Home Metal Detecting
Options

Apr07 last update

More colonial stuff. Also found a crusty Connecticut copper that is now taking a bath. All from the same site that I found a Mass. militia button last year.

Comments

• Options
    marymmarym Posts: 713
    Tim, is that a frame?
    Be Still and Know
  • Options

<< <i>Tim, is that a frame? >>

Nice...Looks like a frame.

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    phutphut Posts: 1,087
    I'm not sure what it is, Mary. It's bronze with ovals about the size of 1800s tintypes. It was folded in half when I dug it, and the rest of it could be anywhere in the field.

I'm pretty sure that the buckle is from early 1700s. I have no clue about the two pewter pieces, or the thing under the buckle.
  • Options
    >>the thing under the buckle. <<

Part of a snap hook?
    image">

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely looks like a double frame for some early tintype (or even daguerreotype) photographs.

Too bad you didn't find the photos with the frame, as you did in your early relic hunting career.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Cool digs Tim!

I have a pile to clean myself, as I got out for a few hours yesterday.
    Pretty much a bust, but I had a good time.

Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    Good call on the snap hook, Jerry.
    Had a two silver day today. I don't have many, and have had only one 3 silver day. That was during VTH3 at this same site.
    My first Queen Victoria. Woohoo, ain't she purty.

and a BUB(butt-ugly Barber).

Also found my second Victoria (Canada large cent), and a copper that I thought was an Upper Canada one penny bank token, but it's almost twice as thick. Both are taking a bath, along with some of the relics I found yesterday.
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,749 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice finds. Now you need to find a 1898 or a 1901.
  • Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    Great stuff Tim!
    That's a very nice 5 cents!

A good entry for the April non-US coin category..
    ... speaking of which - I managed my first hunt in almost three months today, as I'm home for the Easter holidays.
    I can already now say that your Vicky will get some competition... image
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options
    Awesome finds Tim! Are these from the same site as the Mass militia button?
    Be Still and Know
  • Options
    Mary, the two silvers came from the same site as the three Barbers from VTH3.

<< <i> I can already now say that your Vicky will get some competition... >>

woohoo.....Where's the pics?
  • Options
    More stuff from the past three days.
    The piece I thought was a Conn. copper was just another King George(early to mid 1700s)

This is the thick coin I mentioned earlier. One day in oil and you can see the crust starting to flake.

The crust comes off with a flick of the fingernail.

A little cleaner and back into the oil until I have time to finish.

The other side. Looks like 1765 in this picture, but looks more like 1768 in hand. I still don't know what it is. Next rainy day I'll have to hit the books.

I like finding these tiny thimbles. This one has the initials MAS. The same as my 6 year old niece, and this piece fits her pinky.

Todays finds. It took nearly 5 hours to get these two keepers.

A 3/16 inch thick button with a stone that sticks out the front and back.

Sterling cufflinks. It actually says sterling, so it's not that old.
    Does anyone here read squiggly? CTF, CFF?

Also, had another first today.....First run-in with the law.
    I parked my van on the side of the road, not knowing that the neighborhood has had a series of break-ins lately. A cop drove by and noticed the out of state plates. He checked out the van and then drove back and forth looking for us in the woods. We watched him for about ten minutes when he finally decided to brave the mud to find us.
    We talked for a few minutes and he explained what was going on. Told us to next time stop by the police station and tell them we will be there. Nice cop. I kind of felt bad about his shoe full of mud.
  • Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    OK, first of all:

Those are extremely cool digs!

About your coin.....
    Remember this post? image

Your coin is a Swedish 2 Öre. Some data on yours (from Krause)

KM # 461
    Weight: 28.3 g
    Composition: Copper
    Ruler: Adolf Frederick
    Obverse: Crown above lion rampant
    Reverse: Crown above crossed arrows, value, date

Possible mintages:
    1765: 5,304,000
    1768: 168,000 (no difference in value though)

Very cool coin, congrats!
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options
    Thanks Erik.
    Kind of cool that we found the same coin almost a year, and several thousand miles apart.

