Home Sports Talk

Top 5 Living Players From Each Team

frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭✭✭
Here is a copy of an interesting article by HOF writer Rick Hummel from the St Louis Post Dispatch. I have not had time to dissect, but he appears at first glance to be right on. Again, I will look it over more when I have time.

Top 5: The five best living players from all 30 teams
By Rick Hummel, Joe Strauss and Derrick Goold
ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
04/01/2007

ANGELS

OF Garret Anderson
LHP Chuck Finley
RHP Troy Percival

RHP Nolan Ryan
OF/DH Tim Salmon

Many team names but only one World Series champion. Ryan could have appeared on the list of any of four teams.

ASTROS

1B Jeff Bagwell
2B Craig Biggio
OF Cesar Cedeno
OF Jose Cruz
RHP Mike Scott

"Killer B's" Bagwell and Biggio have combined for nearly 5,000 games played with Astros. Both Hall of Fame bound?

ATHLETICS

LHP Vida Blue
RHP Dennis Eckersley
OF Rickey Henderson
OF Reggie Jackson
1B Mark McGwire

Athletics had burst of three straight pennants from 1972-74 and 1988-90, but none since.

BLUE JAYS

2B Robbie Alomar
OF Joe Carter
1B Carlos Delgado
RHP Tom Henke
RHP Dave Stieb

Other than the 1998-2000 Yankees, Blue Jays are the last team to win back-to-back Series titles (1992-93).

BRAVES

OF Henry Aaron
LHP Tom Glavine
RHP Greg Maddux
OF Dale Murphy
RHP John Smoltz

If this poll was taken five years from now, Jones boys (Chipper and Andruw) might elbow their way in.

BREWERS

1B Cecil Cooper
INF Paul Molitor
OF Gorman Thomas
OF Greg Vaughn
SS/OF Robin Yount

The Brewers' history in the American League is much richer than in National League, where they haven't had a winning season.

CARDINALS

OF Lou Brock
RHP Bob Gibson
OF/1B Stan Musial
1B Albert Pujols
SS Ozzie Smith

In six years, Pujols has done enough to beat out Hall of Famers Schoendienst and Sutter, not an easy feat.

CUBS

SS-1B Ernie Banks
RHP Ferguson Jenkins
2B Ryne Sandberg
OF Sammy Sosa
OF Billy Williams

Ron Santo finishes out of the money in this ranking, too. But Sosa had 200 more home runs and 125 more RBIs.

DEVIL RAYS

OF Rocco Baldelli
OF Carl Crawford
RHP Roberto Hernandez
INF-OF Aubrey Huff
1B Fred McGriff

It's quite a statement when a franchise's top living pitcher is a reliever who pitched for the team in his mid-to-late 30s.

DIAMONDBACKS

SS Jay Bell
OF Steve Finley
OF Luis Gonzalez
LHP Randy Johnson
RHP Brandon Webb

Curt Schilling is left off, much to his discontent, no doubt. Matt Williams might take it better.

DODGERS

1B Steve Garvey
LHP Sandy Koufax
OF Duke Snider
RHP Don Sutton
SS Maury Wills

"Duke of Flatbush" Snider gives the Brooklyn-Los Angeles entry a dash of the 1940s and 1950s.

GIANTS

OF Barry Bonds
1B Orlando Cepeda
RHP Juan Marichal
OF Willie Mays
1B Willie McCovey

No contest here. Four Hall of Famers already and Bonds, despite his involvement in the steroids mess, is almost sure to be one, too.

INDIANS

OF Albert Belle
RHP Bob Feller
OF Manny Ramirez
3B Al Rosen
3B/1B Jim Thome

Feller is the only player from the 1930s on any of the all-time living teams. Rosen is a standout from the '50s.

MARINERS

OF Ken Griffey Jr.
DH Edgar Martinez
LHP Jamie Moyer
SS Alex Rodriguez
OF Ichiro Suzuki

A-Rod had to be on somebody's list and he played longer with Seattle than with any other team.

