Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

todays coin market

how to you feel about todays coin market is it hot or fair opions please please

Comments

• Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,780 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Arthur: Surprisingly very steady. The coin market is not known for being steady and consistent. It usually likes to do things in a jumpy nervous twitch sort of way. This may be a sign of more good times ahead for the coin market.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,780 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Arthur: Now that I have responded, what do YOU think of today's coin market?
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    TahoeDaleTahoeDale Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭
    Arthur,

Todays(2007) coin market has the most avid and involved collectors in the the history of coin collecting. I would estimate that there are 50 times the number of serious collectors than there were 15 years ago.

And 500 times the number of occasional collectors--many of whom will become serious as their expertise increases.

As for pricing, and the likihood of increased value, it will depend on the area of the market. Average grade for any series has the least likely possibility, and rarity, with eye appeal has the highest.

Many series, in the higher grades, have seen dramatic increases. Examples are Early dollars, early gold, proof gold, draped and bust halves, and early copper.

The key dates in all the series after 1915 have outpaced even the better rarities in the earlier series.

Where will it go from here? With the demand from new collectors, and the holding ability of those that have completed collections in the last 20 years, it can only go higher.

But it will not be as frantic as it was for the last 5 years.

Short answer to your question-- it is healthy, and most enjoyable
    TahoeDale
  • Options
    i appreciate your responses because i am still new and and hope to learn more beside gaining from hopefully a hotter market
  • Options
    ColorfulcoinsColorfulcoins Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭
    Clearly a 2-tiered market.
    Craig
    If I had it my way, stupidity would be painful!
  • Options
    The Market or the State of today's Market is virtually all over the place. People pay big bucks for the stupidest things, (example - paying huge sums of money for top pop moderns which can have a LOT of company REAL fast and is thereby a BAD investment) while passing on true rarities. This I will NEVER comprehend.

There is a lot of "Junk" in higher graded slabs graded by so-called reputable grading services - (this is aimed at no one company in particular) that cater to large, bulk submitters - hence "the gifts" overpopulate what should be reserved for coins that deserve the same grades thereby devaluing the properly graded coins. IMO, this is wrong. PQ coins belong in these brackets, not "gifts." There definitely NEEDS to be more consistancy in grading and far less favoritism toward those in the "Good Ole Boy" Network.

Casual submitters, TRUE collectors, continue to suffer from both the aforementioned.

Double standards should cease immediately and a sense of Integrity regained by ALL involved! Have you EVER seen so many top collections being sold as we've witnessed over the course of the past few years? People are bailing out, cashing out, in many cases, taking huge losses - for WHAT? A Dollar that is worth less and less daily with the biggest factor being this so called War in the Middle East!

Very legitimate pieces are Body bagged for questionable toning which is so bogus that everyone sees right through it, while the Good Ole Boys, people that spend the most money submitting coins, continue to flood the market with inferior coins for said grade.

There is a LOT wrong with today's coin market as evidenced by the exit of many a valuable collector that spoke his or her mind. Too many people are remaining "tight lipped."

I read voraciously yet wonder just where some of these people that claim to be writers get their information from! For example, I have often heard that a certain company is on the same level as PCGS and NGC when the numbers/ prices realized totally disprove said writers' "work." I need not name Names. You all know of whom I speak unless you live as a hermit in some cave somewhere.

The Economy and State of the Nation as a whole is in a sit on our hands, wait and see holding pattern. Money is not being spent as freely as it was just 3 years ago. I place the blame for this directly on the War in the Middle East. Someone/ ANYONE care to admit or even debate why we are really there in a War that we, the United States, cannot possibly win unless we go to nuclear tactics which would most certainly bring on World War 3.

The premise as to why we first went on is long forgotten and you cannot tell me that with today's 21st Century Technology, someone like Osama Bin Laden who sticks out like Shaquille O'Neill amongst 6th graders , has NOT been found on this tiny planet in almost SIX YEARS yet they found what's his face in a friggin' hole in the ground like the rat that he is. They found everyone else and erased them right off the face of the planet as they sat in what they THOUGHT was safe yet they cannot find this Giraffe amongst 6th graders? Something is definitely amiss here.

If we went in to free these people and to help create a Democracy (something totally foreign to these people and has them totally embittered because the majority's mindset being "Just who appointed you (the USA) as the ideal form of Government when it's certainly not working where you live."

ALL this has something to do with Economics and hence the State of Numismatics today. There IS a direct correlation between what is going on abroad AND here at Home that has most people with a wait & see mentality.

September 11th 2001 is fading from memory FAST. If we have accomplished our Objective then we need to bring our boys Home otherwise they are lambs being slaughtered needlessly every day in Modern day VietNam.

