Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

If you can find decent ebay material, its an ebay buyers market!

At least I think so. My sales have been lackluster, downright pathetic, but on the other hand , a decent piece does not seem to be generating enough $$$. My guess is that it is either cyclical or people are tired of buying ebay "stuff". Even decent graded material is not generating good dollars. Opinions?
Wondo

Comments

• Options
    jjwormjjworm Posts: 196 ✭✭

I completely agree. I just sold some things and they just didn't have the interest based on past auction. On the other hand, I have found some deal for myself.

Collecting:

- Post War baseball HOF RC's
    - 1980's unopened baseball
    - All Mutoscope and American Beauties

• Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the top shelf, dynamite items are stronger than ever. The low-pop stuff is quite strong. The regular good stuff - i.e. vintage PSA 7's & 8's are down slightly, and the commodity stuff - 80's cards - are down.

I would classify a purchase I made last night - a 1975 Topps Rack with Aaron #660 on the back (GAI 9) as regular good stuff - and the price $210 seems to be lower than a year ago (maybe $260??). Some 1962 PSA cards are stronger than ever. And some low pop 64 Giants have been tough.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭
    I guess it just depends on what it is.

There was a thread a few days ago with a similar discussion, right after I listed a bunch of items, that had me worried to death that I was selling at the wrong time.

I listed 36 cards in the buy, sell, and trade section to sell here to my fellow members, then transferred them to ebay after there were only a couple of takers.

13 out of the 34 that no one wanted are already higher than I would've sold to fellow board members with 24 hours left on the ebay auctions. So sales on some things are definately not slow.

I have, however, noticed some things are down. I think it's generally a good time to buy, you just have to pick and choose your spots.

We've all been around enough to know if something is a good deal. If you consistently see a card sell for $150, and can buy one for $115, pull the trigger. It's more of an abberation than prices plummeting. You'll more than likely see the same card sell for $150 again the next day. Be careful you're not following low population cards or modern hype and you can still find a deal or two. What I mean is, if you see a 1980 topps psa 10 population 2 card sell for outrageous dollars, that's not the market price, that's overhyped crap on a card that will one day be a 1980 topps psa 10 population 50 card. Sure, it's bound to go down. But key rookies or vintage, they gradually change in price. You can pay $130 for a 1981 topps joe montana psa 8 rookie today, or pay $80 for the same card tomorrow. They usually sell for about $100, but the prices change from day to day. Keep track of the cards you want and pay attention. Buy low, buy smart.

shawn
  • Options
    GREAT BUYERS MARKET!!!! I love it!!
    succesful deals :richtree, Bosox1976, Bkritz, mknez, SOM, cardcounter2, ddfamf, cougar701, mrG, Griffins : thanks All

Go Phillies
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    I started a thread about a week ago saying the same exact thing. Good time to stock up I guess.

Lee
  • Options
    WondoWondo Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I started a thread about a week ago saying the same exact thing. Good time to stock up I guess.

Lee >>

Your right, but ya gotta be a little wary. I'm trying to buy stuff I like just in case I have it for a while. image It can be a great opportunity to aquire some neat stuff. Everything I buy is eventualy for sale. If I sell it at a $$$ loss, at least I've rented a real neat card!
    Wondo

• Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

<< <i> Everything I buy is eventualy for sale. If I sell it at a $$$ loss, at least I've rented a real neat card!
    image >>

The best sports card one liner I've heard in a long time! image

Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Unopened vintage and low pop PSA 10s are still strong. Basically, the stuff people really want is doing great, but the stuff people kind of want is cold.

Lee
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>GREAT BUYERS MARKET!!!! I love it!! >>

While high demand cards still command a premium, others can be picked up 30 - 50% SMR.

Good times image
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    I completely disagree. Most of what I buy is pre War, and for the most part the prices are at historical highs. If you stick to buying low supply, high demand items the prices will continue to go up. There are a lot of sets I own that I could not afford to buy, if I was still in the market for them.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    CariconCaricon Posts: 819 ✭✭
    Anyone ever think it's finally spring time and people are getting out instead of sitting at their computer looking at eBay for something to
    buy because it's too nasty to go outside. I have spent a lot more time outside in the past two weeks then in my house. This is the time
    I switch my auctions to end during the middle of the week then on a weekend when more people are out. And remember, next weekend
    is Easter, so really not going to be a lot of people on-line looking at stuff. Just my opinion.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Gasoline at 3 bucks a gallon and foodstuffs continue to rise maybe people would rather get to work and eat then buy cards on ebay.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    SDavidSDavid Posts: 1,584 ✭✭
    I haven't noticed any overall decrease in price for the stuff I look at. Actually, a lot of the nicer stuff seems to be going for more because less of it getting listed these days.
  • Options
    SoutherncardsSoutherncards Posts: 1,384 ✭✭
    I've bought some stuff cheap lately on ebay but this morning I also had an item that I bought for $1 and someone BIN'd it for $19.99 so it goes both ways.
  • Options
    "I completely disagree. Most of what I buy is pre War, and for the most part the prices are at historical highs. If you stick to buying low supply, high demand items the prices will continue to go up. There are a lot of sets I own that I could not afford to buy, if I was still in the market for them.".....

I think this is generally true. With some pre-war sets the bidding is fierce (T3, E-145 etc.) or you simply will not find an example (E224) and when one comes up for bidding, you can throw SMR and VCP out the window for the most part. There is some very competitive bidding on some post war cards, obviously. As a type collector primarily, I can tell you that HOFers from the more obscure post war sets are tough such as 1951 Connie Mack AS, 1959 HR Derby, 1959 Bazooka, 1954 Wilson Franks.....to name a few.

There seem to be some good deals out there but I am wondering if it is more that the market price is finally stabilizing and reflecting demand more than sets falling temporarily out of favor.
    Mark B.

Seeking primarily PSA graded pre-war "type" cards

My PSA Registry Sets

34 Goudey, 75 Topps Mini, Hall of Fame Complete Set, 1985 Topps Tiffany, Hall of Fame Players Complete Set
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I completely disagree. Most of what I buy is pre War, and for the most part the prices are at historical highs. If you stick to buying low supply, high demand items the prices will continue to go up. There are a lot of sets I own that I could not afford to buy, if I was still in the market for them. >>

You are absolutely correct in regards to pre-war cards and other high demand cards. However, unless there's a registry peeing-match, there's a lot of deals out there.

I've won several auctions in which the final price was less than 50% of my snipe.

Either that or I'm over paying image
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts