Home Q & A Forum
Options

MS70 coin toned in holder

mrcommemmrcommem Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭✭
Hello Ron,

I have a 1996-D Smithsonian Dollar graded MS70. This coin was brilliant white when submitted and graded MS70 by PCGS about 9 years ago. The coin acquired a small brownish stain on the lower left obserse about 2002. The coin was sent in for review/regrade and I was sent back a MS70 coin without the stain. I don't know if it PCGS acquired a new coin for me at that time or if they removed the stain. Anyway the coin looked just as it did when first encapsulated. Now, when I reviewing the coin I noticed that the stain has returned in the same place on the obverse. What do I do with the coin now? I can tell just by eye appeal alone that this coin is not MS70 anymore. I can't sell it as an MS70 nor would I try to do so. What is PCGS's guarantee in this case? Please advise.

Comments

• Options

<< <i>Hello Ron,

I have a 1996-D Smithsonian Dollar graded MS70. This coin was brilliant white when submitted and graded MS70 by PCGS about 9 years ago. The coin acquired a small brownish stain on the lower left obserse about 2002. The coin was sent in for review/regrade and I was sent back a MS70 coin without the stain. I don't know if it PCGS acquired a new coin for me at that time or if they removed the stain. Anyway the coin looked just as it did when first encapsulated. Now, when I reviewing the coin I noticed that the stain has returned in the same place on the obverse. What do I do with the coin now? I can tell just by eye appeal alone that this coin is not MS70 anymore. I can't sell it as an MS70 nor would I try to do so. What is PCGS's guarantee in this case? Please advise. >>

Please send the coin in for a Downgrade Review. If the coin is "shot", we'll negotiate a value difference for you.
    Ron Guth
    President
    PCGS CoinFacts - the Internet Encyclopedia of U.S. Coins
    www.CoinFacts.com