Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Who's up for a CHALLENGE?! (Updated with more clues - - I'm on the right track!!)

I recently picked up an interesting looking coin at the local show out of the junk bin, and can't identify it, so I am appealing to Forum members for help!

I'll try to describe it as best as I can............. It's Very worn, and my eyes aren't what they used to be (and I can't find my loupe!!)

Copper or bronze, the same size as a U.S. Nickel, but only about 1/2 as thick.

One side has lettering that appears to read something like "S ANTONIO DI PADOVA" around the top, with a side view of a smaller man on the left facing right & appearing to reach out his right arm/hand to what looks to be a side view of a huge head (and body?) facing left. UPDATE: There was a Saint Antonio di Padova!! So what does this picture represent? Someone reaching out to greet the Saint or vice-versa?

The other side (medal-alignment) appears to have either a church, mosque, Mideval tent city, or other with domes, towers and/or flags, and a very small "DEL PADVO" (??) in lettering around the top. UPDATE: Looks like it could be the Basilica of St Antonio

Anyone with more info, a date, or even better, a good picture of what the coin/medal should look like in good condition?? Any idea of value?

I'll update as I learn more and/or find my loupe.

Thanks!

- - Daveimage

Comments

• Options
    dcamp78dcamp78 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭
    You'll have better luck if you post some pictures...

Big Dave
    -------------------------
    Good trades with: DaveN, Tydye, IStillLikeZARCoins, Fjord, Louie, BRdude
    Good buys from: LordMarcovan, Aethelred, Ajaan, PrivateCoinCollector, LindeDad, Peaceman, Spoon, DrJules, jjrrww
    Good sale to: Nicholasz219
  • Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree whole-heartedly, but my scanner's busted & I have yet to perfect digital photography/uploading of coin images.

• Options
    Rickc300Rickc300 Posts: 876 ✭✭
    S. Antonio di Padova is the largest cathedral of the Roman Catholic Church in Istanbul, Turkey. The original S. Antonio di Padova Cathedral was built in 1725 by the local Italian community of Istanbul.

A really quick Google search to me seems DEL PADVO concerns a holiday? much like our Thanksgiving and the safe handling of poultry (Or so I think based on my poor translation skills and even poorer memory)

Maybe I am reading Turkey as poultry? image

Either way I think this is a medal from Turkey, and concerns John XXIII, known as the "Turkish pope...

I really have no idea and am just guessing, more clues would be very useful, pictures even better. Please reply back to this thread and give us more clues and ideas...

Rick
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well armed lamb contesting that vote. Benjamin Franklin - 1779

1836 Capped Liberty
    dime. My oldest US
    detecting find so far.
    I dig almost every
    signal I get for the most
    part. Go figure...
  • Options
    The pictures don't have to be perfect and I can tell you how to get the pictures here.

Big Dave
    Good buys from: LordMarcovan, Aethelred, Ajaan, PrivateCoinCollector, LindeDad, Peaceman, Spoon, DrJules, jjrrww
  • Options
    I also did a quick Google search. Here's what I found:

'S. Antonio Di Padova' = Saint Anthony of Padua

I believe that this would be a Venetian (Venice, Italy) coin.

Pictures sure would help...
    Big Dave
  • Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the updated info! I'll try to get pix over the coming few days. If it IS a medal, are there websites cataloging them and/or with pix? Or can just about anyone make such a medal, and the likelihood of my ever finding the one I have listed/pictured very remote?image