Forgot to mention...The Canada large cent is 1884 and the IHC was an1859. I say was because I killed the date trying to clean it. Grrr aargh
  • Options
    Very nice finds Tim. I too will have to give you a you suck. I think the letters on the cufflinks are CFJ. The last letter could be a T though, but I doubt it. Congrats again

Gary
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    Went out Sunday to a super secret hidden field behind the field that I found the Peru 8 Reale last year. I didn't know it was there until I checked out the area on wikimapia......Skunked, though I did find a glass insulator.
    Went out Monday after work to one of my 1635 sites.....Skunked.
    Went out Tuesday after work. Nearly skunked. the site threw a bone as I was leaving.
    1968 Canada 10 cents

I left work early yesterday to get my fix before the rain and snow. Didn't get skunked.

It was slow at first.
    Some crusty relics

The leather fastener was found on Saturday. I forgot to edit it out of the picture.
    The crusty thing says Washington's Hatchet. Must've been a tiny cherry tree.

Then I found this Sterling ring.

I was happy with the ring, so I decide to hit a part of the site that I knew would not be very productive, but has the potential to produce some really old stuff.
    It wasn't productive. Two crusty IHCs. 1872 and a no date copper nickel.
    I went back to the open field where I had found Canadian coins on previous hunts and started diggin even the tiniest of blips.
    The rest came from a ten by ten area and where all deeper than my shovel. 8 to 14 inches down.
    1856 US cent
    4 Canada large cents 1891, 1895, 1904, 1906

1837 Canada Half Penny

My first US 3 cent piece

1893 Canada 5 cent silver

1898 Canada 5 cent silver. Another first...The first damage that I caused. After digging the thawed 8 inches out I could see the coin under the frozen layer. I took my shovel and started to chop at the ice a couple inches away. I hit the edge of the hole and the shovel bounced directly to the center. It was one of those 'oh phut' moments.

and finally, 1899 Canada 10 cent
  • Options
    kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭
    WOW !! Is about all I can say, what a spot! image
  • Options
    Very very nice sir.
  • Options
    Wow Tim, you always seem to unearth the most incredible items! I need to do some serious reseach into older sites for this season. You make it all look so easy, but we know the amount of time and effort you put into your digs and it shows with your results!!
    Be Still and Know
  • Options

<< <i>The piece I thought was a Conn. copper was just another King George(early to mid 1700s) >>

imageimage

Geeze Tim! You're kickin A$$!

Where do I start?!
    Congrats on the 3 cent piece!
    And all that Canadian coinage is cool!
    I love the Washington axe and the thimble!

You have a shot at a sweep monster in the polls this month!

BTW-You suck like a massive black hole!
    imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>Geeze Tim! You're kickin A$$! >>

Oh, and you sound surprised to hear that, John?

<< <i>The piece I thought was a Conn. copper was just another King George(early to mid 1700s) >>

Gee, darn. Just another King George copper. Bummer.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    ah geesh! thats stinks? not!....hh
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Very impressive as always sir. image
    I lust for silver.
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Had a good day Saturday. It almost made up for the 2.5 to 1 skunk day/non-skunk day average of the past year.
    I had other plans with a friend, but they fell through so I went to a woodlot that I've THed a few times before. It was slow at first. Bullets and bird tags for the first 2 hours. Then I stumbled across a hidden cellar hole. Two rooms and a well are clearly visible. I hit the place hard for a few hours.

Some kind of button or cufflink. looks like it had a large stone, or something in it at one time.

The coins need a lot more time in olive oil before I attempt a cleaning.
    US large cent 1847. Has four letters or characters stamped across the face.

Another US cent 1840. These should clean up failry well in a week or so.

US two cent1865.

Another first......1863 Civil War Token. A little more soaking and picking, and off to the keeper, type folder.