MARLINS

3B Miguel Cabrera
2B Luis Castillo
OF Jeff Conine
3B Mike Lowell
OF Gary Sheffield

All five players on this list have a World Series ring. The Marlins are the only team to have qualified for postseason play and never lost a series.

METS

1B Keith Hernandez
C Mike Piazza
RHP Tom Seaver
OF Rusty Staub
OF Darryl Strawberry

Seaver is the only member of 1969 "Miracle Mets" world champions on this team. Strawberry should have been even better than he was.

NATIONALS

C Gary Carter
OF Andre Dawson
OF Tim Raines
RHP Steve Rogers
3B Tim Wallach

No Nationals on this list, just Expos. In fact, they could use some of these guys now.

ORIOLES

RHP Mike Mussina
RHP Jim Palmer
1B Boog Powell
SS Cal Ripken Jr.
3B Brooks Robinson

The last two decades have been mostly dry for the Orioles but when most of this quintet was playing, they were flying high.

PADRES

1B Nate Colbert
OF Tony Gwynn
RHP Rollie Fingers
RHP Trevor Hoffman
OF Dave Winfield

St. Louisan Colbert was San Diego's biggest power threat when the Padres had very few of them.

PHILLIES

1B Richie Allen
SS Larry Bowa
LHP Steve Carlton
RHP Robin Roberts
3B Mike Schmidt

Not many Series titles (one) for all the talent this franchise has had. No playoff spots in 14 years.

PIRATES

OF Ralph Kiner
RHP Vernon Law
2B Bill Mazeroski
OF Dave Parker
RHP Kent Tekulve

Mazeroski's game-ending blast to win 1960 World Series is still one of 10 most memorable home runs of all time.

RANGERS

1B Rafael Palmeiro
OF Juan Gonzalez
C Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez
LHP Kenny Rogers
OF-1B Frank Howard

Howard hit 136 homers in three-year span for Rangers' precursors, the second version of the Washington Senators.

RED SOX

3B Wade Boggs
RHP Roger Clemens
C Carlton Fisk
OF Jim Rice
OF Carl Yastrzemski

If "Big Papi" Ortiz hits a few more walk-off homers, he might wedge his way into this group.

REDS

C Johnny Bench
2B Joe Morgan
OF Frank Robinson
UT Pete Rose
1B Tony Perez

Four Hall of Famers and one in exile. The driving parts of the Big Red Machine are reunited.

ROCKIES

OF Dante Bichette
3B Vinny Castilla
1B Andres Galarraga
1B Todd Helton
OF Larry Walker

The Blake Street Bombers dominate this pitching-deprived group. But then the Rockies almost always have been pitching-deprived.

ROYALS

3B George Brett
RHP Dennis Leonard
OF/DH Hal McRae
OF Amos Otis
2B Frank White

Those were balmier days in Kansas City when Whitey Herzog was managing and these five were on the club.

TIGERS

OF Al Kaline
3B George Kell
RHP Jack Morris
SS Alan Trammell
2B Lou Whitaker

Trammell-Whitaker keystone combination ran for a record 18 seasons but Hall of Fame consideration for the two has been negligible.

TWINS

RHP Bert Blyleven
2B Rod Carew
LHP Jim Kaat
3B-1B Harmon Killebrew
OF Tony Oliva

Two of the five (Carew, Killebrew) are in the Hall of Fame, and you can make a strong case for the other three.

WHITE SOX

SS Luis Aparicio
OF-DH Harold Baines
1B Paul Konerko
OF Minnie Minoso
1B-DH Frank Thomas

The White Sox' 2005 Series title was their first in 87 years. Not many alive from the 1917 club.

YANKEES

C Yogi Berra
LHP Whitey Ford
SS Derek Jeter
1B Don Mattingly
RHP Mariano Rivera

When Jeter (No. 2) is through, Yankees may have only one single-digit number (No. 6) not retired.

