Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

PCGS or NGC for Toned Jeffs - A collector's quandary

badgerbadger Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭
I have been trying to put together a toned MS Jefferson set for fun. None of these coins rank high in grade. I have been collecting them raw and it is now time to get them slabbed. Why? So, I can display on the registry. So, I can protect the coins from further toning. (I like them as they are).

Now for the dilemma. NGC will slab about all of these. However, I have been getting body bagged by PCGS. You know - questionable color, environmental damage, too pretty, etc. I have been (mostly) loyal to the PCGS boards and registries. However, I can't afford any more body bags. These coins are sometimes barely worth the slabbing fees.

Maybe I should just be happy with the Dansco Album

Badger
Collector of Modern Silver Proofs 1950-1964 -- PCGS Registry as Elite Cameo

Link to 1950 - 1964 Proof Registry Set
1938 - 1964 Proof Jeffersons w/ Varieties

Comments

• Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you need/want a Registry but PCGS won't let you play in its, then why not go NGC?
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    On my Franklins I have a Dansco album and a graded set. I could buy most coins in MS64 cheaper graded than I could buy a coin and get it graded. I love albums and always have, there no magic to me to a holder since it's the same coin. Now if I were ready to sell some of my better coins I would holdered some but not while I'm collecting.

If you really want to show them off nothing beats a full album or a capitol holder IMO. A bunch of loose slabs just don't look right to me.
  • Options
    icsoccericsoccer Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭
    I have the same type set of toners, just for fun. Lots of color! I have mine in a capital holder.
    Successful BST transactions to date: Coindeuce, Cohodk, dantheman984, STONE, LeeG, jy8s, jkal, SeaEagleCoins, Hyperion, silverman68,Meltdown,RichieURich,savoyspecial,Barndog
  • Options
    razzlerazzle Posts: 981 ✭✭
    Badger,

I'll be watching this thread with interest. I've just begun to assemble my Jeffs into a Dansco. I wondered the same thing, though. My best war nickels are in a Capitol holder, which I think I'll leave as it is.

raz
    Markets (governments) can remain irrational longer than an investor can remain solvent.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's nothing wrong with the NGC registry. One benefit is that they give you registry set stats graphics for your forum signature.

One warning, it seems there have been a number of NGC BBs that have been slabbed by PCGS, so PCGS may be the more lenient one when it comes to problems.
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Just a thought, but $30 will buy you a decent web host, and you can post images of the coins along with commentary. Airtites afford excellent protection, and if you're so inclined, you can put a link to the pics in your sig line.
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    badgerbadger Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭
    DHeath - Thanks for the idea on the link to the sig line. I do have an account with MSN Groups for photos. Maybe I could place the photos there.

TTown - I beginning to think the same thing. For a series as big as the MS jeffs, a Dansco may be a better presentation than loose slabs.

Badger
    Collector of Modern Silver Proofs 1950-1964 -- PCGS Registry as Elite Cameo

Link to 1950 - 1964 Proof Registry Set
    1938 - 1964 Proof Jeffersons w/ Varieties
  • Options
    RonyahskiRonyahski Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A fairly expensive and aggravating proposition to get them PCGS slabbed just to display them on the Registry. I'm doing a toned Jeff set myself and don't really care if they are slabbed. I used to send them in, but only do now if I think they are 66 or 67.
    Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.
  • Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Maybe I should just be happy with the Dansco Album >>

Ding ding ding ding ding!

You do what you want, but I cannot see why you would want to spend a minimum of $15 or so per coin to do this. A good webhost for pics and a nice album, and you will be all set. Spend the money to add some nice coins to the set.
    mirabela
  • Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    I would also opt for a dansco in this situation- I don't trust grading services to get it right efficiently when it comes to color right now...
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ah yes, the old puttin' a coin in the holder for your own reasons dilemma!!!! i have faced down the demon with the Proof side of the equation and have come to the conclusion that it's best for me to move slowly, consider all the options and then choose wisely which service's holder i decide to display my coins in. i would choose PCGS for reasons of uniformity but have hedged on that course since they have me all "(k)notted" up due to the stupid grades coming out of the factory, the twist being that the grade isn't important, but i digress. NGC offers the advantage of the nice white background and less chance of the BB twist, though i'd be un-uniform for display purposes.

the current state of things is that i decided to store my choices for each date in the Proof Jefferson run in Kointains inside of a flip while i continue the search for more toned dates. along the way i'm learning about how the coins tone, where the best chances of finding them are and what the best storage medium for future toning might be. i think Capital type holders are probably best followed by the cardboard/mylar 2X2's which you see stapled together everywhere---------the key to it all seems to be storage where moisture can accelerate things. i haven't tried to hasten the set's completion, that would be blatant AT in my world, but i like the results of what the rest of the hobby gives me from past improper storage. i recently came into some nicely toned 1972-1976 Proofs, bright centers and toned peripheries with a nice Cameo still intact.
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If you need/want a Registry but PCGS won't let you play in its, then why not go NGC? >>

Because no-one will ever go there to look at them...that's why. image

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file