Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1974 Topps Deckle Edge...

Hi everyone,

First of all, I apologize for posting in two places -- I also just posted on the Trading board. I just came upon these boards because I'm thinking of submitting some 1974 Deckle cards that I recently found in a pile of old stuff. I don't know much about the set, so I'm looking to you guys for some information and some advice. What is the significance of the white backs? I read in a couple locations that the white back versions are tougher to find? Also, clearly these cards are worth more when they've been graded, but I guess I'm not sure if the cards I found are worth grading. I think they're in great condition, but I'm no expert. Would you guys mind looking at some scans and telling me what you think?

I found a total of 15 cards, with the interesting ones being the Rose, Gibson, McCovey, and Reggie Jackson. Unfortunately, the Reggie is the only card out of the 15 that has significant damage, which you can see in the scan...

Let me know what you think. What can you tell me about the set? Are these worth sending in to PSA?

Thanks a lot!
-Geoff

imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage

Just FYI, the full list of the cards I found is:
2. Darrell Evans
3. Bob Gibson
4. Dave Nelson
15. Chris Chambliss
16. Pete Rose
27. Luis Tiant
28. Willie McCovey
38. Claude Osteen
39. Dick Allen
40. Bill Russell
50. Dave Johnson
51. John Mayberry
52. Don Kessinger
61. Reggie Jackson
62. Tony Oliva

Comments

• Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    All I know is that 1974 Deckle Edge are TOUGH!!! I dont have a price guide for them but are one of the more significant early 70s off beat sets.
  • Options
    The 74's are tough. Nice Rose. I would be interested in it if you would like to part with it. Turn on your PM and I'll send you an offer.

Red

Looking for 81-84 Topps Stickers in PSA 9 or better, 81 Topps Scratch offs, 83 Topps Fold outs in PSA 8 or better, 83 Fleer Stamps and 81/86 Fleer Star Stickers in PSA 9 or better.
    >

• Options
    QUITCRABQUITCRAB Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭
    White and grey back sell for the same, but I find the white back a little less common then the grey.If you search the boards for "1974 deckle bob gibson" I think you will find someone in need of that card..best of luck if you grade them-I have a psa 8 that looks like a 10..this whole grading thing a little hard for me to buy into...Scott
  • Options
    PM's are now on, RedRomad...
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    There are 72 cards in set. Distributed in NE in packs of 3 with gum. Unopened packs can be found found from time to time on ebay. You can find them fairly often on ebay in auctions and stores. White are more scarce than gray. You can also find them in proof, undeckled form, both white and gray. The 2007 SCD Catalog lists a set in NM condition at $ 5000. Ryan is the big ticket but Rose and Jackson are listed at $ 275 in top condition. Gibson at $ 135. A white back Ryan in top condition would go for ......?. PSA 9s and 10s bring a premium in auctions.

Does your Rose have a discoloration in lower left corner on back. If so, it might impact grading. Good luck

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    Thanks for the info, Bishop. I don't think the Rose card is discolored, but I see what you're talking about. I'll have to check that when I get home tonight.

From what you can see, are they worth grading? The other 11 cards are in good condition, too (similar to the Rose, Gibson, and McCovey, not the Jackson).
  • Options
    The Gibson and Rose look like they are worth taking a shot at. Check 1974 Deckle on ebay and take a look at what sellers inr the stores are asking ( and not getting) for high end commons

Al
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi toughasnails...

Please check your PM.

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PM sent about the Gibson.

Shane

• Options
    ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    PM Sent on the Tiant & Oliva image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    rdeffleyrdeffley Posts: 85 ✭✭

This took me YEARS to find. No 10's exist and the 9 pop for the gray back is under 20.

**Also whoever said that white and gray backs sell for the same doesnt know what they are talking about. White backs are even rarer and definitely more expensive. The white back Nolan has a 9 pop of 2 which are both taken. So I am on the hunt for one of the few remaining PSA8's out there!

• Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭

I had a Gibson a while back and sold in for just under $300.

aconte

• Options

Al
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder how the sheet is cut up to create the deckle effect?

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

Punch-press style.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

I overdid this set somewhat. I completed it in deckled white and gray back ( whites, particularly some whites, seemed tougher than others). Also did it in cut poof ( cut up from sheets but undeckled) and those two proof sheets. You can also find the 68 Deckles in undeckled cut from sheet or proof form.

You can find the undeckled cut from sheet 74s with backs in various stages of completion. The 2 sheets above are blank backed

Al