Shane

Comments

• << <i>ORIOLES

RHP Mike Mussina
    RHP Jim Palmer
    1B Boog Powell
    SS Cal Ripken Jr.
    3B Brooks Robinson

The last two decades have been mostly dry for the Orioles but when most of this quintet was playing, they were flying high.
    >>

I would replace Mussina and Boog with Eddie Murray and Frank Robinson.

Robert
    Looking for:
    Any high grade OPC Jim Palmer
    High grade Redskins (pre 1980)
  • baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭
    i agree
    i like boog but frank robinson and eddie murray must be on the list.

GO O'S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Very good list,c ool idea. I also caught Murray as MIA on Baltimore's list.
  • kadokakidkadokakid Posts: 426 ✭✭
    Frank Robinson was on the Reds List.

Not sure I'd go with the Moose.

McNally and Cuellar were pretty good pitchers as well.

You gotta love the Booger, maybe he got in because of BBQ.

Peace
    Trying to complete 1970 psa set.
    45% complete.
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>ASTROS

1B Jeff Bagwell
    2B Craig Biggio
    OF Cesar Cedeno
    OF Jose Cruz
    RHP Mike Scott

"Killer B's" Bagwell and Biggio have combined for nearly 5,000 games played with Astros. Both Hall of Fame bound? >>

Unless both of their careers nose-dive, I would replace Cedeno, Scott, and/or Cruz with Berkman and Oswalt.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • sagardsagard Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭
    Mattingly?

Bernie
    Paul O'Neil
    Tino
    Giambi
    Reggie
    Winfield
    Pettite
    A-Rod
    :
    Dent
    :
    Mickey Rivers
    :
    Dale Berra

all before Mattingly. image
  • Awesome lists, but I'd have to change RHP Steve Rogers to Denis Martinez for the Nats/Expos.
    Jay
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great list but PAPI gets my vote for the Sox over Yaz believe it or not.
  • Looking to Trade and Buy Tony Romo GU/Autos/RCS
  • This list is flawed on so many levels but ill point to some of the most obvious

Nationals/Expos- If you're not going to put Pedro as a Red Sox (where he is a top 3 pitcher all time there) then how about here?? He had a helluva few years in Montreal
    Red Sox- Rice over Foxx or Manny?? Manny is one of the best hitters of all time and a sure fire HOFer whereas Rice might not even get in. And again- no Pedro??
    D'Backs- How Schill isnt on the DBacks list over Gonzo is absurd (WS MVP) but not as ridiculous as BRANDON WEBB!!! He has had 1 real superior season.
    Devil Rays- ROCCO?? Come on with this- how about Canseco?? I dont think this is a "best player while on the team" list right??
    Looking to Trade and Buy Tony Romo GU/Autos/RCS
  • joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    WOW, have so many Yankee players died from those great teams of the 50's that Donny Baseball is now considered one of the
    greats? Funny that many of the teams like the Tampa and Washington have so so ball players just cause they are young teams, but
    the Yanks top 5 list can't even include 5 HOF'ers??

Im not sure the rule on how the players are represented on each team, but Im pretty sure that Shill played more years with the
    Phillies than the Dbacks.

Kevin
  • metalmikemetalmike Posts: 2,152 ✭✭
    The Cincinnati Reds ROSE BENCH PEREZ LARKIN MORGAN skankees nope
    USN 1977-1987 * ALL cards are commons unless auto'd. Buying Britneycards. NWO for life.
  • WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    I would replace Vida Blue on the A's with Canseco. He tore it up in his early years with Oakland.
  • frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This list is flawed on so many levels but ill point to some of the most obvious

Nationals/Expos- If you're not going to put Pedro as a Red Sox (where he is a top 3 pitcher all time there) then how about here?? He had a helluva few years in Montreal
    Red Sox- Rice over Foxx or Manny?? Manny is one of the best hitters of all time and a sure fire HOFer whereas Rice might not even get in. And again- no Pedro??
    D'Backs- How Schill isnt on the DBacks list over Gonzo is absurd (WS MVP) but not as ridiculous as BRANDON WEBB!!! He has had 1 real superior season.
    Devil Rays- ROCCO?? Come on with this- how about Canseco?? I dont think this is a "best player while on the team" list right?? >>

Keep in mind that the list is for LIVING players. That means Jimmie Foxx can't be on the list. I think Pedro should be on the list as well as Manny.

