Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Ebay Purchases - Opinions?

Hi guys,

Just curious what you all think of these two coins I recently purchased on Ebay. I haven't received them yet so these are the sellers pictures. Just curious what you all think their potential grade may be? Also if you all think they are decent coins? (obviously "I" like them, just curious what you all think as I'm rather new to collecting)

I paid $20.00 shipped for this one. Fair price?

I paid $130.00 shipped for this one. Fair price?

Thanks in advance!

Aaron
Cards: I collect Austin Kearns, Curt Schilling, Erubiel Durazo, Junior Spivey, Mark Prior, and Randy Johnson.
Coins: I collect silver and gold coins.

Comments

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The surfaces on the first look corroded...

The second has color that's off. I'd say cleaned and not worth $130.
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For the price you paid for the 2 center, you could of bought a low MS example in a top TPG holder.
  • Options
    Obviously this is a learning process, I understand that, that's why I'm here asking questions. Any other details you all are willing to share about these two examples would be much appreciated. I guess I was hoping for a better explanation about these coins potential grade, details about how they may have been cleaned if suspected (things like here's what to look for, this is why I suspect it was cleaned, etc.), and any thing else you all think may help me in my future purchases. Perhaps some details that will help me with those purchases rather then simply throwing out the obligatory "you could have bought this instead" type of statements. Any help would be much appreciated!
    Cards: I collect Austin Kearns, Curt Schilling, Erubiel Durazo, Junior Spivey, Mark Prior, and Randy Johnson.
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1838 looks alright but the 2 cent looks cleaned going by the pic. The color is off and probably grades MS60 details, NET AU.

Just trying to help.

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As I said, the two-center looks cleaned because the color is simply not right in the picture. My guess is it's a slider that's been cleaned.

The cent looks to have VF details or so, but I can't tell exactly whether it's damaged or not.

My advice is to say that a learning process should not involve asking questions after buying coins. When you do that, you end up with lots of problem coins. You're better asking and learning first, then going to spend your money. Educational tip #1: Until you really know what you're doing (and even then, be cautious) don't buy raw coins on eBay.
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
  • Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I image bluespace ant. What happened to the "E" in Cent? Otherwise not a bad buy. i cannot tell much from those photos. Bob
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I saw the large cent on Ebay the other day and I was wondering what happened with the reverse. Was this one of the coins where a U was substituted for an E, then the U was obliterated? Did the seller photoshop the U out so as to not offend? The photograph looked a little weird around that part of the coin. >>

I agree- the E in 'Cent' has been photoshopped. I think when you get the coin, you will find that the word 'Cent' has been crudely changed to a derogatory term for the female anatomy- I've seen these on eBay from time to time. As for the 2-cent, it looks cleaned, but you won't know until you get it...copper photos can be very misleading, so I avoid bidding on raw red & rb copper unless it's from a trusted seller. I learned this the hard way- I bought a 'MS-Red' '31-S Lincoln cent and when it arrived it looked nothing like the picture- it had been cleaned. Fortunately, I was able to return the coin. It's definitely always an ongoing learning process for sure!

--Christian
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,948 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Herd to tell from the photos, but I doubt you got much of a "deal."

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    sweetwillietsweetwilliet Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭
    Did you buy the second coin from a board member? The background looks real familiar, if it is who I think it is, he's a nice guy and sold me a good coin.
    Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.
    Will’sProoflikes
  • Options
    I think this thread just started a mad, mad rush on hording of the infamous "c*nt" large penny. Yeah, that ain't funny. image I bought raw this and that off ebay for well over a year til I joined this forum and learned. It's kind of like paying tuition.
  • Options
    Thanks for the comments guys. I see I have much to learn. Both coins were purchased on Ebay, I'm not sure if either seller is a board member or not. I can provide links to the auctions if anyone is interested. Both sellers offer a money back guarantee so the cent will go back if it's truly "modified" as you all have stated, especially since the seller would have greatly misled me with his description of "WEAK E IN CENTS" rather then stating it's been modified. The two cent piece may go back as well once I've had a chance to see it since the seller speculated a higher grade and made no mention of it being cleaned "This 1865 Two Cent Piece shows great detail with a nice attractive red tone. The coin has good luster grades MS 63 Red".

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file