Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

What is the new "SPECIAL" this month? ANYONE KNOW?

Anyone know? Thanks in advance.

Tony
KalineFan

Comments

• Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    Send in your Kaline cards and they'll shred them for Free!

No limit!

• Options
    Every month someone gets a "heads up" before the special arrives yet this month no one's talking.....
  • Options
    JohnnyDJohnnyD Posts: 520 ✭✭
    PSA sure has a funny way of working. When my neighborhood department store runs a sale, they advertise the sale at least a day or so before it begins. At PSA, when they run a special, they wait a day or so after the special was supposed to start before advertising it. Put me in charge of that department and I would have the specials for the next three months posted ahead of time and would take recommendations from boards like this for future specials. Oh well......
  • Options

<< <i>PSA sure has a funny way of working. When my neighborhood department store runs a sale, they advertise the sale at least a day or so before it begins. At PSA, when they run a special, they wait a day or so after the special was supposed to start before advertising it. Put me in charge of that department and I would have the specials for the next three months posted ahead of time and would take recommendations from boards like this for future specials. Oh well...... >>

You have a GOOD business mind. Shame on you. PSA has no use for you...
  • Options
    Special this month is?: there is No special this monthimage
  • Options
    They went old school:

April Special

cards 1953 and earlier $8.00 each

Sports and non sports $75 value 25 card minimum
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)
  • Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    Wow, if that's really the special, that's pretty cool. I can't use it but I know there's a lot of guys here that have been begging for a special like that!
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    works for me, very cool!

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    I'm gonna start packing!
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options
    JohnnyDJohnnyD Posts: 520 ✭✭
    How does PSA inforce the $75 value for a special? Is it based on your (the submitter) estimate of the value, or do they have their own scale? In other words if I submit a HOF rookie card from 1952 for the new special that has a book value of several hundred dollars, will they take it if I place a $75 value on it?
  • Options

<< <i>How does PSA inforce the $75 value for a special? Is it based on your (the submitter) estimate of the value, or do they have their own scale? In other words if I submit a HOF rookie card from 1952 for the new special that has a book value of several hundred dollars, will they take it if I place a $75 value on it? >>

Probably not

It's loosely based on value in PSA 6 or I believe for 1953 and earlier. PSA 8 for 1971-Present I know.

In other words, you won't get away with tossing a mid-grade 52 Mantle on your submission with a $75 declared value. Most HOF'ers aren't going to qualify for this special. It's pretty much just going to be commons and some regional stars probably.
  • Options
    cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    Good special however I find the minimum of 25 cards hard to reach. I just have a few'33 Goudeys commons that I would like to grade.
  • Options
    A great special for the older cards! It's good for everyone that sent in a March special too! There isn't an overlap of cards and psa will have some time to get the flood of cards from the '67-present special graded before May's special is posted!
    Paul
  • Options
    twileytwiley Posts: 1,923

<< <i>How does PSA inforce the $75 value for a special? Is it based on your (the submitter) estimate of the value, or do they have their own scale? In other words if I submit a HOF rookie card from 1952 for the new special that has a book value of several hundred dollars, will they take it if I place a $75 value on it? >>

I called PSA on the phone about this very issue. They explained to me that $75 declared value is for insurance purposes only on the return shipping. It has nothing to do with what the card is really worth in SMR or raw...

Yes you can send a card that is worth hundreds of dollars for grading but when declaring the value for return shipping insurance it cant be over $75...
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭

Now, I don't mean to sound ungrateful, but I did a little digging of past submissions. This was actually the standard cost for this grading tier in 2005. In that same year, the September special was a $5 nonsports special, nineteenth century on up. Do you think we'll ever see that one again?
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options

<< <i>image

Now, I don't mean to sound ungrateful, but I did a little digging of past submissions. This was actually the standard cost for this grading tier in 2005. In that same year, the September special was a $5 nonsports special, nineteenth century on up. Do you think we'll ever see that one again? >>

Maybe. But I'll be known as XanaduALongTimeAgo by that point.

I'm really not that impressed with the special. So it's $2 off/card as opposed to the bulk? Really?

For a 25 card submission it's $200 and you'll see them in 2 1/2 months. Or, it can be $325 and you'll see them in 1-2 weeks w/ the set registry special. I'm not even sure I'll make a sub but I suppose I ought to just because it certainly isn't ever going to be cheaper, apparently.

Arthur
  • Options

<< <i>

I called PSA on the phone about this very issue. They explained to me that $75 declared value is for insurance purposes only on the return shipping. It has nothing to do with what the card is really worth in SMR or raw...

Yes you can send a card that is worth hundreds of dollars for grading but when declaring the value for return shipping insurance it cant be over $75... >>

You can bet they will not grade a 52 topps mantle or any significant HOF card on this special, regardless of what you declare. You might be able to "sneak" a few higher end cards on it but don't push your luck too much.
  • Options
    twileytwiley Posts: 1,923

<< <i>You can bet they will not grade a 52 topps mantle or any significant HOF card on this special, regardless of what you declare. You might be able to "sneak" a few higher end cards on it but don't push your luck too much. >>

They will grade a 52 mantle in this special or any significant HOF card. The phone call I had they explained clearly I can grade any card. They also made it very clear it is my responsibility on declared value should my order get lost in the mail on the return trip.

This is trival because who in their right mind would send a 52 mantle or any significant HOF card and declare it only $75 bucks to save some money on grading fees???