Shane

• ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Red Sox- Rice over Foxx or Manny?? >>

You mean Jimmie Foxx? He's been dead for 40 years.
  • expos

the HAWK
    Vlad
    Pedro
    gary Carter
    Steve Rogers
  • dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All in all, a very fine job by Hummel with Powell over Murray being the only clearly indefensible choice that I can see (although there are a few more I would have chosen differently). I thought I saw another, but was saddened to realize that Eddie Mathews was dead - I hadn't realized that.
    This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Indians!

Bob Feller (one of the nicest people I have ever met, and he was at my very first card show) HOF
    Jim Thome future HOF
    Albert Belle
    Manny Ramirez future HOF
    Phil Niekro 300 game winner, HOF
  • dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Indians!

Bob Feller (one of the nicest people I have ever met, and he was at my very first card show) HOF
    Jim Thome future HOF
    Albert Belle
    Manny Ramirez future HOF
    Phil Niekro 300 game winner, HOF >>

It took me a few minutes to figure this out, too, but Hummel is only considering what a player did for a particular team - so Niekro doesn't belong on the Indians list (although I would have put him on the Braves list over Murphy or Glavine). The first name to really grab my attention was Mike Scott on the Astros, but that's a reasonable choice as long as you don't consider Ryan's service on any other team.
    This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • KOBEcollectorKOBEcollector Posts: 3,873 ✭✭
    I personally think Dwight Gooden needs to be on the Met list over Staub
  • Cool list, I didn't see the article.

My changes:

Mets: Add Dwight Gooden drop Keith Hernandez

Orioles: Add Mike Cuellar drop Mike Mussina
    Holes-in-One
    1. 7-17-81 Warrenton GC Driver 310 yards 7th Hole (Par 4)
    2. 5-22-99 Warrenton GC 6 iron 189 yards 10th Hole
    3. 7-23-99 Oak Meadow CC 5 iron 180 yards 17th Hole
    4. 9-19-99 Country Lake GC 6 iron 164 yards 15th Hole
    5. 8-30-09 Country Lake GC Driver 258 yards 17th Hole (Par 4)

Collector of Barber Halves, Commems, MS64FBL Frankies, Full Step Jeffersons & Mint state Washington Quarters
  • aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    Pedro should be on the Nationals and/or Red Sox list.
  • jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Frank Robinson was on the Reds List.

Not sure I'd go with the Moose.

McNally and Cuellar were pretty good pitchers as well.

You gotta love the Booger, maybe he got in because of BBQ.

Peace >>

pretty sure dave mcnally died a few years ago
  • PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    For the A's list, I would replace either Vida or McGwire with Campy Campaneris, the best shortstop in their history. No way do they win three rings without him.
  • I'm not impressed by the rationale of this list at all. Regarding the Mets group, I think of Keith Hernandez (career-wise) as a Cardinal and Staub as an Expo - not Mets.
    Wise men learn more from fools than fools learn from the wise.

• stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The first name to really grab my attention was Mike Scott on the Astros, but that's a reasonable choice as long as you don't consider Ryan's service on any other team. >>

Sorry but I didn't notice this post until now.

It surprised me as well at first.

I hate to say it but while Scott was considered a hero by many (including myself), I would replace him with Oswalt, Reynolds, or even JR Richard.

Please don't smite me, oh great Scott image
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • At the peak of each player's game, I think I would take J.R. Richard over any of the listed Astros. Scott was a great pitcher for a while though.
    #10 PSA Set for Topps Baseball currently on eBay under seller deeppurple1.