Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Scary shipping costs

I just emailed a seller about shipping cost for a post card from Europe to the US. They came back with $2 and I immediately got that bad feeling in my stomach like the guy was just going to address the postcard to me and mail it with no packaging. I know it seems hypocritical when we're always bashing sellers for S/H gouging but I wish some of these folks would charge a little more and just package it safely. My mailman apparently can't read English so writing "Please Do Not Bend" on the envelope just isn't cutting it anymore. Just charge me $5 and make sure it arrives unharmed. Is that so much to ask?

I simply don't understand why sellers can't just read my mind and know exactly what I want and then deliver that service to me. I mean, c'mon.

Arthur

Comments

• storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    "I simply don't understand why sellers can't just read my mind and know
    exactly what I want and then deliver that service to me. I mean, c'mon."

///////////////////////////////////////////////////

Some Euro guys are really good packers and only charge tiny money.
    Many seem to have alot of respect for their paper-collectibles.
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.

• << <i>"I simply don't understand why sellers can't just read my mind and know
    exactly what I want and then deliver that service to me. I mean, c'mon."

///////////////////////////////////////////////////

Some Euro guys are really good packers and only charge tiny money.
    Many seem to have alot of respect for their paper-collectibles. >>

Absolutely. Other than just one time, the European sellers are always very fair with their S/H charges and often do their best to package the item securely. They do seem to have a respect for the items that is often missing here in the States. The problem is that grading -- nevermind professional grading -- isn't nearly as important to the collectors on that side of the pond as it is here. Centering doesn't even factor into the equation and if it's visible in a 10X loupe than it doesn't count. It's much more about collecting there than it is about acquisition. I really don't mind paying more for S/H as long as it means the protection increases.

Arthur

• dunerduner Posts: 625
    First time I've ever heard someone ask for higher shipping
    Duner a.k.a. THE LSUConnMan
    lsuconnman@yahoo.com

• eBayers are generally reasonable. My buyers have no problem paying my $4 s/h fee because they know the cards will be shipped the very next day immaculately and safely.
  • I just received a package from an ebay seller that was damaged. I paid $2 shipping which is reasonable for safe shipping. When I do trades I can mail 7 cards in penny sleeves placed into hard toploaders wedged between 2 pieces of cardboard and mailed USPS first class in a padded bubble mailer for $2.

I bought the Allen & Ginter Reds team set, this guy puts the 7 cards in a 9 pocket page, inside a manilla file folder and then into a plain non-padded yellow envelope. When I received it I saw a huge crease down the middle of the envelope and got a sick feeling in my stomach. I opened the envelope and pulled out the manilla file folder with a corresponding crease down the middle, several of the cards were floating around freely. One had taken a direct hit from whatever made the crease in the outer layers and was badly bent. The other 2 loose cards had major corner dings. It is a wonder any of the cards survived.

I emailed the guy with pictures of the damage and am waiting to hear from him. He already left positive feedback for me so if he does not reply or at least make an attempt to make things right I will have to leave negative feedback. I have never had to do that in the 8 years I have been using eBay.

Thanks for letting me vent
    Mike
    Reds Team Set Collector (Raw)
    Pete Rose PSA Basic Set
    Johnny Bench PSA Basic Set
  • I had a guy ship a PSA card in a plain envelope. Obviously it goes through the rollers, shows up at my door crushed.

Well after much complaining, and a paypal grievence, he said he would refund me. I mailed the whole chingus madingus back to him envelope and all. After a few weeks of me emailing him, getting angrier and angrier, I just left him neg FB to hopefully warn future customers. Never heard from him, never responded even to the NF.
  • because they're not smart enough to read your mind. They're card dealers. image
  • Don't forget, $2 US is, like, almost five pounds for them. More than enough to cover shipping on his end.
    Do You Collect image Baseball 1937,1965-94,2008-09?
    Or Regional Canadian Baseball Issues?
    Come be a contributor to the OPC Baseball Wiki. It's free and easy!
    OPeeChee.Wikispaces.Com
  • Sadly, I actually backed off on a bid I was going to make on a Chrome Blue refractor because the seller only charged $1 for shipping. My fear was laying out $40-50 only to get it in the mail in a plain white envelope.
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)