Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Bay State - Beantown Show Report

ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
We did not bother with setting up as this show is not what it used to be...

Quite a shame, but the facts are that their is no major auction(s) house plus no grading services present.
Dealers need both of these services to help make any show into a top circuit show....

The show room itself is now divided into several smaller rooms and because of this the old vibe just is lacking... Basically its depressing to be stuck in a little room for hours on end...

Plus side - Many foreign dealers and a nice assortment of Colonials....
Minus side - Few of the major players attend...I did not even see JJ Teaparty there (but maybe I missed them) shame its their turf...

Highlight.... walking to a weekend vest dealer who asked me what I collect trying to sell me some silly $1 items.... another dealer who knows me and what we buy just started laughing and told him "dust"

talking truthfully to the dealers many were having a poor show....unlike Baltimore from last week which was Fantastic....
Bay State Friday was a ghost town, Sat had better public attendence, Sun it appears that many dealers will be leaving for other shows......

My tip if you are driving back ... stop at exit #72 .... its a truck stop.... grab lunch at Country Pride.... follow the signs about 2 miles down the road to the Sugar Shack... no not that kind of sugar shack...its a real Maple Syrup Farm, this is the last few days of running sap and you can get freshly made Maple Syrup from them....worth the stop....

On coins...we did manage to pick up a few odds and ends including a nice So Called Dollar HK699, which the dealer who sold it, just had no idea of the value...

We continue down to NJ and will be set up at the Parsip Show Sunday! Hope to see ya there!

Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com

Comments

• Options
    Sounds like you got a nice deal on the so-called, though! I get kinda intimidated by the big shows so this small feel might suit me as a buyer.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well you are living my dream, brother...Thanks for the report on what's happening in the circuit. So did you rip the guy on the "so called" ? image
    On coins...we did manage to pick up a few odds and ends including a nice So Called Dollar HK699, which the dealer who sold it, just had no idea of the value...
    Or did you scream and holler like you were getting ripped image ?

• Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The show room itself is now divided into several smaller rooms and because of this the old vibe just is lacking... Basically its depressing to be stuck in a little room for hours on end... >>

Yea, I noticed the same bad energy the last time I attended this show. Who's the A-hole that thought of this and why the heck do they insist on keeping it this way? The promoters of this show had better insist on opening up the floor or else move to another location. If not, Bay State will be a thing of the past in short order.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    I agree that the show wasn't as well attended this time as it has been during past shows.

It's too bad I missed John there but I needed to leave town in a hurry on midday Friday.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    capecape Posts: 1,621
    to my surprise i went on sunday and i was amased with the coins that walked in from the public. i aquired 5 very nice bust halves that 3 were r-3 and one was an r-4. they were in old anacs holders and all mint state. THIS MADE THE ENTIRE SHOW. THEY ARE OFF TO PCGS TOMMORROW, SO STAY TUNED, ILL POST THE RESULTS LATER.image
    ed rodrigues
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quite a shame, but the facts are that their is no major auction(s) house plus no grading services present.
    Dealers need both of these services to help make any show into a top circuit show....

Jon - Why do you think it's so important to dealers to have a TPG at the show? Speaking for myself, it's a minor consideration.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    TONEDDOLLARSTONEDDOLLARS Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭
    J.J. Teaparty was there. Which dealer had the so called dollar? I only saw a few.
  • Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    for a coin show to be the best, FUN, Balt, ANA.... it needs about 20 factors...... TPG is one of those factors.... may be minor by itself....but they all add up....

Baystate was higher on my list several years ago.....as it stands..... it is not....
    Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file