Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

1654 french coin??

I collect US coins and have little knowledge of foreign coins. I am not even sure what country this is from
This 1654 coin was given to me about 20 yrs ago while I was visitng a friend in Belgium. His house was from the 1600's and I believe he found it in the house.
I have always wondered what this coin design would look like in good shape. It appears to have a porcupine or hedgehog on the reverse.
Any info would be appreciated
imageimage

Comments

• Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    A token or jeton maybe? No clue whatsoever, but a classic coin with a porcupine on it??? Talk about unique!
  • Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    It is indeed a French "coin", or more properly referred to as a jeton (token). It is in the name of King Louis XIV, but there are tons of jetons from his time out there, and even tons dated 1654. I tried a quick skim of CGB's google results, but haven't found it yet. (CGB is a huge dealer of French numismatic material of all kinds.)
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's Louis XIV again, on another French jeton, struck in brass. Here he's a bit over forty years older, circa 1695 to 1700 or so.

Despite issues with its condition, your "porcupine" piece is quite interesting and appealing.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.