Home U.S. Coin Forum

The world has indeed gone insane (version 4) GW auction

I really do not understand this auction.

Moon money for GW smoothie
Proud recipient of YOU SUCK more than once and less than 100 times.

Comments

• That's rather strong money for that coin.image
    Witty sig line currently under construction. Thank you for your patience.
  • MS67's are $699 in CoinWorld, and I thought that even that was high.
    To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
  • DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Isn't Centsles advertising NGC-67s for $1600?
    When in doubt, don't.
  • RVDavisRVDavis Posts: 1,137

<< <i>Isn't Centsles advertising NGC-67s for $1600? >>

I fortunatley don't get his spam so I can not say Dennis. With PCGS 66 coins getting $600, I can see as much as $700 for an NGC 67 but this one is crazy.

Rick
  • StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got an e-mail today from TNFC with their "Specials" This is what they're prices are. I'll edit it slightly so it doesn't seem like a spam ad image

TNFC NOW HAS FOR SALE A LIMITED QUANTITY OF GEORGE WASHINGTON $ MINT ERRORS WITH THE LETTERING MISSING FROM THE EDGE GRADED MS66 & MS65 BY PCGS AND IN MS65 BY NGC !!!

PCGS MS66 ONLY $699 each
    PCGS MS65 ONLY $429 each
    NGC MS65 ONLY $299 each

These are all in the new PCGS and NGC Slabs where the edge of the coin is clearly visible.

We are selling these 1st come 1st served to our ebay customers. There is no edge lettering and it is our opinion that this error has so much going for it that the sky is the limit as far as potential value. In Gem grades this coin is rare and it seems that the mintage of this error may be lower than first thought. The date 2007 and motto IN GOD WE TRUST were not struck on the coin's collar. In stock and ready to ship.

A large TV Promotion of these in much lower grades (ICG MS60) sold out at $399 each this week . NGC MS65's have sold on Ebay for $350 to $495 each. NGC MS66's sold for up to $860.

------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101

<< <i>I got an e-mail today from TNFC with their "Specials" This is what they're prices are. I'll edit it slightly so it doesn't seem like a spam ad image

TNFC NOW HAS FOR SALE A LIMITED QUANTITY OF GEORGE WASHINGTON $ MINT ERRORS WITH THE LETTERING MISSING FROM THE EDGE GRADED MS66 & MS65 BY PCGS AND IN MS65 BY NGC !!!

PCGS MS66 ONLY $699 each
    PCGS MS65 ONLY $429 each
    NGC MS65 ONLY $299 each

These are all in the new PCGS and NGC Slabs where the edge of the coin is clearly visible.

We are selling these 1st come 1st served to our ebay customers. There is no edge lettering and it is our opinion that this error has so much going for it that the sky is the limit as far as potential value. In Gem grades this coin is rare and it seems that the mintage of this error may be lower than first thought. The date 2007 and motto IN GOD WE TRUST were not struck on the coin's collar. In stock and ready to ship.

A large TV Promotion of these in much lower grades (ICG MS60) sold out at $399 each this week . NGC MS65's have sold on Ebay for $350 to $495 each. NGC MS66's sold for up to $860. >>

Here's my heartbreak: I sold TNFC a large lot of smoothies on March 3 after I found my coins. I guess I should buy one back from them eh? $25 a coin I got, and was happy to get it.

• it seems like moon money but its an error in high grade. i did a bulk submission and got no 67`s. its called free market economy i think? more power to the seller? washingtons.....its all about the benjamins?
    my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    let me think... 1.5 ounces of gold or a smoothie image
    I'll take the real gold. Even a GOLD BUFFALO (2006) from the US MINT seems a better buy than that.

<< <i>it seems like moon money but its an error in high grade. i did a bulk submission and got no 67`s. its called free market economy i think? more power to the seller? washingtons.....its all about the benjamins? >>

I got 8 66 coins out of PCGS, and 33 MS 65 grades. I am happy with that. PCGS has not posted anything higher than MS 66 yet. I am glad to see the higher grade slabbed Washington smooth edge going for good money I just think almost $1100 is too much money. 1.5+ ounces of gold? A killer 19th century coin? Or an NGC MS 67 smoothie, when we could hear tomorrow that possibly 250,000 more are out there. Or no more, of course.
    I have a pretty rare 1972 Doubled Die Obverse Lincoln in PCGS 66 up on ebay right now that is currently 600 less than the price guide. There are less than 2500 in all grades.

I mean 1.5 ounces of MODERN MINT GOLD. It's okay if the world wants to say that smoothies are worth 10,000 dollars. I'd still take gold over a smoothie with that kind of money. And if I had fifteen thousand dollars , I'd buy GOLD over a WISCONSIN HIGH LEAF in grade of 67, but that is me.
    I'll tell ya how insane it is.

