Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

When is your Type Set Complete?

TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭
If you have a Dansco 7070, at what point do you say it is complete? Is it when you have all the holes filled? Or is it when you are happy with all the coins in your set?

I'm 3 coins away from filling all the holes but I'm already upgrading the coins that I first started out with. I'm more focused on what I want this set to look like than I was when I started. I'm trying to get either first or last year of issue (not a rule set in concrete). More important is that I'm trying to get all the coins to have the same look (color, grade, general "feel", etc) to them. I was joking with a few people by saying that my 7070 set will not be comlpete untill all the coins are MS70s. Why do you think the number of the book is 7070? image

Does anyone have the Intercept Shield Tyep Set book?

PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.

Comments

• Options
    garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
    When the only coins left that could upgrade you are out of your price range!

No then you start submitting your own to try to get the upgrades!

When you have the top pop set with no possible upgrades image
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still doing ours.
    Need 5.
    Been doing some upgrading as well.

What we are doing is trying some for first year of issue, some where it is last/first (ie...1916 for dimes since that is barber last and merc first).
    Not really trying to match their "look" for color as some are toned nicely some are natural "dirty".

Do want to make sure all the legends are readable (if possible and staying within budget). I won't try for a modern quarter looking like what we will afford in a barber or seated liberty. Same for halves and the others.
    So, period coins (within the same time areas) may look similar (VF-AU for some of the 18xx's) but there will be difference in look and I am quite comfortable with that.

I think the typeset will only ever be 99% done for us. Once we get the last 5 coins (seated dollar is proving a bit hard) I am sure that we will occassionally upgrade some of the coins; either myself or my son as he grows more into it.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have all of the holes filled, but I have gradually upgraded and replaced various coins. In some instances, I will find a higher grade coin. In others, I choose a more interesting date (ie. 1870-CC seated dollar, 1838-O No Stars dime, etc.) I am thinking of going after an 09-S VDB cent for the type.

I have also considered doing a second type set will all problem-free G-VG coins.

Like most sets, it never really need be "done".
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine is a set of original, problem-free, attractive VF-AU coins that are various shades of dark and that are often better dates or quirky. I am perhaps 40% complete, but the easier, more modern pieces have not been included. Therefore, as a dollar percentage, I am likely greater than 90% complete. It may never be finished since there is always that coin that might sing in order to be included.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    FjordFjord Posts: 185 ✭✭

<< <i>If you have a Dansco 7070, at what point do you say it is complete? Is it when you have all the holes filled? Or is it when you are happy with all the coins in your set?
    [...]
    Does anyone have the Intercept Shield Tyep Set book? >>

Mine will never be complete, most likely. I finished the non-gold coins a few months ago, but I keep thinking about upgrades.

Intercept shield has a type set album? I didn't realize this.
    Fjord
  • Options
    TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭
    Wayne Herndon has the Intercept Type Set book for sale.

Funny that RYK shouldd mention a G-VG type set. I'm working on one of those also. My only rule is that you can read the year.
    PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • Options
    wayneherndonwayneherndon Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭
    Tootawl (et al),

The Intercept Shield Type Album will be available for sale soon. I do have a prototype that I've displayed at a few recent shows and have scans of the pages available if anyone would like to see what it will look like.

WH
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Complete" is a mirage.... you think you're approaching it, but when you get "there," it's still off in the distance.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    have scans of the pages available if anyone would like to see what it will look like.

Yes please!

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    FjordFjord Posts: 185 ✭✭

<< <i>have scans of the pages available if anyone would like to see what it will look like.

Yes please! >>

"me too"
    Fjord

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file