Home PSA Set Registry Forum

1986 Fleer Basketball

Anyone have any PSA 9s they are trying to clear out?

Thanks,
Dan
Successful transactions with: vintagetoppsguy, packman, barndog, Big80s, MurphDawg, BrackAttack, mealeworm, Publius, Whiteshoes, bigredone, rube26105, ledsters, reelinintheyears, digicat, themetalsign, OSClabs, 1420sports, bighurt2000, MeteoriteGuy, lsutigers1973, skier07, Machodoc, gameusedhoop, tennesseebanker, Downtown1974, CGeorge, Salinas, corvette1340, lbcoach20, initialD, IJustLoveCards, TedSimmonsFan, Goldlabels, Lothar52, bigred1, Bosox1976, itzagoner, svtPONY95

Comments

• jamesryanbelljamesryanbell Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭
    I've been looking for unopened packs as well.
    -- Ryan Bell
  • jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    james - you can find unopened packs of 86 basketball everywhere....be prepared to spend $250 per though.

<< <i>james - you can find unopened packs of 86 basketball everywhere....be prepared to spend $250 per though. >>

Well, I've heard that all the cards were generally in order in that set, and they can be picked through easily (the packs). Ex. If card #4 is on the front, chances are that you'll get 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, etc. in that given pack.

Is this true?
    -- Ryan Bell
  • jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    I don't think it is 4, 5, 6, 7, etc, but I believe they are sequenced.

<< <i>I don't think it is 4, 5, 6, 7, etc, but I believe they are sequenced. >>

Not trying to be stupid, but if it's not 4, 5, 6, 7, and it's still sequenced....???
    -- Ryan Bell
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    << I don't think it is 4, 5, 6, 7, etc, but I believe they are sequenced. >>

Not trying to be stupid, but if it's not 4, 5, 6, 7, and it's still sequenced....???

What he means is that there is a "pattern" to the collation, but that it's not as simple as 4,5,6,7,etc...

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    Don't know if you're interested but I have
    close to 40 SGC 92's from '86 Fleer Basketball for sale.

If you're interested, pm me for a list.

Thanks,
    Rich

• << <i><< I don't think it is 4, 5, 6, 7, etc, but I believe they are sequenced. >>

What he means is that there is a "pattern" to the collation, but that it's not as simple as 4,5,6,7,etc... >>

Actually it is almost that simple if memory serves me right it goes something like this:
    3, 68, 4, 67, 5, 66, 6, 65, 7, 64, 8, 63, something like that and then sometimes the squence would break and start a different squence.
  • jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    for example i belive it was if there was a ewing on the top there was a good chance for a jordan. same true if ewing was in the middle of the pack. however if he was at the end no chance of a jordan. they werent collated based on direct number but probably uncut sheet location. meaning that most of the companies did not print their sheets in sequence. for the fleer it was one sheet of 132 cards but not numbered 1-132 in order. just like many of the topps uncut sheets. packs were probably mixed based on how the cards came off the sheets, therefore they could be in a general order.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    I bought some of Steve Hart's packs about 6 months ago at $250 each. No Jordan's but a few PSA 10s and a ton of 9s. Definitely not reseals.

Also, diamondman is correct about the sequences, but sometimes they would go up, and sometimes the would go down. There is no way to tell with certainty if a particular card is in the pack, but you have about a 50/50 chance if the top card is in the sequence you're looking for. However, like diamondman said, the sequence will sometimes break in the middle and a new one will start.

Lee
    What if there was a Larry Bird Sticker on the back? Any chance of a Jordan?

-- Ryan
    -- Ryan Bell
  • RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    they are pretty much in numerical order, CD is correct!

<< <i>for example i belive it was if there was a ewing on the top there was a good chance for a jordan. same true if ewing was in the middle of the pack. however if he was at the end no chance of a jordan. they werent collated based on direct number but probably uncut sheet location. meaning that most of the companies did not print their sheets in sequence. for the fleer it was one sheet of 132 cards but not numbered 1-132 in order. just like many of the topps uncut sheets. packs were probably mixed based on how the cards came off the sheets, therefore they could be in a general order. >>

Where could I find out more of that information? I'd just like to know so I don't get screwed over when buying a pack. I'm new the whole wax pack buying business, so I'd just like to have some ammo against fraud.
    -- Ryan Bell
    bump
    -- Ryan Bell
  • 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was in Vegas in 91 and my buddy owned a card shop here in Texas. Between gambling and shows we stopped at a card shop and they had 86 Fleers for $25 a pack. Big money considering packs were like .99. 4 of us played pack wars and I was lucky enough to win a Jordan. Stickers were not that popular so I took all the stickers with me. There were 4 Jordan stickers in a bunch 20 stickers. I thought that was pretty high for ripping 20 or 24 (can't remember) packs from 2 boxes. BTW, I still have the Jordan and 1 dead centered razor sharp sticker. Shoulda cashed them in in 98 when they were smoking hot. Oh, I have nothing to add to this thread. Just thought I'd ramble. Now back to our regular programming.
    W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    gee, I do not know, but this jamesryanbell seems to want the sequence info a little too badly. I am very hesitant to provide any to him and would suggest that you all stop providing it to him as well. We do not know who he is, and it seems more than a little strange that he is requesting sequencing on several different sports and from popular packs.

jamesryanbell, do not take this personally. There are scammers out there who get our info and turn it against us.