1793 North Wales Half Penny Conder token.

These were probably lost two seasons ago. They were barely covered with wet leaves.
  • Options
    I love the large cents and 2-center. That Civil War token is pretty sweet as well.
    I lust for silver.
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    WOW! ! !
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    Very nice Tim. Keep it up.

G.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    I could swear that the North Wales halfpenny used to be (or perhaps still is) listed in the Redbook with the American colonials, as any pieces with an even vague connection to America often were/are. However, I don't see it with the colonials on coinfacts.com, and my Redbook is not within reach at the moment.

Wow, wow, and ... wow.

• Options
    Thanks for the replies image

Rob, I was hoping the North Wales token was one from the red book. My Washington funeral medal could use some company. I cleaned it a little more and edited the picture.

Dial-uppers....This format, of one thread per month, makes it easy for me, but I was wondering if it takes too long to load. Ok, or should I spread it out a little more?

On to the next batch.

Bells, buttons, bullets, buckles, coins, tokens, pointy rocks, etc.. I have no focus this month.image

Early to mid 1700s buckle

Pointy rocks
    This piece is close to 4 inches. Not sure what it is, but nature did not shape it this way. The stains would not come off with a baking soda and toothbrush scrub.

1 1/4 inch tip. I may have the rest of this in last years finds.

1944 US dime

I don't know

I Take The Responsibility hard times token.

1788 NH quarterimage and a chunk of lead with letters on it.

This thing is so tiny that I can't get a good picture. Looks like an Eagle with shield button.

Not pictured: 4 large copper slugs, various unidentifiable things, and my first poison ivy spot of the year.
  • Options
    24th hunt

• Options
    Nice finds! You sure do find a lot of Canadian stuff.
    I lust for silver.
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    My gawd Tim, you stumble on to the greatest sites! The pieces of glass shown with the rocks look interesting, or are those stones of some type? And the coins just get better and better!
    Steve mentioned something that I've been wondering about too. You do find a fair number of Canadian coins, are you updstate NH?
    Be Still and Know
  • Options
    Tim,
    You're "I don't know" from you're last post looks like it has the outline of a Hobo nickel. Possibly?
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies!
    Mary, the blue and pink pieces are glass. The piece in the top pic, next to the buckles, is deep purple. I threw them in the pictures to add some color.
    I live on the seacoast of NH, but all the Canadian coins came from a ten foot by ten foot area in the middle of a 60plus acre lot in Amesbury Mass. Oddly enough, I had to dig a hole for each one. Not even one, two coin hole.

Gary, the 'I don't know' is a large copper. Probably another King George. They're fairly common around here. I call them 'Stinkin' Lincolns of the 1700s'.

A couple more finds from tonights hunt in Stratham NH.

1850 US dime
  • Options
    Tim,
    Have you had a "You suck" recently? You just got one. Those are terrific finds. Congratulations guy. I'm envious. image

G. Man
    imageimageimage
  • Options

Looks like an awl.

Cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    Any idea what this is? I found one of these earlier this year and don't have a clue....Nice finds by the way

• Options
    It's a Crotal bell, or Sleigh bell. They come in all different sizes. This one is a number 7.
    If you found one of these larger ones, you probably have a virgin site worthy of hammering.
  • Options
    Saturday- Good day out.
    Sunday- I ended April with a skunkimage

Saturday

1928 US Dime

Brit King William 1699 plus or minus

King George 1730ish

1806 US Half Cent

1875 US cent

Some kind of straining spoon

Silver thimble. Around 6 inches deep and in three seperate holes. The tiny piece was a tough find.

This looks like it was bought and dropped not very long ago. It was barely covered with a few leaves.

Henber sterling mechanical pencil. This was also in two different holes.
  • Options
    Cool half center image ...
    Think it'll clean up?
  • Options
    I see the suck-fest is still raging on! imageimage

imageimage