Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Is there a premium on GAI 1st graded?

I think I asked this a long time ago, but I couldn't find the thread and times may have changed.

Do some collectors place a premium on this?
EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions

Comments

• Options
    Most of my FF collection is 1st graded and I would pay more. Unsure if others would.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    No, there is no premium (or there really shouldn't be).

When it says GAI First Graded, that means the card is the first one graded that met the condition noted.

So, there can be a LOT of "first graded" of the same card.

For example, say you have...

1978 Topps #2 First Graded EX condition

Floating around in the market is a...

1978 Topps #2 First Graded NM condition
    1978 Topps #2 First Graded VG condition
    1978 Topps #2 First Graded EX-MT condition
    etc, etc, etc.
  • Options
    colebearcolebear Posts: 886 ✭✭
    I don't but I think that was the intent of it
  • Options
    WondoWondo Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭
    I believe there would be a premium just from the time frame. There was more confidence (seemingly warranted) in the early grading.
    Wondo

• Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought it was the opposite - the promise of bumps fueling the early grading? (Thereby telling buyers to subtract a half point to get the "real" grade)
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    EagleEyeKidEagleEyeKid Posts: 4,496 ✭✭
    Collectors were paying a premium for the 1st graded when they first came out. That has long since faded away, and I wish GAI would fade away as well.
  • Options
    CubbyCubby Posts: 2,096
    "Collectors were paying a premium for the 1st graded when they first came out."
    True, but why? What difference in the card if it's 1st graded or 1000 th graded?

BTW: Cubby=Cub Fan
  • Options
    colebearcolebear Posts: 886 ✭✭
    I think it was just in case GAI graders went to hell, they wanted people to know the founders (or someone great) graded it. In reality they were they were putting a discount on anything that was not 1st graded
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

Okay ... now I get it. So that's what it means.

From my experience, I had thought it meant they were done by a class of First Graders ...

Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • Options

<< <i>"Collectors were paying a premium for the 1st graded when they first came out."
    True, but why? What difference in the card if it's 1st graded or 1000 th graded?
    image >>

Alot of people want something unique. A 1/1, a patch card, serial #'d #1/xx or last XX/XX, something that stands out.

I do agree it has lost its "spark". I like it as a large part of my FF collection is 1st graded. While it wont bring more $$ if ever sold I dont care as I wont sell them. Is is more cool to me. It makes me feel special and all warm and fuzzy inside.

BUT I have/had a FF version that my buddy has in the same grade both 1st graded. Yep its true. They are the same version but his wording is slightly different. Mine had generic wording ie. "Black Scribble" and was the F showing and his said "F Scribble."
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    I was always under the impression that the "1st graded" applied to the first 20 or 25 card that were graded in that specific grade, and just the very first one.

I have always been confused on this too. What is the difference between 1st graded and 1st issue?

~IMS
  • Options
    cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭

<< <i>Okay ... now I get it. So that's what it means.

From my experience, I had thought it meant they were done by a class of First Graders ... >>

Wolf, you crack me up.

To answer Zef's question: no, it doesn't mean a thing, unless you like having 'first graded' on your plastic slab.