Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

. . . so little time

Is it possible to make a rough estimate of the total number of coins minted throughout history? Maybe somewhere between 500 billion and a trillion?

Comments

• Options
    According to my sources, as of 3/28/07 at 11:59:59 p.m. EDT, the total was 2,345,678,987,654.2. (The .2 is a coin that was 20% through the minting process at the Tokyo Branch Mint as of the cutoff time. It does not include any Yap coinage.
    Roy

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Rickc300Rickc300 Posts: 876 ✭✭
    LOL! I have been trying to count the number of regular issues from the German Empire, Weimar and 3rd Reich for years... My forehead keeps hitting the keyboard after an hour or so and messing up my count. Is there a source to find out the number of regular issues struck? Not so much the mintage figures but how many date and mint combinations of each series? IE: KM1, they were coined for 16 years but how many different mints issued coins each year? I get dizzy and give up after just a few minutes of trying to count. The small print in Krause gives me the willies while looking and trying to count them. Any help would be most appreciated and sorry to have maybe hijacked your thread on an intersting thought...

Rick
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well armed lamb contesting that vote. Benjamin Franklin - 1779

1836 Capped Liberty
    dime. My oldest US
    detecting find so far.
    I dig almost every
    signal I get for the most
    part. Go figure...