I sold a mint sewn bag of Georgie Porgies on ebay for 400. My girlfriend says I was nuts for buying it for $325 from the mint. I told her about the smoothie and she ordered TWO mint sewn bags image She WILL NOT EVEN OPEN THEM.

To each their own !
    I'd still take the gold
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's the NGC pop for MS67?

Looks like healthy demand for condition rarity modern business strikes.
  • TexastTexast Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Here's my heartbreak: I sold TNFC a large lot of smoothies on March 3 after I found my coins. I guess I should buy one back from them eh? $25 a coin I got, and was happy to get it. >>

I have to believe that qualifies for a new award "That Sucks" to go along with the "You Suck"
    On BS&T Now: Nothing.
    Fighting the Fight for 11 Years with the big "C" - Never Ever Give Up!
    Member PCGS Open Forum board 2002 - 2006 (closed end of 2006) Current board since 2006 Successful trades with many members, over the past two decades, never a bad deal.

<< <i>

<< <i>Here's my heartbreak: I sold TNFC a large lot of smoothies on March 3 after I found my coins. I guess I should buy one back from them eh? $25 a coin I got, and was happy to get it. >>

I have to believe that qualifies for a new award "That Sucks" to go along with the "You Suck" >>

"That Sucks" is for when 2400% profit just isn't good enough?
  • I too was stunned to see an MS67 smooth edge... I didn't think it was even possible that one would grade that high (especially with the ones I got)....

But then... I realized when I saw one earlier on eBay, it was a DENVER coin!! No wonder, the Denver coins were like night & day to the Phillies...

So, I'd be guessing that the one in this auction came out of a Denver roll too!

<< <i>I too was stunned to see an MS67 smooth edge... I didn't think it was even possible that one would grade that high (especially with the ones I got)....

But then... I realized when I saw one earlier on eBay, it was a DENVER coin!! No wonder, the Denver coins were like night & day to the Phillies...

So, I'd be guessing that the one in this auction came out of a Denver roll too! >>

Ah, so there is a mint mark.... It's like a birth mark. We can tell which mint it came from by the quality of strike image How right you are !
    Well that is interesting. Why designate the minting facility when it's not known ?
    Might as well say it's upside down lettering, too image

• not many 67's in holders yet, that's why
    2400% profit was and is just fine with me. Now, the buyer is making their profit. I just am kicking myself that I sold so many and held back so few. Then again, I know a fellow who found thousands and sold every single coin at wholesale prices before the news hit. Things could be worse.
  • Greetings,
    I kicked myself in the lower area for not buying more from the bank here in Daytona. I found four out of forty dollars worth.
    Bruce
  • holeinone1972holeinone1972 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭
    Those prices better stay high or go higher.

I bought 6 on the b/s/t and after grading and shipping I will have $125 in each coin. Hoping for some 66's but I will make money with 65's.

I missed the opportunity when they were at $50 raw, so I jumped when I could get 6. I was not missing this opportunity to get to keep at least 1 or 2 for myself and then sell the rest for a small or hopefully large profit.

Now if I find out they are fakes, then I am off to Florida with a hacksaw. LOL They should be genuine as a froum member sold them to me, and we have exchanged a number of emails back and forth.

O well, my first chance at getting a cool error semi early in the game, I wish I could have gotten a nice high or low leaf error a few years ago, but it was not to be.

Maybe I will end up with trade bait?

O yeah, go ahead and give me a 67 and watch out FeeBay!

• 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    RVDavis -

You are one of the fortunate who picked these out at face......never be disappointed in 2400% profit.....

Now the game will be to get this in and out of grading and sold before prices plummet.

<< <i>2400% profit was and is just fine with me. Now, the buyer is making their profit. >>

Yes, but the buyer is probably making a lot less than 2400% at a cost basis of $25 each.
  • DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    His percentage margin may be lower, but I'll be his his total pile o' dollars margin is bigger!
    When in doubt, don't.

• The MS67's are bring strong money without the error, so I can see the price tag...

I pulled a non-error MS67, sold it and purchased two nice Busties..."-)

My Ebay Auctions

Currently Listed: Nothing

Take Care, Dave

<< <i>His percentage margin may be lower, but I'll be his his total pile o' dollars margin is bigger! >>

I was trying to make him feel better! lol

<< <i>

<< <i>His percentage margin may be lower, but I'll be his his total pile o' dollars margin is bigger! >>

I was trying to make him feel better! lol >>

thanks I feel just fine I appreciate the concern.
  • BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I too was stunned to see an MS67 smooth edge... I didn't think it was even possible that one would grade that high (especially with the ones I got)....

So, I'd be guessing that the one in this auction came out of a Denver roll too! >>

Not to mention that the smooth edge coins went through one less process to get banged up in.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file