ajaanajaan Posts: 17,124 ✭✭✭✭✭

DPOTD-3
'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don

Comments

• Options
    BlackhawkBlackhawk Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭
    That is cool. I think that I sold someone on the forum a circ. one a couple years ago. image
    "Have a nice day!"
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Don't let Spinaker see that...his wife will kill him!image
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    too late!image

Been watching that one for a while at NEN, still $700 too much.
    Terry

eBay Store

DPOTD Jan 2005, Meet the Darksiders
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've always liked those. I have a low-grade holey example on my vest.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    nencoinnencoin Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭✭
    I have a general question for folks about our auction listing (since it's already been linked, I feel it's okay to bring it up). Are the terms of our sale not clearly defined? If you know you have an Unconfirmed paypal address, would it not be obvious to you by looking at our auction that we do not accept paypal payments from accounts with Unconfirmed addresses and that you should not even bother sending us a Paypal payment? If it's not obvious, I would truly appreciate any input on ways we can make it more obvious (without being too obnoxious...if we aren't being so already). I'm genuinely amazed at how many people pay no attention, ignore, or otherwise miss our terms and proceed with paying in a method that we do not accept. Or the occasional gripe we receive about our shipping fees, which I feel are also clearly stated. Any helpful input would be greatly appreciated!

Chris
  • Options
    BSBS Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have a general question for folks about our auction listing (since it's already been linked, I feel it's okay to bring it up). Are the terms of our sale not clearly defined? If you know you have an Unconfirmed paypal address, would it not be obvious to you by looking at our auction that we do not accept paypal payments from accounts with Unconfirmed addresses and that you should not even bother sending us a Paypal payment? If it's not obvious, I would truly appreciate any input on ways we can make it more obvious (without being too obnoxious...if we aren't being so already). I'm genuinely amazed at how many people pay no attention, ignore, or otherwise miss our terms and proceed with paying in a method that we do not accept. Or the occasional gripe we receive about our shipping fees, which I feel are also clearly stated. Any helpful input would be greatly appreciated!

Chris >>

It's in red bold letters, that seems pretty clear to me.
  • Options
    Chris,
    I know what you mean. You couldn't make it more clear that you won't ship to unconfirmed PayPal addy. Especially now that you have it in red right above the image. Some people just like to ignore it thinking you'll ship to them anyway. Not much you can do about it. I've run across the same thing.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    I've run across the same thing.

Absolutely!

Most bidders (myself included), probably feel that if they bid appropriately ( and have a good track record) they can disregard auction instructions on the basis of their bid. After all, they're interested and have bid on the coin. It's a dangerous presumption but one I feel that they think is appropriate (based on their feedback and public persona). Not saying it's right but certainly understandable. image

Most honest eBay buyers may not consider themselves bound by restrictions that are usually aimed at scammers.

The best thing you can do (and I do frequently) is to ignore my restrictions if the buyer looks legitimate or enforce them if they don't. Haven't been burned yet... but there's always the first time.

Anyhew, aren't all foreign shipping addresses described by eBay as unconfirmed?

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    Let me clearify. I have had unconfirmed bidders win my auction. With PayPal's rules it is very unwise to ship to unconfirmed addys unless I know the winner very well.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options

<< <i>Most honest eBay buyers may not consider themselves bound by restrictions that are usually aimed at scammers. >>

That's a very interesting point, and probably applicable to some of our bidders. But I would think big red bold words would discourage even the most persistent term-violating bidders. Because at the end of the day, regardless of one's feedback or self-provided assurances of honesty, there's no way I'm sending a $750 coin (as an example) to someone with an Unconfirmed Paypal address. All it takes is one delayed package and a premature file for their money back from Paypal and that honest person has become a dishonest person (in my book).
  • Options

<< <i> All it takes is one delayed package and a premature file for their money back from Paypal and that honest person has become a dishonest person (in my book). >>

BINGO!!!!

That is the problem. Even if the package was sent via Registered Mail and signed for.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    Couldn't you specify that buyers with overseas addresses (or unconfirmed addresses) must pay with a postal money order, something I've asked numerous buyers to do when the occasion warrants?
  • Options
    oldshepoldshep Posts: 3,240
    It is a very nice ship!! But at that price it will never see my fleet.....sigh.