<< <i>gee, I do not know, but this jamesryanbell seems to want the sequence info a little too badly. I am very hesitant to provide any to him and would suggest that you all stop providing it to him as well. We do not know who he is, and it seems more than a little strange that he is requesting sequencing on several different sports and from popular packs.

jamesryanbell, do not take this personally. There are scammers out there who get our info and turn it against us. >>

I don't see how I can't take it personally considering that you are basically assuming I'm a bad guy already.

I have nothing to hide...haha. I'm just a collector bro.

Check out my personal myspace page. I'm a worship leader / Christian music artist for a living. (not that stating that would make everything ok, but my point is that I'm very open about who I am and what I do. www.myspace.com/jamersyanbell

Sorry to bug you guys. I won't ask anymore. It was just a simple question.

-- Ryan Bell
    Also, say I knew what cards to look for on 78 Topps racks to find Murray and Molitor/Trammell RCs. Why would I share this info which will obviously result in higher bids on those racks on ebay? Information sharing is one thing, but to give away a competitive advantage in terms of getting into a bidding war, why would I do that? Not to mention, say I spent a few grand on packs to get this data-- shouldn't I allow myself to profit off of my investment without freely giving the information away for no other reason than to be nice?

Lee
  • mandeldmandeld Posts: 350 ✭✭
    Yeah, I remember when I used to send $2 to the guys in the back of Becketts to get the sequences for 1989 Donruss and the like. If only I had those sequences now, I could make a fortune on all the Gregg Jefferies and Gary Sheffield rookies!

Still looking for 1986 Fleer PSA 9s, if anyone has any. Stars wanted include Magic, Mullin, Isiah, and Dominique. I need almost all the commons, looking for a large lot.

Thanks,
    Dan

Successful transactions with: vintagetoppsguy, packman, barndog, Big80s, MurphDawg, BrackAttack, mealeworm, Publius, Whiteshoes, bigredone, rube26105, ledsters, reelinintheyears, digicat, themetalsign, OSClabs, 1420sports, bighurt2000, MeteoriteGuy, lsutigers1973, skier07, Machodoc, gameusedhoop, tennesseebanker, Downtown1974, CGeorge, Salinas, corvette1340, lbcoach20, initialD, IJustLoveCards, TedSimmonsFan, Goldlabels, Lothar52, bigred1, Bosox1976, itzagoner, svtPONY95
  • MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    Hello jamesryanbell,

People try to learn the collation sequence of cards in order to search packs. Asking for the collation sequence of cards is asking someone to help you search packs. Searching packs is considered dishonest by most.

Which is why you got the response you did, you shouldn't take it personal. It is like if a used car dealer was asking how you roll back the miles on a car. It should draw caution.

Clear Skies,
    Mark
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
    How was Happy Hour diamond?

Lee
  • BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926

<< <i>shouldn't I allow myself to profit off of my investment without freely giving the information away for no other reason than to be nice? >>

Yes. I would not give the info out freely either. It would suck to have the right pack show up on ebay and you wind up butting heads with the guy you gave the info to.

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation

• << <i>How was Happy Hour diamond?

Lee >>

Happy Hour was great. 1.50 beer and 2.75 a shot for crowm royal.image
  • There were actually sequences to all of Fleer Wax packing for both baseball and basketball from 1982 - 1989. I was just a dumb kid then roughly 10-12 years old but I remember getting those lists was the coolest thing you could have. I can honestly say other than for our own fun as kids I never used them dishonestly or to rip anybody off......we did use to pick the packs and rack packs at the local KB Toy's and stuff to get the stars at that time. I actually still have many of lists and a, scared to death to buy any packs or wax boxes because of them. The only way I would suggest someone buying a wax box or packs is if you are able to actually see the case opened yourself because the lists are 1000% accurate and easy enough I could follow them at age 10.
    Hope this helps save someone from being ripped off........amazing to think at the time Fleer was the only company doing this and no one thought a thing about it. I remember the biggest issue with this when I was a kid was with the 86 fleer baseball because of the Canseco rookie and boxes being searched.