Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Question for Master Player Set Collectors

This is just based out of my curiousity regarding the feelings of how others within the Master Player Set category handle this situation.

Background -

I have a good portion of the Graig Nettles Master Set completed in grade 8 or above with my initial goal when I started to have it 100% complete within these specifications. I know there are still quite a few cards that need to be added into the set composition, some of which I have already requested and some that I havent yet. The quandry is that I now realize that if I want a true complete set it is probably impossible to achieve it in PSA 8 or better because there are some cards that will just never be found in that condition because of certain defects inherint to that particular issue.

With that in mind I was curious to see how other player collectors who may have started with similar goals as myself have handled this situation.

Patrick
Looking for additions or upgrades to my Graig Nettles master player set on the registry.

Comments

• Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    If there is a card that has never graded PSA 8 or higher than I do not mind using whatever graded I can find. I have a Larry Bird card wherre the only one that has been graded is a PSA 4. I am happy to have the one i have though I will continue to try and upgrade.
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    I collect both the Wade Boggs and Bo Jackson master sets. My goal is to complete the sets in PSA 9 or better with as many PSA 10s as possible. Fortunately, both of the players I collect are modern players and there is generally plenty of their cards available in PSA 9 or better. However, I do have some cards in lesser grades because a PSA 9 or better is not available or is rare in that grade. I generally take a look at the population and use that as my guide. If there is plenty available in PSA 9 or better, I will pass up a lower graded card. If it is a low population, I will get LOW priced, lower graded cards until I am able to get the PSA 9 or better card that I want.

Mike

• Options
    samspopsamspop Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭
    I aim for 9's and 10's, but, in cases where a 9 or 10 does not exist or where very few 9's or 10's exist, I collect what I can. Out of the 1336 McGwire PSA's that I have breakdown is as follows:

9/10's 1225 (~86.5%)
    8's 166 (~12.5%)
    7's 7 (~ .4%)
    6's 5 (~ .3%)
    5's 3 (~ .2%)

So, about 99% 8's or better. Always trying to upgrade, though when and where I can. For awhile, I lumbered @ 9.00 as an overall grade. Have been able to pick it up to 9.06 over the last few months. PSA rates an the larger Master sets on quantity of higher weighted cards more than on quality. As an example, if a card has a "weight" of 5 and you get a 8 (net 40). Another collector would have to get (4) 10's with a weight of 1 to equal your PSA 8 with a high weight.

Just my thoughts on this. With an everchanging Master set composite like the McGwire, you basically have to collect what you want and stick with a strategy....

Good Luck
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    well i am doing the favre master set. my favorite packer, so my ultimate goal would be to have them all in psa10. but there are nearly 6000 different favre cards. so i settle for as close to completion as i can afford to get to. knowing that i wont have many of the low #'d cards. condition i strive for 8 or better but if i send in a hard to find card and it comes back a 7 so be it. i dont have enough cash to try to submitt multiple cards if i want to be near completion at some point in my life.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    fandangofandango Posts: 2,622
    I think the important column in Set Registries is the POP HIGHER column.....

if a card is rare, and the highest grade is a 7, then why shouldnt it be on the registry?? it just underscores that it is Rare and Rare in Gem Mint condition...

when a card is added to the registry, and it does not have 10's or 9's, it is taken into account by lowering the Finest Possible Set Rating (you dont get penalized by having a "low"grade of a rare card if no better exists).....

it is harder to find a rare card in PSA 10 shape due to the smaller sample size...this is understood by PSA, thus the various Finest Possible set Ratings from Set to set dependign on condition rarity.....
  • Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    If there is no other choice I will take the best card I can get and go for the 100%. In my case it is the '71 greatest moments card for my Thurman Munson master set.

Patrick, which Nettles card were you speaking of ? Im sure you know that Im # 2 on the master set behind you ( I think we are the only 2 building the set right now )
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options

<< <i>If there is no other choice I will take the best card I can get and go for the 100%. In my case it is the '71 greatest moments card for my Thurman Munson master set.

Patrick, which Nettles card were you speaking of ? Im sure you know that Im # 2 on the master set behind you ( I think we are the only 2 building the set right now ) >>

Hey Bri,

I just sent in a sub under the special and before doing so was going through the Nettles Louisville Slugger cards I have aquired over the years and was doubting whether any would grade 8 or better so I guess they are the cards that prompted the question though I am sure there will be others that I find equally more challenging along the way.

As always, if I can help you with a card or cards you need for the Nettles Registry please let me know as I would be glad to do so.

Patrick
    Looking for additions or upgrades to my Graig Nettles master player set on the registry.
  • Options
    I would rather have a low grade card in my clemente master set than no card at all, thats just the way i collect. A number of the cards will never get an 8, like most of the VENEZUELA TOPPS and some Kahns, I am just happy to get one of ANY grade. Others like his rookie card I just can not afford to get in an 8, just paid 1K for a 6 and an 8 would be like 15K or 13k more than I can afford, haha.

While I prefer PSA 8 and above, i would much rather have 100% of this set completed with lower grades than a high grade set 65% finished. Just my 2 cents.

Scott
    # 3 Clemente Master Set
  • Options
    HoofHeartedHoofHearted Posts: 2,537 ✭✭

<< <i>I just sent in a sub under the special and before doing so was going through the Nettles Louisville Slugger cards I have aquired over the years and was doubting whether any would grade 8 or better so I guess they are the cards that prompted the question though I am sure there will be others that I find equally more challenging along the way. >>

Patrick,

I finally found the Louisville slugger cards I got back in, what, 1982 or so?? I never thought I'd see these cards discussed they seemed so obscure! Are these the cards you were talking about??

• Options

Mike,

Yes, those are the cards I was speaking of and from what I can tell they were issued from 1982-89. Nettles also has a second card pictured as a Padre. The cards I have come across have some light printing "smudges" (for lack of a better term) on the front and the punch hole area can be a problem as well. Another issue that is causing me problems (though I dont have enough to know for certain if it is always going to be a challenge to find in 8 or above) is the 1974 Topps Stamp. I always see it with centering problems because of where it fell on the sheet.

Thanks for posting the scans!

Patrick

Edited because my reply was coming up in italics as a quote
  • Options
    HoofHeartedHoofHearted Posts: 2,537 ✭✭
    Thanks for the added information. I don't think either of the Nettles' would grade very high. The lower-left Lynn is the best of the lot. Is there much of a demand for these cards? I could grade and sell them...
  • Options
    Mike,

I know there isnt much demand for the ungraded singles but to your question on possibly grading the Lynn to sell I know there isn't one of him in the pop report (as far as I can see) but I also am surprised to find that there isnt a player set of his in the registry - so to make a long answer short I have no idea what it would go for if graded.

Patrick