Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Collecting foreign coins struck in U.S.?

I've been working on this set and am now thinking of collecting the larger silver world coins struck here in the U.S.

Have any of you focused on these coins? If any of you are working on these how hard is it to find good examples? Other then the Pesos, I don't own one world coin.

Comments

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Look at coins from the Netherlands and its territories. Many were struck in San Francisco or Denver.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    You'll have to put a 1968 Canadian 10c into your collection. About half of them were minted in Philadelphia. The difference between the ones made in Philly and Ottawa is in the type of edge reeding.
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In 1949 the San Francisco and Mexico City Mints struck 10,000,000 1898 Mexico Pesos for the Nationalist China army.

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    Poland 2 zlote 1924 and 2 zlote 1925 coins were struck in Philadelphia. However, these coins were also struck in London and Paris, so you will need to distinguish between the 1924 varieties and also the 1925 varieties.

Here is an image of the coin's reverse as well as the obverse (eagle) side.

By the way, these coins are mostly very tough to locate in UNC condition.
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Options
    orieorie Posts: 998
    Thanks for the info, I didn't have 2 out of the 4 mentioned on my short list.
  • Options
    Have you included anything from the Manila mint as part of your US collection
  • Options
    orieorie Posts: 998
    I did put a Wilson so called dollar, commemorating the opening of the Manila mint, in my collection.
  • Options
    oldshepoldshep Posts: 3,240
    Spinynorman, a board member, has a very comprehensive list of all coins minted by the US Mint for other countries and a nice collection of the same. MAybe he will chime in on this post. You will be amazed at the number of countries that have used the US Mint.
    Shep
  • Options
    CeephusCeephus Posts: 73 ✭✭
    I think you can also include Austrailia.

Some silver coins were minted in Denver and San Francisco

I believe they were threepence, sixpence, shilling and Florin in 1942, 43 and 44

• Options
    StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is a list of all the foreign coins minted at the US Mint. There are more than most people think, I added them up for a trivia question a few months back, and think it was over 11 Billion coins image

Foreign Production Figures
    ------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
  • Options
    There's a book that lists world coins struck in the US from 1876-1963:

Foreign Coins Struck At United States Mints, by Charles G. Altz and E. H. Barton- Whitman Publishing Co.