Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Shipping to Russia dilemma...

Normally I don't ship to Russia since DSI won't insure shipments to there. However, a buyer with a very strong feedback record contacted me and asked me if he could purchase some of my material. I did some initial checking of USPS regs, and thought I had things figured out so I'd be covered... but apparently I didn't investigate thoroughly enough. image

3 coins, totaling approximately $350.

I had thought that I could send via Global Express Mail insured for the full value, but apparently coins are a prohibited item for Global Express Mail, meaning I could never collect on the insurance (unless I lie about the nature of the contents, which I'm loathe to do). What's weird though, is that coins *CAN* be insured for full value if sent Air Parcel Post (but it has its downsides, see below)... why coins can be insured via parcel post but not EMS makes no logical sense (then again why Registered Mail, which is the most secure method to ship, is not insurable beyond $44 internationally is also baffling). The logical inconsistencies in USPS policies are huge.

I have only found 2 configurations of payment and shipping that would leave me protected, but I'm not sure the buyer will like either of them:

1. If the buyer wants to pay by PayPal, then I can only send by insured Air Parcel Post. It will NOT be registered or trackable, but it WILL be insured for the full value, and that value will be listed on the customs slip (so the buyer may have to pay import duty).

2. If the buyer is willing to pay by cash in U.S. dollars sent Registered Mail, then I can send the coins by Registered Mail. However, the liability above $44 per shipment would be that of the buyer in the event the shipment is lost or stolen.

If the buyer doesn't like either option, I'm going to propose that we simply consider the auctions null and void, leave positive feedback for one another, and go our separate ways.

I realize that I have an obligation to the buyer to complete the transaction, but I'm not about to ship several hundred dollars of merchandise with no recourse. I'd sooner weather some deserved negative feedback.

At least I know not to open up my auctions to buyers in Russia again. image

Any shipping/insurance/payment options I haven't considered? I want to make this work for everyone concerned, but after racking my brain I just can't think of a way to do so...

Comments

• Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    You do not deserve any negative feedback if you choose that course of action and frankly I would not take the chance either.
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Once it enters Russia - it's a gamble, especially for USPS. Independent couriers, like UPS and FedEx, would have a better chance of delivering.

Good luck, man.
  • Options
    cachemancacheman Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't send anything to Russia no matter the buyers feedback. Why? Because everyone working in the postal system is a crook and it is very likely that whatever you send will be pilfered before it gets to the buyer. If the packet originates in the U.s. and has even the slightest chance to contain something of value it will be carried home in someone's pocket before being opened.

To give you an idea how corrupt it has become over there take note that several years ago I sent money to an orphanage via a nearby church in hopes the money would arrive safely...it didn't...and I still don't know if it was the post office ripping off the church or the church ripping off the orphanage...image
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't send anything to Russia no matter the buyers feedback. Why? Because everyone working in the postal system is a crook and it is very likely that whatever you send will be pilfered before it gets to the buyer. If the packet originates in the U.S. and has even the slightest chance to contain something of value it will be carried home in someone's pocket before being opened.

The same holds true for some other Eastern European nations, unfortunately. I sent a nondescript envelope to a neighboring country, containing a small coin worth a couple of bucks. It never made it. I also sent a giveaway to long time forum member Severo who lives in Russia - it never made it either.

I have made a couple of sales over the years to Eastern European buyers who have garnered some decent reps, but in general I think one is at the mercy of the PayPal chargeback, which makes it high risk to the buyer to even offer sales to there. Cacheman's comments echo my fears.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    Just to give you an idea - my friend was in a bad car accident two days ago on the border of Ukraine and Russia. Thank god airbags deployed. When he came to in a hospital today, he realized that his jacket, wallet, watch, money were missing. And it could've been anyone from witnesses to the accident, to paramedics, to cops... When I read Cachemans' reply about the orphanage money - it's the same deal. With equal probability, it could have been any of the scenarios he described. Not many things are still sacred there, right now. It's the main reason I stopped doing business with Russian companies.
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    The buyer has suggested sending me payment via Western Union electronic money transfer, and I ship the coins by Registered Mail. I would be able to pick up the payment at any local WU office.

I've not used Western Union other than back when BidPay sent you WU money orders. From what I can tell, it appears safe from a recipient's perspective, and the costs are borne entirely by the sender.

Safe?
  • Options
    Sounds safe from the money-receiving prospective. However, keep in mind what what said about shipping to Russia image