Home Metal Detecting
Options

Civil War Button Find

My dad found this civil war button in his backyard in Virginia with a medal detector. Thought you all might find this interesting.

Comments

• Options
    laserartlaserart Posts: 2,255
    Is that a patent date near the bottom?
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • Options
    I don't know - I looked at it under a 10x loupe but can't make it out. I am afraid to attempt cleaning. Maybe I'll take it somewhere to have cleaned and identified.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm. Confederate officers' button, I believe? That's not a US General Issue eagle. I think that's Confederate. Which is a big plus. As is the traces of original gilt being intact.

I don't have my Albert book with me (I'm at work), but I can look it up for you later, if you like. Some of the others here have Albert books, too. (Loditom, I think?)

Is there a backmark?

PS- I don't think that would be a patent date. Few buttons of the period had them, and if they did, it would likely be on the back. I think it's more likely just some ornamentation you see at the bottom.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    It would be fantastic if you looked in up in the Albert book. I don't see any numbers on the back. My dad really enjoys his metal detecting - usually at the beach when he comes to visit. This find really excited him and I would love to provide him with more information regarding the nature of this button.

Thank you
  • Options

<< <i>Confederate officers' button, I believe? >>

That's it!

C.S. Staff Officer button.
    1861-65
    2 piece convex 23mm
    B/M:"W.Dowler/Superior Quality"
    Eagle facing left, 14 stars.

Linkage

Click on Confederacy Staff Officers when you get to the link. Your example is in the top row, far right.

Very nice BTW!!
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    Dah. image

Thanks, John. I forgot about the online button resources like that one.

O.L.- Congratulate your dad on such a nice find, and tell him to pay very close attention to that backyard!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
  • Options
    thank you all so much - the online access is a great reference

i'll certainly encourage my dad to search some more in the backyard and he will be very pleased with the information you all provided

thank you
  • Options
    Just out of curiousity, what might a button like this be worth? I'm curious, so maybe his dad is as well.

Rob

I believe I can't stinking wait any longer to get a detector...except that I don't have the cash to spend on it right now.
    4/92
    4/123
    -----------
    Invested $216.76
    Return on Investment $0.68
    Found but keeping $.15
  • Options

<< <i>Just out of curiousity, what might a button like this be worth? I'm curious, so maybe his dad is as well. >>

I saw one listed for $1375 on a site. It was sold BTW.

Item 495 CS7A
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    It's a nice find and a fairly valuable button, but I wouldn't say it's extremely valuable, or worth a four-figure pricetag. I can see it being worth somewhere in the low- to mid-three figures, perhaps.

• Options
    Wow! Even mid to low 3 figures would be impressive. I've got a question about buttons, but I'll take it to another thread.

Thanks and awesome find there to Onlylincolns papa.

Rob
    4/92
    4/123
    -----------
    Invested $216.76
    Return on Investment $0.68
    Found but keeping $.15