Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Photography question (slightly off topic)

Ok, so I finally pulled the trigger and got rid of my two 20th Anniversary silver sets so now it's time to upgrade my camera with the proceeds. I've had my eye on the Canon S3 IS 6 megapixel for quite some time. Does anyone have experience with this camera or recommend a different camera? Any opinions would be great. image
- -

Ask me no questions, I'll tell you no lies.

Comments

• Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    it probably would work great for coin shots but only if you know how to get the right lighting
    and understand how the camera can be utilized to achieve the best results.
  • Options
    Rob85635Rob85635 Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭
    There are a ton of topics on cameras. I have a Nikon coolpix 5400 that takes excellent pictures but my problem at the moment is lighting and stabilization. So I am shopping for a new stand. My personal opinion is that you might want to do a search for "camera" "cameras" "pictures" "photography" in the search area and I bet you get a ton of results with a ton of opinions. There is no one camera for taking pictures but I am sure you will get lots of help here.

Rob the Newbie
    Rob the Newbie
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    How much you wanna spend? If you want the best pics, get an SLR.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    whats a good slr go for these days?
    last year i think iot was about $800 for a d70?
    if you got the scratch then ya, get an slr camera
  • Options
    seateddimeseateddime Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭
    Nikon cool pix 990 or 995 is the way to go
    I seldom check PM's but do check emails often jason@seated.org

Buying top quality Seated Dimes in Gem BU and Proof.

Buying great coins - monster eye appeal only.
  • Options
    My budget is about $400 so an SLR is a bit out of range. Thanks to everyone for the advice. image
    - -

• Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use a cheapo Fuji Fine Pix, 2.0 MP, almost 6 years old. The key for me is natural lighting
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    seateddimeseateddime Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭
    taken with my coolpix 990

I seldom check PM's but do check emails often jason@seated.org

Buying top quality Seated Dimes in Gem BU and Proof.

Buying great coins - monster eye appeal only.
  • Options

<< <i>I use a cheapo Fuji Fine Pix, 2.0 MP, almost 6 years old. The key for me is natural lighting >>

That's what I have now, Fine Pix A205. It was my first digital camera. It does ok, I just want a camera with more versatility and shooting modes, manual control, ect. And of course, more megapixels. The Fine Pix has a decent macro, but my main complaint is the auto focus and low light shooting kind of sucks. I'm looking to photo more than just coins, that's why I stated 'slightly off topic'. The A205 does a nice job with coins, especially since I got a decent lighting rig set up.

- -

• Options
    thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Ok, so I finally pulled the trigger and got rid of my two 20th Anniversary silver sets so now it's time to upgrade my camera with the proceeds. I've had my eye on the Canon S3 IS 6 megapixel for quite some time. Does anyone have experience with this camera or recommend a different camera? Any opinions would be great. image >>

www.dpreview.com has tons of discussion threads on all the various cameras, including the S3 IS. Check it out.

www.canons3is.com is the best S3 IS specific site for tips on using one, but rarely mentions coins
    I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim
  • Options
    You can get a used Digital SLR for $400.00 or so
  • Options
    thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The nice thing about the S3 IS is that it not only has both a good macro and a 10X ZOOM (actually 48X if you use both the digital and optical zooms), but it also takes excellent videos, up to an hour in length, that are just about as good as a camcorder's quality.
    I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file