Shep
  • Options

<< <i>Couldn't you specify that buyers with overseas addresses (or unconfirmed addresses) must pay with a postal money order, something I've asked numerous buyers to do when the occasion warrants? >>

A good suggestion. We do make this specification, but it's made in a link in our terms section (payment terms). Rather than offer the money order (or check or wire transfer) option in the link, perhaps I should state it under the terms section itself. I was just hoping to avoid having the terms box get so jam packed with the 'small print.' I will definitely consider your idea - thanks!
  • Options
    Even if the package was sent via Registered Mail and signed for. This is an issue that paypal needs to resolve.

If a seller sends via registered mail, than any issue that exists should exist as "did I get what I paid for", not "did I get it?"
  • Options
    Anything that I want and need to list under the separate areas of terms or shipping, I first state at the end of the item description, within the general body of the page, in generally the same language, simply so that if they're brain dead and don't scroll down, it's had the opportunity to register..

Not that I'm all that good at creating auction pages, but I like to use a definite background, against which I use a variety of type font size and bold (within the same font style- no colored lettering) to differentiate descriptive phrases and conditions within the text copy in order to make the page more readable. I like to imitate the style of magazine ads which are structured to capture your eye as you flip casually through a magazine in the doctors office.

I'm afraid that most eBay auctions are lacking in presentation skills... please don't make us scroll down forever until we come to a weak image, put a good one right at the top!

And pay the few pennies for a quality gallery image- it pays off 99% of the time! I've engaged eBay sellers who claim no result from gallery image or lack therof but their gallery images are so poor as to not be worth their effort. Crap in, crap out, right..?
  • Options
    I hasten to add that I have always enjoyed NEN's overall presentation. Superior website!

Also a high proportion of quality presenters exist on this forum.image
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I hasten to add that I have always enjoyed NEN's overall presentation. Superior website!

Also a high proportion of quality presenters exist on this forum.image >>

I agree - really like their website. They also seem to be on top of fulfilling image requests. There's also a fantastic War of Independence 8 Reales (Guadalajara) piece that they recently added to their site that I have my eye on.
  • Options

<< <i>I've run across the same thing.

Absolutely!

Most bidders (myself included), probably feel that if they bid appropriately ( and have a good track record) they can disregard auction instructions on the basis of their bid. After all, they're interested and have bid on the coin. It's a dangerous presumption but one I feel that they think is appropriate (based on their feedback and public persona). Not saying it's right but certainly understandable. image

Most honest eBay buyers may not consider themselves bound by restrictions that are usually aimed at scammers.

The best thing you can do (and I do frequently) is to ignore my restrictions if the buyer looks legitimate or enforce them if they don't. Haven't been burned yet... but there's always the first time.

Anyhew, aren't all foreign shipping addresses described by eBay as unconfirmed? >>

Interesting thread.

My Paypal says I am "Verified". I live in Norway.

Is this the Verified/Confirmed question here or am I totally lost?
    Becoming informed but still trying to learn every day!
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
    Hard_ Search (buyer/bidder, a small time seller)
    e-mail: wayne.whatley@gmail.com
  • Options

<< <i>Anyhew, aren't all foreign shipping addresses described by eBay as unconfirmed?
    Interesting thread.

My Paypal says I am "Verified". I live in Norway.

Is this the Verified/Confirmed question here or am I totally lost? >>

Verified is different from Confirmed. A verified account indicates that the buyer's identity has been 'verified' by Paypal, usually by providing an authentic bank account number. This safeguard is useless for sellers, since Paypal offers no seller protection simply because the buyer is Verified. Confirmed means that the address the buyer has provided has been determined by Paypal to be legitimate, at least in regards to a match with the credit card on file or some other means. Paypal only offers seller protection if the address is Confirmed (even then, the seller must jump through many flaming hoops in regards to how the package is shipped). Currently, you can only confirm your address with Paypal in the United States, Canada, the UK, and Australia.
  • Options
    Great discussion, I think we all fail in reading the 'fine print' at times, especially with an eye popper coin like this one, but the Pay Pal terms are well stated.

Nice one Chris I am salivating..... imageimage