Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Star Co. 80's Basketball + PSA?

I'm assembling a PSA basketball collection and I'm wondering if PSA grades the 80's Star Co. cards. I know they are a ton of fakes... but it would be nice to have a set in between '81 and '86. Any ideas?
WTB:
CINCINNATI REDS
1976 - 1991 - Topps PSA 10
1983 & 1985 Fleer PSA 10
1985 Donruss PSA 10
Blue Ink Signed Topps Cards
Game-Used Bats/Jerseys
OPC PSA 10
MC & OC Cards

OTHER:
Eric Davis Anything
Votto, Willingham, Cantu, Doumit, Gomes
Baron Davis Game Used Jersey

Comments

• jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    They don't grade them, here's an article about them from a tuff stuff a few years ago. If I'm not allowed to post the article please delete

• gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    But this appearance of wrongdoing has detroyed the value of all Star sets, which used to be like Blue Chip stocks. Without this problem, think how much the Star Jordan RC would sell for. A card, by the way, that was not involved in this case of possible reprinting...
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • these cards are actually starting to regain some strength in the market. Sealed team bags have been selling well..atleast in the New England shows.
  • kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    Star cards are shady. The same people who authenticate them are the ones that sell them the most.
  • CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    I believe there are still people counterfeiting Star basketball, Kenner SLU, and Minor League cards. Since the type of card stock is widely available and designs were fairly simple, it's not that hard to make a card that looks like the real thing to an untrained eye.

Look at this thread where I compared a Star John Stockton RC I got in the early 90s to one that "bigboydsportscards3", an ebay dealer with 40,000+ fb, has been selling with regularity: Thread . He seems to have an endless supply of SLU, 80s Minor League cards (only the big ones), and key Star Co. RCs. Hmmm, that's not too fishy.

Lee
  • zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭
    GAI still grades them. I actually have 4 for on eBay right now.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    There are 2 types of shady on Star cards.

Type 1: Robert Levin went back and used his old presses, plates, and equipment to reprint some sets (and create others) years later. Many people feel these are indistinguishable from the originals, and that's why most grading companies won't touch them.

Type 2: There is a current counterfeiting ring, focusing on these cards, some college issues, and a few other things. These cards are readily distinguishable from the originals if you compare the two = typeface errors, background color changes, logo problems, other changes to the text, etc.
    shaqfu/redzone, bigboyd, and some other ebay powerscammers are connected to this ring.
    Many of the cards from this ring appear in GEM Elite or Capitol Grading holders.
    BTW, Steve Taft, who is the leading authenticator of Star cards, and who is one of the largest dealers in the original Star material, has done excellent work documenting Type 2 fakes and presenting this in hobby magazines and at shows.

Type 1 is bad, but it's hard to say it's a difference in kind, rather than degree, from backdooring large quantities of product or printing more cases after the production numbers were announced.

Nick

Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
    Man would I love to have been the owner of a small card company back then, like say Wild Card:

"Hey guys, thanks for all your hard work this week. Have a good weekend." <reaching for the on switch on the printing press as the employees are leaving> Oh look, here are some Barry Sanders uncut sheets- I think a 5000 stripe would look good on a few hundred of these.

They really were printing their own money back then- literally.

Lee
    CD - remember why Wild Card lost their license?

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Interesting article, I knew about the possible counterfeiting, but am wondering something.

Are they saying the 84-85 Miller Lite set didn't exist until this "Find"?

I've had one of those, plus a bunch of other Star cards since the late 80's.
    Nick- I thought they just went belly up because they're cards sucked. Why did they lose their license?

lee
  • ajwajw Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    I traded for a legit Jordan rookie back before basketball cards took off. It wasn't in great shape, maybe a PSA 6 or so, but it was the centerpiece of my collection for quite a while. I think I sold it for about $200 in 94 or so. No question about it's legitimacy. It's really a shame these cards have been tarnished.
  • I use to be huge into Star basketball. Knew every set inside and out.

I don't think R Levin reprinted every set. There are still many sets you just don't see very often (84 Celtics, 84 Mavs, 85 Crunch N Munch and alot of others). I don't think I've seen anyone with any quantity of those.

Have you guys noticed Kruk cards selling alot of Star cards in the last year, two years? Seems like every week they've got the same bags.

It's a real tragedy what happened to these cards. They're so gorgeous and they had everything going for them.

If you took all basketball cards from the 80's (80-81 Topps through 89/90 Fleer) and charted their decline in value over the last 10 years, some star cards have held up pretty well. The 84 Mavs bag peaked at about $800, and I've seen it sell in a GAI 9 bag for $400, "only" a 50% decline.

Compare that to raw a Pippen rookie that was $40 or $50 down to $20, or the stagnant prices of the Bird-Magic rookie, the decline in the 86 Jordan, etc. Some Star cards have held up decently, considering how tainted the series is.
  • dunerduner Posts: 625
    You have a forbidden word in your message post. Please click the back button in your browser and remove this word from your post. The words that are forbidden are highlighted for you.

Star Co. 80's Basketball + PSA?
    I think this issue will reappear with fleer....as it did with star, proline, classic, etc. If a company doesn't destroy the plates immediately after printing the whole market's screwed. With the same paper, and original plates you can effective make "original" cards into perpetuity. Back in the day I heard not only were the plates available, but I also heard there was a huge amount of uncut paper that made its way into the market. Who knows....those star plates may still be floating out there waiting for someone who wants 20,000 more jordan rookies. edited: how on earth can GAI authenticate these things? I don't care how good those guys are.....there's absolutely no way to authenticate a card that is reprinted on original stock with original paper. Any J@ck@rse who tries is just begging people to question his qualifications in everything else he does.

Duner a.k.a. THE LSUConnMan
    lsuconnman@yahoo.com

CD - Wild Card serial numbered their cases of the Superchrome NFL product , except they issued far more cases than they said, reusing the same serial numbers. Their license specifically permitted only a certain number of cards to be produced, and this was their attempt to get around it.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.