Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1992 OPC Baseball rip......

You don't always have to spend money to have fun. I bought a case of these and just ripped 3 boxes. Condition is way tougher than I expected, although it looks like O-Pee-Chee retired the rusty hatchets they used to cut the cards in the 70s and 80s. There is also a Gary Carter Tribute set that wasn't included in the regular Topps, which was pretty neat. No gold cards though.

Cuts were still a little rough, but this is the first year they used similar card stock to what Topps used instead of recycled "Canadian Times" newspapers, so corners and edges were a lot better but centering was still an issue. Still, it was tough to find PSA 10 worthy cards in case-fresh boxes. Here are the stars I thought had a good shot at 10s:

A fun little rip, not sure what I'm going to do with the rest of the boxes, but I have some available if anybody wants to join in the fun. Pops are way low compared to Topps which is why I bought these in the first place. I'm starting to really get into the early 90s OPC, which seems to be really hard to find. I think 92 is the most common.

Lee

Comments

• Options
    Just ripped a box myself, Lee.
    Fun fun fun (still, didn't get a Ryan or a Ramierez).
    Grr. I'm actually putting together a set. Which for me has always the best part of the hobby.
    Do You Collect image Baseball 1937,1965-94,2008-09?
    Or Regional Canadian Baseball Issues?
    Come be a contributor to the OPC Baseball Wiki. It's free and easy!
    OPeeChee.Wikispaces.Com
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like fun... especially to us guys who are WORK... you know a J...O...B....!!!!! Go play some poker or get a job. You are making me to jealous with all the time you seem to have on your hands! By the way, what does it cost for a box of those? They look cool.
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    The government cracking down on internet gambling really has given me some free time to pursue more important endeavors, such as opening packs of baseball cards. I'm going up to Atlantic City in a few weeks to try and make more card-buying money.

I'll sell them at $15 each delivered or two for $24.

Lee
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    Yeah. Last year I bought about 4 boxes of '91 OPC. Had a blast ripping them and they are MUCH more scarcer than people think.
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    but are they betterer than the topps?
  • Options
    They're way awesomer.

Lee
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    How many cards in the set? Same as 92 Topps?
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    792 I believe. Not all are the same as Topps though- for instance no All Stars. I'm not sure what they did to replace them other than the Gary Carter Tribute. Anybody know?

Lee
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Factory sets??

1990 OPC
  • Options
    Yeah, they do exist for 1990, 1991, and 1992. Not too common though. I think 1990 and maybe 1991 have cello boxes as well.

Lee
  • Options
    Haven't seen cellos for OPC.
    I have a 1984 OPC rack pack that I think they made, like, one box of. Very hard to find cellos and racks of OPC, if they exist.
    OPeeChee.Wikispaces.Com
  • Options
    I think Dave & Adam's has some 84 racks. I saw a 1990 cello box on ebay not too long ago as well.

Lee
  • Options
    Awesome, I'm going to add those 90 Cellos to my own personal private want list.
    I actually bought an 84 rack from D&A. A bit disappointed. The sections weren't divided so all the cards are bumping into one another down through the three stacks. Also, the top label was torn a bit where the "peg hole" is. But it doesn't matter. Never seen one before that, so I'm happy to have it in my OPC collection.
    OPeeChee.Wikispaces.Com
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    '92 is also the last year that the OPC cards use the same design as the Topps cards. For '93 and '94 they used their own layout, and it's way nicer than the Topps equivalents.

'93 is on the left (the Weiss), '94 on the right.

• Options
    Lee, are you selling any singles? If so, and you pulled a Mike Greenwell, let me know. image

Arthur
  • Options
    AkbarCloneAkbarClone Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭
    Guy would just have to post a picture of one of the 4 cards I need for 1993 OPC (Weiss). Nice card--it is for sale?
    I collect Vintage Cards, Commemorative Sets, and way too many vintage and modern player collections in Baseball (180 players), Football (175 players), and Basketball (87 players). Also have a Dallas Cowboy team collection.
  • Options
    Akbar, is there a set you're not putting together? You must have like 30 billion cards.

Lee
  • Options
    thekid8thekid8 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭
    I would be interested in any of the Gary Carter tributes if they are submitt-able
    Mike
    Gary Carter Fans check out www.thekid8.com

• Options
    AkbarCloneAkbarClone Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭
    Not 30 million yet--and I don't collect anything pre-war--so that keeps the costs down.image
    I collect Vintage Cards, Commemorative Sets, and way too many vintage and modern player collections in Baseball (180 players), Football (175 players), and Basketball (87 players). Also have a Dallas Cowboy team collection.
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>Guy would just have to post a picture of one of the 4 cards I need for 1993 OPC (Weiss). Nice card--it is for sale? >>

LOL-- just PM me the four #'s you need and your address. I'm 99% sure I have all four cards, whatever they may be.
  • Options
    Hey The Kid, love your Carter site. Very cool to see all the cards and variations.
    Notice you don't have the OPC posters from 81, 82 and 85, though. The ones included in packs of OPC cards.
    OPeeChee.Wikispaces.Com
  • Options
    thekid8thekid8 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭
    Thanks hotmush
    I do have them but have not gotten around to scanning/uploading them -- had to buy more space earlier this year and will be adding a bunch of stuff over the next few months
    Mike
    Gary Carter Fans check out www.thekid8.com

• Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    He Lee, let's rip some more 70's stuff. 77/78/79 baseball maybe?

"Molon Labe"

• Options
    I'm a little gunshy after my week in wax pack hell. Give me a little while and I'll get back into the swing of things. Don't worry I'll be throwing more money away on 70s boxes in no time.

Lee
  • Options
    ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    Lee, have you pulled any Raphael Palmeiro cards with a shot of a 10?

Yes, I'm the guy that collects Palmeiro cards. image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Nope, I would've pulled any potential 10s of Palmeiro out.

Lee