Home Sports Talk
Options

Crazy Baseball draft!!

perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
We had our draft last week, 12 team serpentine style. 2 new guys with limited knowledge of the game but smart enough to draft.

Here is my team (1st overall pick) in order of pick-up during draft...

Pujols
Hafner
Holliday
V.Martinez
B.Roberts
B.Myers
J.Schmidt
Bill Hall
Verlander
Tom Gordon
Chad Cordero
Cuddyer
J.D Drew
Cuddyer
Joe Crede
Alez Gordon
Pedro Martinez

The rest are scrub players. Not bad huh? How about you guys, how did you do?

Comments

• Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    Utley
    Mauer
    Suzuki
    Thome
    Konerko
    Bonderman
    Dunn
    Crede
    Carlos Guillen
    Podsednik
    Nomar
    Ray Durham
    Millwood
    Pedro Martinez
    Bartolo Colon
    Wickman
    Fuentes
    Bedard
    Wang
    Nate Robertson
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boo: Nice work on snagging Bedard late.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options

<< <i>Boo: Nice work on snagging Bedard late. >>

Thanks for the kind words. Unfortunately I didn't put these guys up in the order they were drafted (although the first six are in order). Durham, for example, was the last player I took. I think I got Bedard in the 13th round or so, which I still think is a pretty nice pick up, although not quite as sweet as picking him up in the 17th would have been.
  • Options
    Boo, did you draft Hawkeye Pierce for your staff? image
  • Options

<< <i>Boo, did you draft Hawkeye Pierce for your staff? image >>

I hate to sound obtuse, but I don't get it. Does my pitching staff suck?
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boo, did you draft Hawkeye Pierce for your staff? >>

I believe skin is implying that a couple of your pitchers will be "under the tent" for a while, but if you can stay close in the first part of the season, the inevitable return of those guys will be a big boost. I also drafted Pedro, Wang and The Rocket late with that idea in mind.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i> Boo, did you draft Hawkeye Pierce for your staff? >>

I believe skin is implying that a couple of your pitchers will be "under the tent" for a while, but if you can stay close in the first part of the season, the inevitable return of those guys will be a big boost. I also drafted Pedro, Wang and The Rocket late with that idea in mind. >>

A ha-- I get it. I'm under the impression that Wang, Martinez and Colon will be back within a month, although looking back I don't know how I came under that impression.... am I wrong? Are they going to be out longer? Also, is somebody else on my staff injured that I don't know about?

My 'strategy', such as it was, was to take Utley and Mauer as early as possible because the drop off at C and 2B from the best player to the fourth best player is so pronounced. I also assumed that the performance of position players from year to year tended to be more consistent than that of pitchers, so I decided to draft pitchers late and just pray that they have good seasons. But I'll confess that I have no evidence to back up the notion that this is in any way an optimal way to conduct a draft, as this is my first year ever drafting a fantasy team.
  • Options
    A ha-- I get it. I'm under the impression that Wang, Martinez and Colon will be back within a month,

Wang is supposed to be back by late April but Pedro isn't likely to be back till after the All Star break at least. Not sure about Colon.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Ugh. Bad news about Pete. Not only because of the fantasy implications, but also because I'm a big fan. But thanks for the heads up-- I'll go drop him and dig out out the fourth starter for the Padres or someone to round out the rotation.
  • Options
    My draft, for what it's worth:

1. (5) Ryan Howard 1B
    2. (12) Miguel Tejada SS
    3. (21) Robinson Canó 2B
    4. (28) Jermaine Dye OF
    5. (37) Roy Halladay SP
    6. (44) Jeremy Bonderman SP
    7. (53) Troy Glaus 3B,SS
    8. (60) Mariano Rivera RP
    9. (69) Magglio Ordóñez OF
    10. (76) Scott Kazmir SP
    11. (85) Ramón Hernández C
    12. (92) Bobby Jenks RP
    13. (101) Corey Patterson OF
    14. (108) Dan Haren SP
    15. (117) Felipe López SS
    16. (124) Nomar Garciaparra 1B
    17. (133) Chien-Ming Wang SP
    18. (140) Iván Rodríguez C,1B
    19. (149) Derek Lowe SP
    20. (156) Nick Swisher 1B,OF
    21. (165) Todd Jones RP
    22. (172) Roger Clemens SP
    23. (181) Ryan Freel 2B,3B,OF
    24. (188) Pedro Martínez

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grote believe it or not Howard went 11th in my draft! I had him pegged in the top 5 in any draft format. He is having a tough spring but should be a monster once again.

Boo, your strategy worked out nicely for you with Utley and Maur. I went for "best available" in my early rounds and was lucky to grab Victor Martinez and Brian Roberts in the 4th and 5th rounds for the 2 ugly positions. I am second guessing myself for chosing Roberts over Cano though.
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    I went with the Utley first round as well. I thought catcher values besides Mauer were inflated so I took a catch in the last round. Ronnie Paulino, hit .310 and drove in 55 runs as a rookie.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    Grote, you got the reference. I could have just said M A S H unit, but that isn't as fun or easy. Though Boo, it is only a couple of injuries, not the whole unit.

I endured Pedro AND Ben Sheets last season! Klinger was at my house often!!

In my local league, we always have fun with stuff like MASH unit, but my favorite is when somebody drafts a team with no power...we simply tell them that they will be calling ComEd!

My first few picks were as follows(5th pick overall 12 team mixed)

Crawford
    Tejada
    Abreu
    Mauer
    Harden
    Sabathia
    Fielder
    J. Patterson
    B. Myers
    I forgot the order of the rest...it is at home.

TEAM
    Mauer
    Olivo

Fielder
    Polanco
    Iwamura
    Tejada
    Renteria
    A. Gonzalez
    Abreu
    Crawford
    Drew
    Hawpe
    Ch. Young
    M. Jacobs

RESERVE HITTERS
    J. Lopez
    W. Helms
    N. Cruz
    S. Podsednik

PITCHERS (start 9, any combination)
    Harden
    Sabathia
    Myers
    Patterson
    Igawa
    Bonser
    Buehrle
    Clemens

C. Cordero
    C. Ray
    Weathers aka Tacklebury from police acadamy
    A. Reyes TB (take your pick for that closer)
    Pineiro

This was a very tough year in our league, very competitive. The winner will be less than 90 points. We have some hawks in our league, Julio was picked up within six minutes of his trade being announced. I was putting a trampolene together when that happened, ugh, we could have used another closer.

Boo, we are in Chicago, and somehow Podsednik fell to the 15th round. We didn't need him at all, but couldn't pass it up(every once in a while a guy just drops). He will be traded for a power hitter. Clemens was a 19th round pick, why not. If he comes back and Patterson and Harden are healthy for us...Clemens will be traded right away.

People got scared with news on Mauer's leg, but you don't win leagues without taking a couple of calculated risks. When you play it safe, you are destined for 4th or 5th. I am surprised how Tejada and Abreu are getting so little respect across drafts.

I have ComEd on speed dial right now, and that will change with a couple of trades.