Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Finally finished some sets over the last 6 months

Last 6 months have been pretty productive for me. I've been able to reach 100% on some nice vintage sets. Still need to upgrade on a few, but reaching 100% is the first major hurdle.
1948 Bowman Football- Licklebean has been extremely helpful on this set. I would like to upgrade the few 6's to 7's and than it will be offiicaly complete

1950 Bowman Football- The ultimate goal is all in PSA 8 minimum. Right now I would be happy to upgrade the 1 or 2 6's in the set.

1952 Bowman Large- I made a big push on this set in the last 2 months. Props to R. Snyder @ Mintstate. We completed a couple of large deals that put me over the top. I also want to thank John Brinjiac. I'm not sure if he reads these boards, but he is one of the nicest guys and extremely knowledgeable about 52 Large. He was the other cataylst in helping me to complete this set. I still want to upgrade a few cards, but I acheived my goal of reaching at least 7.0 GPA

67 Philly Football- Need to upgrade a few of the 7's, but this set is close to 'mission accomplished" in 8 or better. Thanks to Wolfbear, Art Miller and especially AEGcubs. This set would not be where it is without their help.

48 Leaf football- I'm 1 card short of completion (I need #56 B. Folsom). My goal is to finish the set in at least PSA 6. I will be looking for more upgrades here.

My goal this year is to focus on completing my many SP Authentic football sets and subsets and to put a dent in my HOF auto set. My sets are all open, and updated frequently. If anyone has any cards that I need, please feel free to email me.
Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion

Comments

• Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭
    Congrats Frank...

Did you pick all of the toughest vintage football sets on purpose???lol

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    Thanks Jason. The funny thing is that the first sets I started on the Registry were the Philly football sets. My goal was to finish the sets in PSA 7. I've raised the bar a bit since thenimage
    Once I was midway through those sets and almost finished with the ALL-Time sets, I decided to work on some 1950 sets. Since I already had some of the key RC cards from the All-Time sets, I decide to build the 48 Leaf, 50 Bowman and 52 Bowman Large. I kinda stumbled onto the 48 Bowman, only because the cards were cheap and more plentiful than 48 Leaf and in better grades. I also liked the contrast in styles between 48 Leaf (almost cartoonish in the way the card presents), 48 Bowman (Black and White photos) and 50 Bowman (they seem like mini-oil paintings).
    I decided on the 57 Topps set because I like the dual pictures on the front of the card. With the still and action shot, it feels like I'm getting 2 cards in one.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Nice Job Frank.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    congrats frank. i will have to spend some time looking through your sets!!
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great Job frank. Keep us posted with the next sets.
    W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    DavalilloDavalillo Posts: 1,846 ✭✭
    Frank,

You have really done an excellent jobs. Those are some of the toughest football sets there are to complete. The 48 Leaf set is especially tough.

Many of the people you mentioned have been helpful on my vintage football sets. Among those you mentioned, Rick Snyder and Art Miller have been especially helpful.

Jim

• Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    Frank - Great work!
  • Options
    Thanks for the support guys. It has been getting tougher finding upgrades for the sets as well as getting the last few cards. I remember needing the J. Mackey card to finish my 67 set. I was looking for a year, than 1 day it pops up on NearMints site (yes I check it every dayimage) At a fair price too.
    Dav- Thanks for the comments. It's true Rick Snyder and Art Miller are two very different guys, but they share the commmonality of being passionate about this hobby. I enjoy reading about your progress also.
    I think when I decide to start on some other sets I will take a different approach. I used to bottom feed and pick up commons when I started a new set. Now I think I will look to buy a strong starter lot and build/upgrade from there.
    Please check out my sets and keep me in mind with any upgrades. Also, check out my NFL HOF set. Most of the cards are posted with photos.
  • Options
    djspanndjspann Posts: 541
    Congratulations, Frank.

Those sets are some of my favorites, as well, and your sets in particular are outstanding. Unfortunately, I have no upgrades for you...

I've been working on the 1948 Bowmans for about 7 years, so I know how tough those can be, especially the SPs. I also collect the 1950 Bowmans and 1952 Bowman larges.

They're all very nice sets - be patient, and those you're looking for will surface.

Doug
  • Options
    DavalilloDavalillo Posts: 1,846 ✭✭
    Frank,

Buying a strong starter lot and upgrading from there is definately the way to go.

I am doing that in all my non-sports sets--one by one by one is just too much.

Jim