Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

For you boxing fans...............

I just got in almost 1000 old boxing magazines from the 20's up to around 1980.

The scan sux by the way the item is much brighter. The darkness is due to the scan. The black roller mark top right is there though. I would grade this example as EX/MNT

Steve

Steve
Good for you.

Comments

• Options
    Nice pick up. The early Ring magazines had some of the best colorful images the hobby will ever see. Most held up well and the colors pop off the covers....
  • Options
    eyeboneeyebone Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭
    Are they for sale WP?

Eyebone
    "I'm not saying I'm the best manager in the world, but I'm in the top one." Brian Clough
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    eyebone, yes they are. I have some on ebay. I have to go through. them first.

Right now I have 1942 complete 12 issues up on ebay and a few singles.

0ne is from 1927 and it is a photo album/Demsey cover

the other is an issue from 1936 with louis on the cover too.

200094261928 is an ebay auction of mine.

Ebay seller............Hobby-haven

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options
    Steve:

I will keep an eye (no pun intended) on your listings. I am really only interested in two fighters though. Heavyweight George Chuvalo. He spoke at the highschool I teach at a few years back...the guys family was destroyed by drugs...lost his wife and at least two children to abuse. World lightweight champion Kenny Buchanan. He was Scot who entered the ring to the sound of bagpipes. My father met him a couple of times.

Anyway, if you happen to come across either of these guys on a cover kindly keep me in mind.

Eyebone
    "I'm not saying I'm the best manager in the world, but I'm in the top one." Brian Clough
  • Options
    No problem can you give me an approximate date that they were in the sport?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Buchanan was a one of the world's leading lightweights from the late '60s to mid '70s (but champ from 1970-72 I believe). Chuvalo took Ali the distance twice '66 & '72, so anytime around then. Don't go searching through 1,000 magazines for them--I am not even certain they had any covers--but if you happen to stumble across either....

Eyebone
  • Options
    WondoWondo Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭
    Steve,

That is great stuff!
    Wondo

• Options
    Eyebone, I have to go through them anyway, my dining room is filled up! Now that i Know what to look for I'll keep my eye out for you.

Steve
    Good for you.