I apologize for seemingly getting off topic here but all this AND MORE affects everything. This trickle down effect has made it's way into Numismatics. The human instinct to survive far outweighs any so called Hobby or surplus money for coins. It IS ALL relative, ALL relevant and the vasy majority of people, contrary to what writers write, are more concerned with surviving than coins. At least that's my take on it and I hope I have not offended anyone as that certainly was NOT my intention or Agenda when I made a conscious decision to answer this post.

I could and perhaps should have summed this up by simply stating that it is "shaky", at best... very volatile with a lot going on behind the scenes, be it government or corporate America matters involved. The money is NOT flowing as it was but 3 years ago. JMHO and by all means, please pardon the Rant/ diatribe.

If you/ We think "All is well," I hate to disappoint you but this is simply not the case. It could all come tumbling down TODAY just as those 2 Towers did, years ago.

Regards to all,

BigBubba image
  • Options
    alot insteresting stuff that i probley would not thought of for me i would rathers spend a few grand on a 93 s morgan then 1980 or new coin
  • Options
    big bubba

i wish you would just speak your mind and not beat around the bush....lol

your post is well put and im glad to see people out there thinking

i too know how the world works as i have been in it a loooooooooong time...a few notes for your rant

osama is dead...he was killed in tora bora...the cia from time to time will have him be heard from ...but he is dead

i traveled to washington and told them how to win this war yet they didnt listen....castro took out a 100,000 man army with 5,000 guerrillas .....the french in vietnam told us..." dont come here...you can not win"...we won the cold war with economics as that was the only way to fight it....and i told them that in washington yet they didnt listen....here is a short shot of my 3 days telling them

all uprisings ,coup d'etat and revolts are all over one thing... standard of living....that being said

how you win this war is not by repeating the mistakes in cuba fighting castro or vietnam...you do it by raising their standard of living ...we have failed to do that because of nothing more than the hatfields and mc coys...aka secratarian violence

i told the boys in washington bring on an army of machines and build not tanks

in mexico there is an american company who has developed a way to take raw sand,cement,doors,windows and steal and build a house that will last for 150 and is solid concrete and pass out a set of keys to the house in 60 minutes.....how this is done is through a plant system and they make them like making cookies....in a week there can be 170 built...give me 2 plants and that 340....give me 10 plants and thats 1700 houses a week....give me 100 plants and that 17000 houses a week......if you give them a better standard of living they will fight for it...with their lives not ours.....i know....i have been doing it in mexico for a long time and they will fight like mad dogs to keep what they now have

here is the link to my company...we are so fast that the president of mexico couldnt get to see us fast enough...and you can see his pic on the front page of the sight

http://www.pmmcasa.com/home/home.htm

but washington had other ideas....i told them when i left....when you put me in charge...i will fix it for you....no call yet

now back on topic....the con market is plinking along great coins always find a home...pq coins do to but stuff just sits

you hit the nail on the head...the economy is rockin a little but inflation is through the roof....most cant figure real inflation...most dont care enough....most think its the core numbers...not..core is the escalator the gov uses for entitlements and they strip out fuel and food.....the real inflation in 2006 was 10.3% thus your 100,000 salary in jan 2006 was worth 89,700 in dec.....today its worth 85,000

so you see peoples money isnt going as far as it was...they cant figure it out why...but it hapening to them thus luxuries such as coins has begun to slow as there is a reduced excess money for their purchase

couple that with the "home atm machine" being closed and people are getting squeezed

so thats why the market is slowing....those of you who have the where with all are going to get some good coins with less competition

now to rock the house and tell you how bad it is

1 million seconds takes 12 days on your watch to tic off
    1 billion takes 32 years
    1 trillion takes 32,000 years

with a skyrocking debt up to nearly 10 trilion dollars it would take

is we paid 10 dollars a second 32,000 years...ah thats before man was walking upright

100 a second= 3200 year thats 1200 before jesus
    1000 a second thats 320 years...that before george washington was born

oh...i forgot our off balance sheet debt...social security...we now have 45 trillion worth of earned social sercurity

so that 5,500 a seond before washington was born

oh ...i forgot the interest....so now we owe tens of thousands of dollars a second

fact is....washington is full of idiots and not math majors....so now you know why the pound is 2 to 1 now....and the euro is at 135...when not too long ago it was in the 80s

gold is heading north for a reason....way to much paper is being printed and the only way out is to inflate like never before

cut and paste this....it might help....written in 2004 and its a lot worse now

http://www.economicpolicymonitor.com/2004_04_01_archive.html

personally i dont care about the core inflation rate...what i look at is

gdp/debt ratio.......and that tells the story

soon thngs will be out of control and

the only way to stop it

IS TO BALANCE THE FOOKIN BUDGET

...the press needs to wake up and tell the people to vote for only those who will balance the budget...period

ok that my rant

monsterman

my goal is to find the monsters and i go where they are but i sometimes miss some.... so if you have any and want to sell IM THE BUYER FOR THEM!!!

out of rockets ...out of bullets...switching to harsh language
  • Options
    Kudos to you, Gregg. You're my kind of man.

