Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Steve Soloway--What a Collection!!!!

When I spoke at the PSA Set Registry Luncheon at the National last year, after I told a joke about Joe I mentioned ten or so collectors in the room that in their own ways had outstanding collections from Mike Rakosi to the Rabbi to Don Spence to King Kellogg and more.

When Joe announced the award for Collection of the Year, it was jointly won by Don Spence andSteve Soloway. I knew of Don Spence well but did not know of Steve and since I collect in many different areas I thought that was odd. It turned out that Steve collected a lot of the same sets I did but because he is a mid-grade collector he flies under the radar screen a bit.

In looking at the megasets in baseball, I noticed that Steve was 100% complete on the Big 3(T206, 52 Topps and 33 Goudey). Because I compete in the 39-41 Play Ball megaset I knew he was 96% complete there aswell as 99.7% complete in the 48-55 Bowman megaset and 96% complete in the Topps 1950s sets which I believe includes every single variation.

In addition to all these sets Steve is 100% complete in T201 Mecca Double Folders, 100% complete in Hassan T202 Triple Folders, 100% done in T205, 1915 Cracker Jack, 1933 Delong, 1934 Goudey, 1934-36 Diamond Star, 1932 U.S. Caramel and I believe every Topps set 1960-68.

This is an unbelievable accomplishment....and I believe each one has a set rating of 5.3 or higher(I'd have to double check that one).

I had thought that Don Spence was a shoo-in to be the next member of the PSASet Registry Hall of Fame and he has a stunning collection. But certainly Steve is also deserving with what he has done. I think both are deserving of being the 5th and 6th members of the Set Registry Hall of Fame this year.

Jim

Comments

• Options
    kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    Soloway has the best collection in the world.
  • Options
    marinermariner Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, Steve does have a very impressive collection, no doubt about it. It is Hall of Fame worthy.
    Don

Collect primarily 1959-1963 Topps Baseball
    set registry id Don Johnson Collection
    ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who are the current hall of famers?
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Who are the current hall of famers? >>

Go to set registry home and there is a link for those guys
  • Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Soloway has the best collection in the world. >>

Maybe graded. You need to take a look at Lionel Carter's collection before you pass out "best awards".
    W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Soloway has the best collection in the world. >>

Maybe graded. You need to take a look at Lionel Carter's collection before you pass out "best awards". >>

I think that was just Koby being Koby
  • Options
    DavalilloDavalillo Posts: 1,846 ✭✭
    In terms of numbers of truly vintage sets--particularly the pre-war stuff he is unmatched but others have much higher grades on what they do have.

I think it is a great collection and I think Joe ought to consider breaking the one per year person that goes into the HOF and let both Don and Steve in.

I think Don Spence may have the best graded card collection of anyone on the registry.
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭

<< <i> It turned out that Steve collected a lot of the same sets I did but because he is a mid-grade collector he flies under the radar screen a bit.
    >>

With all due respect, Jim, in case anybody is misled by this statement, Steve's collection of nearly every vintage set imaginable in ex/mt to near mint can hardly be called "mid-grade". I should have become a doctor.image
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Mark

Linky no workie.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    DavalilloDavalillo Posts: 1,846 ✭✭
    Mark,

Cards graded 5 or 6(which I believe most of his vintage cards are) are not mid grade?

Jim
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    Steve, I tried to relink and it doesn't seem to work.

Jim, I wasn't saying you were wrong, I just wanted to clarify for those who may feel mid-grade is more along the lines of VG to VG/EX. I know I do.

If anybody can show a link or a clean composite of Steve's sets, I think it's worthwhile. Aside from having the only 100% complete T206 set on the registry, here are a few of his vintage sets:

The Steve Soloway Collection Baseball: 1887 Allen & Ginter (N28) 3.957 100.00% 3.957 13
    The Steve Soloway Collection Baseball: 1888 Allen & Ginter (N29) 6.250 50.00% 3.472 9
    The Steve Soloway Collection Baseball: 1888 Goodwin Champions (N162) 4.400 37.50% 1.294 4
    The Steve Soloway Collection Baseball: 1909 T204 Ramly Cigarettes 5.000 .83% .246 7
    The Steve Soloway Collection Baseball: 1909-11 T-206 White Border HOF Players 5.387 100.00% 5.387 7
    The Steve Soloway Collection Baseball: 1909-11 T206 White Border 5.310 100.00% 5.310 7
    The Steve Soloway Collection Baseball: 1911 T201 Mecca Double Folder 6.000 100.00% 6.000 5
    The Steve Soloway Collection Baseball: 1911 T205 Gold Border 5.314 100.00% 5.314 8
    The Steve Soloway Collection Baseball: 1911 T205 Gold Border HOF Players 5.429 100.00% 5.429 6
    The Steve Soloway Collection Baseball: 1912 T202 Hassan Triple Folders 4.819 96.21% 4.543 6
    The Steve Soloway Collection Baseball: 1915 Cracker Jack 6.902 100.00% 6.902 6
    The Steve Soloway Collection Baseball: 1915 Cracker Jack HOF Players 6.750 100.00% 6.750 4
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options
    He's got a great collection. I find it interesting that the grades for his sets are all over the map. He doesn't seem to care about uniform grading distribution for the cards in his sets. This is something I personally care about. More power to him I guess as he is not restrained by getting certain cards in certain conditions like someone like me is.
  • Options
    Piman58Piman58 Posts: 814 ✭✭
    Here is his /">1953 Bowman Color set, one of my all-time favorite sets. Once there, you can find a link to his other sets on the registry.
  • Options
    Dave,

Is Steve a Rheumatologist? I saw his email (per the T-206 registry set) as arthritis@......

• Options
    Here is a LINK to all of Steve's PSA-registered sets.

Edited to say: Link doesn't work. If you go to HERE and then click on "see registrant's other sets," you'll be able to see all of his accomplished sets.