Home Metal Detecting

Indian!

I got out today for a few hours. Went to an old home site near me. Found a couple of wheaties and an '07 IHC. First one I've managed to pull in several years. I was surprised too. Here's the before obverse and reverse pics. And here is the obverse after a quick, gentle cleaning. I will have to do a more thorough and lengthy job on it later. Thanks for looking.

G.

imageimage

imageimageimage

Comments

• OmegaOmega Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭
    Awesome! I can't wait to find one of those. image
  • DesertRatDesertRat Posts: 1,791
    When I saw the title I thought you found a motorcycle!

Nice find Gary!
  • That's cool, G man.

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Nice! I'm still looking for my first.
    I lust for silver.
    imageimageimageimage
  • marymmarym Posts: 713
    Great find Gary, we'll be interested in seeing it again after another cleaning!!
    Be Still and Know
  • kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭

<< <i>When I saw the title I thought you found a motorcycle! >>

I was thinking five dollar gold piece : )

Looks to have been in pretty good shape when it was dropped.
  • I put the beast in a piece of tater last night. Will let it set for a week or so. As I mentioned, this is the first IHC I've found in quite a few years. I have been detecting in the Antelope Valley since the early 80s. Back then Lancaster/Palmdale was a smallish community that still had some old town sites that hadn't been demo'd and covered with concrete. A person back then could find a respectable number of silvers and older nickels. Nowadays I'm finding more silver in pocket change than in the ground. I'm really having to "get out of town" if I want to find some oldies. That's why I always find my vacation hunts more productive on old coins. What has always interested me is that IHC have always been few and far between everywhere I've lived and hunted anyway. I know that more Mercs and buffalo nickels have come my way than indians. Any thories on that? Can't be because of the mintage numbers.

Danny, finding an Indian bike wouldn't be that unusual. Check out this thread I found on another board.

Picnic at the beach

Actually, this should be called "no picnic at the beach".

Mary, soon as the guy is cleaned up I'll post him again.

G.
    imageimageimage
  • phutphut Posts: 1,087
    WTG Gary!

<< <i> I know that more Mercs and buffalo nickels have come my way than indians. Any thories on that? >>

The date?
    I like some of the comments to the link you postedimage
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never get tired of diggin' Indian cents, no matter how crusty they may sometimes be.

I think my Indian cent total is getting close to my Merc dime/Silver Roosie total, but not quite. (Forty-some Indians, I believe, with fifty-some silver Roosies and right at about sixty Merc dimes, so far.)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • WTG!........Always like digging an Indian.....maybe some older silver still lingering????
  • Hope so. Plan on going back real soon.

G.
    imageimageimage
  • Nice work Gary!

IHC's are a blast for me, having only dug 3 so far.

Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage