Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

For those who know... a Grading question?

When it comes to grading and/or 'eye-appeal'....

If you have a mark/ding/scratch on a coin... which is the lesser of two evils? - having it on the (1) Face or (2) in the surrounding Field?

Or does one way give a (+) to grade & (-) to eye-appeal... and vice versa?

Comments

• Options
    Rob85635Rob85635 Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭
    Just my personal opinion and I don't know whats better / worse technically. For me any mark in the field is VERY distracting, I love any coin with a nice even field. Scratches/dings/etc on the face or other elements of the coin don't bother me as much.

Rob the Newbie
    Rob the Newbie
  • Options
    face is always the worst
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,404 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If a ding is in a prime focal point it will effect the grade. The face and fields are prime focal points on most coins. Having the flaw out of the prime focal points will effect the grade less as long as it is not a huge crater.

A few books show prime focal points on coins. The PCGS handbook is one I believe and the Scott Travers book is another.

Ken
  • Options
    Well, since I don't have a book... yet... I was hoping that someone could enlighten me as to which of the two (face/field) prime focal points are the worst place to have a 'problem'..? Let's say you have two Washington Quarters that are identical, and each has an identical tiny gouge on it... but one has it on the face (in a smooth area of face) and one has it midway in the field?
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    Chances are the face and the field in front of the face are equal when it comes to impact on grade.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If a ding is in a prime focal point it will effect the grade. The face and fields are prime focal points on most coins. Having the flaw out of the prime focal points will effect the grade less as long as it is not a huge crater.

A few books show prime focal points on coins. The PCGS handbook is one I believe and the Scott Travers book is another.

Ken >>

Coin World put out a book called "Making the Grade" (or something to that effect) that has excellent focal point illustrations.
  • Options
    ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    A ding on the device makes a coin look worse IMO.
  • Options
    thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Well, since I don't have a book... yet... I was hoping that someone could enlighten me as to which of the two (face/field) prime focal points are the worst place to have a 'problem'..? Let's say you have two Washington Quarters that are identical, and each has an identical tiny gouge on it... but one has it on the face (in a smooth area of face) and one has it midway in the field? >>

How to Grade U.S. Coins (including focal points)
    I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim
  • Options
    thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, if clad quarters are a series you are collecting, get a copy of the March 2007 Coin Values magazine. It has several articles on Wash. clads.

I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim
  • Options
    Thanks Jim - Much appreciated! It used to be that the internet was a wealth of easily available information... now it seems to be one big storefront, making it impossible sometimes to find info that you are looking for.

That color-coded Morgan example that they used clarified it a lot.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file