Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Just Got My Now All Time Favorite PSA 10

I just received this beauty back from grading:

According to the pops, this is the first PSA 10 card graded in the second series of 78 Donruss KISS. I have submitted most of the KISS cards that are in the pops and this is my first 10. These are very tough!

I am now over 90% done on this set but it still has a lot of work, including needed upgrades. So if you ever get an itching to submit KISS cards, I am your buyer!

Comments

• Options
    rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭

Congrats!

U gotta luv they way Ace's make-up is running! (After a solid hour or two of "rockin' out")

rd
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    rock on.

background on the kiss cards, where were they distributed back in the day? alongside baseball cards or what?

julen
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    great card!
    great set!
    great band!
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    That is a kick A$$ card!
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    mefer,
    great card. did you pull this yourself? the series 2 are hard to find at a decent price...great jub.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    jimtbjimtb Posts: 704 ✭✭
    Reminds me of my Ace smokin guitar poster that was on my wall as a kid. Great card!
    Collecting all graded Alan Trammell graded cards as well as graded 1984 Topps, Donruss, and Fleer Detroit Tigers
  • Options
    MeferMefer Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭
    I pulled this card myself fresh from a series 2 wax box. To answer your question Julen, I remember the KISS cards back in the day being right next to the baseball cards in the candy aisle. I still wish I could buy them at 15 cents a pack!

I plan on doing an article for the SMR about the KISS cards. Do you guys think there would be interest in such an article? I am already kicking some ideas around for it.
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    only if you wear makeup!

julen
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    Post a few more from your collection. That is a sweet card!
    #10 PSA Set for Topps Baseball currently on eBay under seller deeppurple1.
  • Options
    Prune
    where in the hell did you get the JR Bob Dobbs head moniker? Book of the subgenious is one of my favs. Read it in college

• Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    I was wondering the same thing. Haven't read that one, but I have read Rev. Stang's High Weirdness By Mail, which is sublime.
  • Options
    Believe it or not, it's actually listed as a choice on the forum avatars. You can show all of them in your edit area. Many don't show up, but this one did. I can't believe someone else actually knows who he is!
    #10 PSA Set for Topps Baseball currently on eBay under seller deeppurple1.
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    What a cool card - thanks for sharing the scan! Yes, I would love to read an article in the SMR about this set - I remember buying these cards when I was a kid as well, but sadly, none of them survived the many moves and life changes since then. How rare are the wax boxes to find today?
  • Options
    MeferMefer Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭
    The wax boxes pop up fairly frequently though they are relatively pricey. A series one box will set you back 150 to 200 and a series 2 box can fall between 200 and 300. Making it even more fun, 98% of the cards you pull will be complete garbage. I have yet to see a pristine box.
  • Options
    Why is that, exactly? Are the cards just poor quality, or just very condition sensitive?

Thanks for your info mefer - and I look forward to that article in the SMR if you do put it together!
  • Options
    Just Got My Now All Time Favorite PSA 10

"SHOUT IT....SHOUT IT....shout it out loud!!!"

I can't here you Detroit..do you want to party????

edited to add: BTW keep an eye on bennett_stamp_and_coin on Ebay. He has alot of these boxes in storage and put them up through out the year. I used to do alot of business with him back in the day!!
  • Options
    Prune
    Jr Bob was a classic book in college for me. Such funny stuff. Im actually surprised someone else gets it, i used to laugh my a$$ off at that book, actually ordered the T-sirts, bumper stickers etc, drank the Kool-aid I guess.

Great card btw, not a huge kiss fan, but any card that old in psa is an awesome pull

joe
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    Not a big KISS fan, either, but any PSA 10 that features a Les Paul is automatically cool image

IIRC, the card stock on these was rather thin, kind of like their 81 Baseball set.
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Dude, you do not realize how jealous I am!!!!
  • Options

<< <i>Not a big KISS fan, either, but any PSA 10 that features a Les Paul is automatically cool image

IIRC, the card stock on these was rather thin, kind of like their 81 Baseball set. >>

Ah, that makes sense then - those 81 Donruss cards are just about the worst quality cards ever printed! It drove me nuts, even as a kid then, to see how shoddy those cards were straight from the pack. If the Kiss cards are like that, I can see how getting high grade examples would be a serious challenge.