Wasn't life so much simpler and a hell of a lot more gratifying when we could suit up and just knock the living

daylights out of someone. image
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Monsterman, thanks for adding your opinions on the coin market and economy. Surprisingly, the majority of Americans (and those on this forum as well) think that inflation has been 2-3% for years. And that a 2-3% inflation is a good thing and needed for required growth. Maybe hearing those words from someone like yourself who doesn't ever preach economics here will help to wake them up.

It's no coincidence that since 1929, the overall increase in the DOW is essentially all due to inflation. And in that same time, gold has increased the same amount. What goes unsaid is that the losers are kicked off the Dow every so often. Gold never gets reformed or redefined. Now if the govt owned all gold you could bet that they would slowly reduce the purity as they metered it out.

Today's coin market seems ok. Gold will provide the general direction. When gold finally gives it up north of $1,000 the goose is cooked. Factor in a severe recession or major derivatives failure and all bets are off. That could happen at any time if the wrong chain reaction gets started. For now, our govt and FED are keeping things together by printing money and patching the holes in the dike as they occur. But this game only can go on for so long. Odd to say that the coin market is only as good as the inflation that our govt produces. And right now they are making plenty of it. Your coins will be doing good, but your wallet and home expenses will be taking a beating.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    big bubba

always loved suiting up and following the bible

" tis better to give than receive"....:-)

roadrunner

yep we have an apathetic population....and it is very concerning...seems that most good thinkers are here on these boards and not in washington...so keep spreading the word and in time the media will pick it up

goal #1.....balance the fookin budget

dont vote for anyone who does not live by this montra

now for the dow..your right....its the all stars of all stars..if i could make a video game of all football players who played and digitize their best plays and load it on my box and play a game the result would be the best of the best each play...the dow is one big false indicator as it throws out a bad player and enters a better one....people then say gee we are doing good...well the best of the best are ....while 90% of the rest arent

when they put me in charge the first thing i would do is to not create panic...but i would federally mandate through the banking system the credit card companies slowly increase their reserve requirements and squeeze down credit as it is here we are out of control....as people have been bombarded with comercials saying in essence your not cool if you dont have this or that..i-pods...fancy new cars...nike shoes...ect...thus this instant gratification is rampant in our society today.....our values have changed from helping the little old lady across the street to louie veton hand bags

the kids today arent as hard working today as yester year...i talk with many hr people and they all say the same thing....their applicants want every other friday off...2 weeks paid vacation right out of the box ect

not a doom and gloomer but our plane is losing altitude and my control panel has alarms going off all over it.....if not corrected we could have a mid air with the earth!!

monsterman
    my goal is to find the monsters and i go where they are but i sometimes miss some.... so if you have any and want to sell IM THE BUYER FOR THEM!!!

out of rockets ...out of bullets...switching to harsh language
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry monsterman, although what you propose seems right unfortunately that's the recipe for long term financial ruin. The only way out of our entitlement mess is to favor overall inflation [somewhat more than] slightly higher than core inflation. This ensures the economy's growth far outpaces the country's obligations to its retirees. Eventually, these future obligations are reduced to the equivalent of mere pennies on the dollar... all without our politicians lifting a finger to fix the mess!

The trick is controlling the increase to ensure the temperature goes up so slowly the frogs don't jump out of the pot. image
  • Options
    percybpercyb Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭
    I think contemporary stuff will find a difficult path to higher values in part because so much $$ moves from institution to institution, bank to grocery store via card transactions or the touch of a finger print without anyone handling coins or paper money. Too much is being minted and simply sitting in vaults. When was the last or first time you made a tranaction and received a Washington dollar?
    "Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley
  • Options
    BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    I saw a nice PCGS 64 1932-D Washington Quarter go tonite for barely over $4000.

Personally, I think the coin market today is in a Death spiral.

I'm seriously thinking about cashing out. What in the Sam Hell is going on?
  • Options
    curlycurly Posts: 2,880

What's the problem? Aren't cheap coins a good thing?
    Every man is a self made man.
  • Options
    define cheap? what amount is cheap? in my opinion they are fine because not every one collects certified or high end coins or rartries some collect for fun or just to have some nice old coins to leave to there family or keep
  • Options
    curlycurly Posts: 2,880

<< <i>define cheap? what amount is cheap? in my opinion they are fine because not every one collects certified or high end coins or rartries some collect for fun or just to have some nice old coins to leave to there family or keep >>

For me a cheap coin is a coin that I want and I can afford. Coins don't have to increase in value to make me happy. I'm in this hobby for the enjoyment it gives me.

If you're looking for a guaranteed way to make money just google up "rule of 72".

Every man is a self made man.