Home Coin Swaps, Tags and Giveaways
Options

how do these swaps work?

Ok how do these swaps work? I would like to participate in one but I am not sure what to do and I want to get the info before I sign up for one. I am a newbie so I have a limited collection of mostly kennedys a couple morgans and Frankies and a few others.

Comments

• Options
    claychaserclaychaser Posts: 4,405 ✭✭✭✭
    There are swaps and tags.

A swap is usually a loosely organized affair where the boss, usually Boom, pairs up people like a blind date. The pair then sends each other private messages and sets a dollar value, say $100, and then the parties send each other coins that they think the other party would like for that value. Both parties have to like what they get, and the swap is over.

A tag is different. You get approved by the "host", or the person that puts up a box of their coins to send out into the wild blue yonder. To get approved, the host will want your home address, phone number, and some trade references or history. He wants that to make sure that you are a legit and honest person, who will not abscond with the coins. You are then assigned a position on the list, and when your turn comes up, you get to see a list of what coins are in the box. If you think you want some of them, you ask for the box, and it's shipped to you. The nice thing is you can see the coins up close and personal, and select what you like and you put coins into the box of equal value. When I host the tag, the participant and myself agree on the swap, and then you send the box on to the next person at your shipping and insurance expense. An example is the recently completed "focus on classics" tag. Some tags are much more informal than this one, if that's your style. This one has a little more formal, as the box value was 2K.

Hope this helps the newbies.

==Looking for pre WW2 Commems in PCGS Rattler holders, 1851-O Three Cent Silvers in all grades

Successful, problem free and pleasant transactions with: illini420, coinguy1, weather11am,wayneherndon,wondercoin,Topdollarpaid,Julian, bishdigg,seateddime, peicesofme,ajia,CoinRaritiesOnline,savoyspecial,Boom, TorinoCobra71, ModernCoinMart, WTCG, slinc, Patches, Gerard, pocketpiececommems, BigJohnD, RickMilauskas, mirabella, Smittys, LeeG, TomB, DeusExMachina, tydye
  • Options
    scooter25scooter25 Posts: 769 ✭✭✭✭
    If you participate in a tag and don't want any of the coins can you just send the box to the next person?
  • Options
    MillertimeMillertime Posts: 2,048 ✭✭

<< <i>If you participate in a tag and don't want any of the coins can you just send the box to the next person? >>

Yes, but you still have to pay shipping which works out to about $20 for the larger tags.

Millertime