Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Ebay Question?

Sold a gartlan statue on ebay sent item double boxed with peanuts Priorty mail, now recieve a email stating item broken (have shipped many a gartlan with no problems), buyer didn't take insurance do I just eat the item and give refund or do I tell the buyer tuff luck? Opinions welcome

Comments

• Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    my sources say yes
  • Options
    I say you eat it. This is the main reason I never ship an item without insurance. I include it in the shipping and handling fee, always lose a bit of money on the total costs, but sleep better knowing I won't have to deal with this crap.
    Mark B.

Seeking primarily PSA graded pre-war "type" cards

My PSA Registry Sets

34 Goudey, 75 Topps Mini, Hall of Fame Complete Set, 1985 Topps Tiffany, Hall of Fame Players Complete Set
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you can be certain that whichever statue you sent is indeed the one that is returned I would refund upon receipt of it (but not prior to receipt and careful inspection).

Be careful of the switcheroo and double check the buyer's feedback to see if he has pulled anything in the past.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options

<< <i>If you can be certain that whichever statue you sent is indeed the one that is returned I would refund upon receipt of it (but not prior to receipt and careful inspection).

Be careful of the switcheroo and double check the buyer's feedback to see if he has pulled anything in the past. >>

Yes I can identify the statue by number, the one thing that irks me is I personally hand packed the item and the postman would have to jumped up and down on the package or ran over it with a truck for it to break my quess ii it was broken by mishandling by the buyer. Oh well shipping costs go up and insurance will be required on all Gartlans in the future. image
  • Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I say you eat it. This is the main reason I never ship an item without insurance. I include it in the shipping and handling fee, always lose a bit of money on the total costs, but sleep better knowing I won't have to deal with this crap. >>

What Crave said. I have quickly learned that the postal insurance is for the seller's peace of mind.
    #LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    If it was a PayPal purchase, you will have to take the loss.

If the buyer paid by check/MO, EBAY will probably let you
    off the hook; "buyer declined optional insurance." Buyer
    would likely NEG you.

Insurance is ALWAYS for the seller's protection; NOT the
    buyer's. It is smart to include it in the S+H.

Do NOT refund until you are sure the item is yours. Make
    the buyer return the original packaging. If he says he
    threw the packaging away, ask him: "Why would you throw
    the packaging away when you opened it and found the
    item broken?"

I place a note in all EBAY items shipped that reads:

"This item has been insured against damage while in transit. It has been packaged to minimize any chance of damage. In the unlikely event that the item arrives damaged, simply email me, for instructions on filing a damage claim. The claim process is not cumbersome, but it will require you to pay the return 1st-Class postage on the damaged item and the original packaging. Postage fees are not insurable by any carrier. I handle damage claims as quickly as possible, and your purchase price will be refunded to you when the
    claim is approved. Thank you for your order."

There are alot of carpcan buyers on EBAY.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    If the buyer expressly opted out on the insurance in an email reply to your invoice then it is his/her broken statue. Yater
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    "If the buyer expressly opted out on the insurance in an email reply to your invoice then it is his/her broken statue. "

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Not if the buyer paid via PayPal.
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    I really appreciate all the opinions given here and thank everyone. Have decided to just eat it and chalk it up to lesson learned. will refund the buyer back his money upon reciept of broken item. The funny thing here is I charged 6.00 for shipping and it cost 6.30 to ship it, guess the buyer can't accuse me of over charging him for shipping LOL. wonder if he will Neg me for not giving him the shipping cost back ?

• Options

I place a note in all EBAY items shipped that reads:

"This item has been insured against damage while in transit. It has been packaged to minimize any chance of damage. In the unlikely event that the item arrives damaged, simply email me, for instructions on filing a damage claim. The claim process is not cumbersome, but it will require you to pay the return 1st-Class postage on the damaged item and the original packaging. Postage fees are not insurable by any carrier. I handle damage claims as quickly as possible, and your purchase price will be refunded to you when the
    claim is approved. Thank you for your order."

There are alot of carpcan buyers on EBAY.

image >>

Storm I like the idea of placing a note with each purchase , I think I'll adopt that into my future sales. Thanks