. Was hoping the the 1980's hockey experts would take a look at this scan and see if it is worth submitting. I have a few 5-day turnaround submission freebies and I thought I would throw this one at it. I have aways struggled with the 1980's cards and have had them come back from 7's to 9's when they all looked alike to me.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    I'd like an opinion on mine as well. I pulled this from the hockey rip a few months ago. That looks like a solid 9 (if the corners aren't soft) with a possibility of a 10 to me. image

What do you think of mine?

* '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭
    The first one looks like an 8. Soft top left corner, imperfect centering, and chipping on the bottom edge. The second one could be a 9 unless the scan doesn't show some flaw, but are there some print issues going on? Could be your scanner, but looks like some snow near the top and smudging by his name.

Joe
    No such details will spoil my plans...
  • Options
    SheamasterSheamaster Posts: 542 ✭✭✭
    Not sure if this scan will help or not, but here's a few for comparison...

• Options
    Around 1991, Myself and another purchased a huge hoard of 1984-85 Topps. We submitted hundreds of the
    Gretzky card and made the first (10). It brought $3450 in a Superior Sports auction.

I don't know if this helps or not, but, it took literally hundreds and hundreds to get one GEM MINT 10.

The second one appeared on ebay a couple years ago, and I bought it. I paid $500 for it. I put it in
    auction and it brought $750.

If you get a ten, be prepared for a much lower price. I don't know how many there are now, as I have
    not checked in quite a while, although, I will say, it is probably easier to get a (10) now than it was a
    few years ago.

Hope it helps,
    Tony
    KalineFan
  • Options
    OnlypsahockeyOnlypsahockey Posts: 1,479 ✭✭
    They should both pull a 10.

Compared to the 9 sheamaster posted that is.

Arny, yours looks like it has a slight tilt!?
    57 Topps (83%) 7.61
    61 Topps (100%) 7.96
    62 Parkhurst (100%) 8.70
    63 Topps (100%) 7.96
    63 York WB's (50%) 8.52
    68 Topps (39%) 8.54
    69 Topps (3%) 9.00
    69 OPC (83%) 8.21
    71 Topps (100%) 9.21 #1 A.T.F.
    72 Topps (100%) 9.39
    73 Topps (13%) 9.35
    74 OPC WHA (95%) 8.57
    75 Topps (50%) 9.23
    77 OPC WHA (86%) 8.62 #1 A.T.F.
    88 Topps (5%) 10.00
  • Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    Being that it's Gretzky, I'd submit it. Both of them. I use cheap grading specials though so I would submit any Gretzky in that era that looked good. Heck, why not.
  • Options
    SheamasterSheamaster Posts: 542 ✭✭✭

<< <i>They should both pull a 10.

Compared to the 9 sheamaster posted that is. >>

Jeesh, who peed in your cheerios?
  • Options
    Arny's looks like a 9...slightest tilt...

samspop...I wouldn't submit unless you want to waste your $$ on an 8. Top right corner has a slight touch (?) or cling on. Middle left border..1/2 way down the card has either a slight notch or black mark.

I've graded a ton from 84 through 88 and they are tough!!
  • Options
    cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    From the scans, they both look like 9's to me. Take a 10x loupe to the corners, if they show virtually no wear, you're both winners.

A slight tilt or a couple of specks of snow or print usually won't knock them down to 8's. At least not from my experience submitting.

Good luck on them. Let us know how they turn out.

Rich