Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The good stuff is drying up?

image Everyone seems to have the same complaint about there not being a lot of material (coins) out there. Of course the modern stuff is all over the place. Even recent issues (I'm an old guy) such as the Mercury dime and Buffalo nickel are getting hard to find--especially affordable issues.
The answer seems to be that folks are holding on to their collections. Of course if you look at the spectacular auction results, there are coins but this material is in the stratosphere for we average collectors. I really don't know what to make of any of it.

Comments

• Options
    ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    I think that's the key the good stuff that's cost effective is drying up but if you have the bucks for ever expanding high grade stuff you can still get it. Most of this stuff is being priced out of the market for many collectors. Of course the real rare coin you always had to wait for someone to die.

Those nice XF40's Bust Halves I was buying for $300ish are now $450 to $600 but if your willing to pay they're willing to sell.
  • Options
    garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
    <<The good stuff is drying up?>>

When did it get wet? You doing salvage coins now?
  • Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
    maybe as people get more and more experienced, their tastes refine and it just SEEMS like there's less out there to float-their-boat.
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    that was my thought a few years ago.
    remember a few years ago? thats when the market was`white hot`
  • Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    image To the forum Nineeleven. Thanks for your observations.
  • Options
    BlackhawkBlackhawk Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭
    I think that the market is drying up for decent coins at bid prices. If you're willing to pay trends, there's still a lot of stuff available in most series.
    "Have a nice day!"
  • Options
    CoinlearnerCoinlearner Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭✭
    image For all kinds of reasons , bet the number of those coming into the hobby has,is & will increase at a fast pace. Good in some ways and not in others. Going foward, not liking to see cheaper prices, I figure get the pieces I want now if possible. image
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you include the coins sold at auction, the supply is hardly drying up. However, the supply is turning faster. You snooze, you lose.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    ajiaajia Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭
    As most have stated, it depends on price & where you are looking.

I do believe the local brick & mortars are having a hard time keeping stock of nice, higher end raw coins.
    My local shop carries very few graded coins, and most of the raw material is circulated or low end uncs.
    I visit mostly to chat, and maybe pick up a coin or 2.

Auction houses do carry a lot of coins that would interest me, but with their minimum charge, tax (bummer living in CA, everybody seems to charge taxes on Californians), shipping, ect., I have won a $1 lot that ended up costing me about $20!

Yes, I agree many coin collectors are hoarders, me included. image
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WimageW

Look what I found
    A watering hole !!!
  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Look what I found

A watering Hole !!! >>

That's IT !

The US Mint has a secret conspiracy to ruin all classic coinage so that everyone will become modern crap collectors. Making them the one and only dealer you will ever need.

And when they reissue ALL the popular designs of the past.......

• Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image to the Forums, Nineeleven! Enjoy!

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> Of course the modern stuff is all over the place. >>

Well sure. If you go down to the coin store to pick up a package of original rare bust dollar
    and a couple pounds of moderns then you're right that moderns are easy.

But if you want one of every specific modern you'll find the task no easier than getting one
    of every classic.

Welcome aboard!
    Tempus fugit.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file