Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Digital calipers??

nam812nam812 Posts: 10,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
I recently read a post where a guy was saying that he sends a lot of cards to be graded, and he has all the things he needs to make sure they are worthy of submitting to a third party grading service like a 10X loupe, digital calipers......

My question is about digital calipers. I know that they are used in determining the centering (or off centering) of a card, but where would a person find such an instrument, and how much would you expect to pay for something like that? I have the lighted 10X loupe, and usually trust me eye about the centering, but if inexpensive, a digital caliper sounds interesting to me.

Also, besides the above two items, is there anything else that a serious submitter of cards would need to make sure that there are no "ooooopsies" in his submission?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    I bought mine from the snap-on truck when I was a mechanic, you can get some cheap ones at harbor freight , hope they're what you're looking for!
  • Options
    I hope they are what you're looking for

How would I know? I have no clue what I am looking for (besides information) because Ive never seen or used them, so if anyone who uses them for baseball cards has answers for to original post questions, that would be very appreciated. Thanks
  • Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I hope they are what you're looking for

How would I know? I have no clue what I am looking for (besides information) because Ive never seen or used them, so if anyone who uses them for baseball cards has answers for to original post questions, that would be very appreciated. Thanks >>

Umm, your original post questions were

but where would a person find such an instrument, and how much would you expect to pay for something like that?

I think I answered where and how much, next time I won't waste your time!
  • Options
    You did answer my original questions, but from a mechanics needs (as I understood the post you made). Do you use the kind in your link for baseball cards as well? And im not that busy today, so you didn't waste ALL of my time.
  • Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭
    I think i paid like $20-$25 for mine. Can't remember the name of the company, but found it in Geological related items. Measures the centering in MM...

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    dudedude Posts: 1,454 ✭✭
    You can order digital calipers on the web at various industrial supply chains like McMaster Carr or MSC. I bought a Swiss brand, TESA, for around $90 and it's stainless steel. You can buy some for under $50 but they are most likely cheap plastic models and the quality is suspect.

I also have a lighted magnifier that has a graduated scale within the viewing loop. This allows you to make centering measurements and also allows you to inspect the corners at 10X magnification.

The calipers are still valuable tool for precision measurements of card width, length and in particular thickness, which is something stainless steel scaled rulers can not measure accurately.

• Options
    That looks exactly like mine. I only paid like $20 though, and it is all metal except for the piece with the digital read-out. Also came with a carrying case. Made by Neiko, and works great for all of the above mentioned issues.

Here's a link to it on Amazon:

Neiko Tools USA 6" Digital Caliper Measuring Tool

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    dudedude Posts: 1,454 ✭✭
    Actually, I've revise the scan to show the one I have - which is a TESA (Brown & Sharpe model), which I got through my company. Anyway, that does seem to be a reasonable price for the Neiko. I may buy one the next time I place an order on Amazon to keep at home. Thanks for the heads up!
  • Options
    Those look great for checking for evidence of trimming, but how would you use those for determining centering?
  • Options
    <<<< Those look great for checking for evidence of trimming, but how would you use those for determining centering? >>>>

measure the borders with the calipers and then use your calculator to determine the centering. You can also download screen calipers. If you want to take that route, as long as you have a digital image of your card, you can use the screen caliper to measure the borders. This is great for measuring cards you don't have but are considering.

Screen Calipers
    Mark B.

Seeking primarily PSA graded pre-war "type" cards

My PSA Registry Sets

34 Goudey, 75 Topps Mini, Hall of Fame Complete Set, 1985 Topps Tiffany, Hall of Fame Players Complete Set
  • Options

<< <i>Those look great for checking for evidence of trimming, but how would you use those for determining centering? >>

You measure the space between the border and the picture on the card. Measure left side, measure right side. Say 6.3 on the left, 4.7 on the right...Add them together (10) and divide one of the individual measurements (6.3) by the total (10) and you get the centering .63 or 63%...AKA 63/47 L/R...

The screen rulers are ok, but I have found they aren't exact. Especially if you are working with a louse scan. But they can provide you with an idea of a card you may be interested in purchasing but don't have in hand.

Jason
  • Options
    Tnank you guys for all of the great information, and allowing me to read and learn

I think Im going to go and buy stock in digital calipers and micron microsopes right now. What time does the stock market close.....
  • Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's just tools of the modern trade. Ahhh the good old days of shoe boxes and bike spokes. image
    W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    Thanks JasP, but you are never going to be my accountant.....LOL Now I understand the basic mathematical premise though, so thanks.
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks JasP, but you are never going to be my accountant.....LOL Now I understand the basic mathematical premise though, so thanks. >>

Hey, just making it as simple as it really is...lol

• Options
    I meant that 6.3 and 4.7 isnt 10....it's 11..............LOL
  • Options
    this card goes up to 11, while other inferior cards only go up to 10
  • Options
    At PSA it's a borderline 8...lolol

• Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    I prefer using a sephalactic guage when grading cards. It helps me a lot, especially on 70s Topps cards with typical centering problems.

Lee