Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

'87 Donruss Opening Day question

Is there any way to tell which 1987 Donruss Opening Day sets were produced earlier in the run (i.e. that MIGHT have a shot at having the Bonds/Ray Error RC)? Just curious.

I'm not expecting someone to tell me that there's a sure fire way to tell which ones had the error...obviously. haha. I'm just curious about any tell-tale signs of an earlier produced box in the run.

Thanks. image

-- Ryan
-- Ryan Bell

Comments

• Options
    OilCanDanOilCanDan Posts: 45 ✭✭
    I can't help you in answering your question, but I am curious to know more about this error as I believe I have this set boxed up at my parents house. What exactly is the error and how many (approximately) are there? Is there a general value on it?
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭
    The error is of (of all cards) the Barry Bonds card. The error has has Johnny Ray's picture. It has always been a scarce card and it can sell into the hundreds of dollars.
  • Options
    jamesryanbelljamesryanbell Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I can't help you in answering your question, but I am curious to know more about this error as I believe I have this set boxed up at my parents house. What exactly is the error and how many (approximately) are there? Is there a general value on it? >>

The Bonds card had a variation early in the run with a picture of Johnny Ray instead of Bonds. In great shape, they bring a TON of money.
    -- Ryan Bell
  • Options
    jamesryanbelljamesryanbell Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭
    beautiful
    -- Ryan Bell
  • Options
    Seems like it might be worth the risk to buy (the set is pretty cheap), check, and then resell if no luck.
    WTB:
    CINCINNATI REDS
    1976 - 1991 - Topps PSA 10
    1983 & 1985 Fleer PSA 10
    1985 Donruss PSA 10
    Blue Ink Signed Topps Cards
    Game-Used Bats/Jerseys
    OPC PSA 10
    MC & OC Cards

OTHER:
    Eric Davis Anything
    Votto, Willingham, Cantu, Doumit, Gomes
    Baron Davis Game Used Jersey
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    Man, that guy on the card is way too skinny to be Barry Bonds. Bonds must outweigh him by 150 pounds - his head alone must weigh 40 pounds less than Barry!

I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    "Man, that guy on the card is way too skinny to be Barry Bonds. Bonds must outweigh him by 150 pounds"

Actually Bonds looks skinnier then 2nd baseman Johnny Ray