Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Maybe we could add this to the pop-report

I was thinking about all of the 8's and 9's listed on the population reports, are these numbers correct. I would think many of the rarer cards have been crossed-over or cracked-out and resubmitted. So how accurate is the report. My idea is why not add a column to the pop-report that would show the number of cards still showing on the registry, meaning the cards that are in someones set/player/team set. This way we would know how many card were graded and how many are in use in the registry. But i'm not sure if this would be of any help to anyone. If some one wanted to they could just post pictures and certification numbers of there most expensive cards. A dishonest person could crack them out and have them regraded with new numbers and sell them off. But still show the first set of numbers given to them on his/her registry. I'm not close to winning any awards, but if someone wins the top award. How will PSA know that this person still has possesion of the cards? Trust? HAHAHA... How can the population reports be given more correct numbers to the cards that really are still in thier original case. What are your thought....
Paul

Comments

• Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Paul-

Frankly, although your situation is plausible, if someone is sorry enough to execute on such a scheme, I would gladly give up my little piece of paper award so that they can receive the award instead.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭

<< <i> A dishonest person could crack them out and have them regraded with new numbers and sell them off. But still show the first set of numbers given to them on his/her registry. I'm not close to winning any awards, but if someone wins the top award. How will PSA know that this person still has possesion of the cards? >>

You know, I thought this exact same thing. Especially on some of the sets that are blocked or don't have any pics. Whats to stop someone from doing this? I realize it's pretty juvenille and it would be awfully cost prohibitive to do this but for some of the nicer cards that were cracked and resubmitted...the old cert would still work. I dunno, it's an interesting theory and would be odd if someone actually did this. I agree with mikeschmidt on this one, if someone were sorry enough to do that, then they could have my paper too. (As if I have one to give...) image
  • Options
    Dont forget that the highest active set on the registry wins free grading as well as a paper certificate. So there maybe the motive. But my original thought was how to improve the usefulness of the population report. I find the report to be inaccurate.
    Paul
  • Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    Any set over 75% gets free gradings. I don't think you get anything other than the "Atta boy" and the certificate for the top spot.
  • Options
    Why do some people block out their sets. The reason you collect is to show it to the world. If you block it, you are denying the best part of the registry to the world, which is the ability to check out other peoples collections.
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Why do some people block out their sets. The reason you collect is to show it to the world. If you block it, you are denying the best part of the registry to the world, which is the ability to check out other peoples collections. >>

Well -- some people (more geared to those that have thousands, if not tens of thousands of dollars in any particular set) fear that by releasing the information, dealers and/or other collectors will exploit that information to draw more monies out of said collectors for potential upgrades or filling of holes they may need for their sets.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i> A dishonest person could crack them out and have them regraded with new numbers and sell them off. But still show the first set of numbers given to them on his/her registry. I'm not close to winning any awards, but if someone wins the top award. How will PSA know that this person still has possesion of the cards? >>

You know, I thought this exact same thing. Especially on some of the sets that are blocked or don't have any pics. Whats to stop someone from doing this? I realize it's pretty juvenille and it would be awfully cost prohibitive to do this but for some of the nicer cards that were cracked and resubmitted...the old cert would still work. I dunno, it's an interesting theory and would be odd if someone actually did this. I agree with mikeschmidt on this one, if someone were sorry enough to do that, then they could have my paper too. (As if I have one to give...) image >>

I always thought the same thing as you Envoy.

Another reason for using cracked cert numbers is for an insurance scam. Someone who would use cracked cert numbers would probably also try to scam an insurance company.
    #LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    Good day,
    There is a certain individual in the Non Sports Arena who has lots of top Registered sets and if he see's you are working on a set that He has Registered and you have maybe 2, 3, or 5, cards needed to finish your set and one comes up on E-bay that will fill a hole in your set, He will outbid you to the tune of 3, 5, 10 times the value of the card to keep you from getting the card for your set, even though he already has it in his set. And he has unlimited funds, so you are never going to win a bidding war with him. That is why some people hide whats in their set until they are done. I go one better, I am working on about 10 different sets and will not Register any set until it is 100 % after watching this guy do it to me several times on the ones I do have Registered.
    neil
    Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!
  • Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Good day,
    There is a certain individual in the Non Sports Arena who has lots of top Registered sets and if he see's you are working on a set that He has Registered and you have maybe 2, 3, or 5, cards needed to finish your set and one comes up on E-bay that will fill a hole in your set, He will outbid you to the tune of 3, 5, 10 times the value of the card to keep you from getting the card for your set, even though he already has it in his set. And he has unlimited funds, so you are never going to win a bidding war with him. That is why some people hide whats in their set until they are done. I go one better, I am working on about 10 different sets and will not Register any set until it is 100 % after watching this guy do it to me several times on the ones I do have Registered.
    neil >>

This is what I would do is if you had 2 PSA 9s or 10s in a set and you think he is blocking your set. Don't put either in you registery and put one up on Ebay. If he is really blocking you and will over bid (to the tune of 2 to 10x the value of the card) to block you, then let him run up the bid. Then you have extra cash for the ones you need.
    #LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    Good day,
    Not that I would do it, but to go one better, would be to send it to a third party, let him list it and then have the guy actually bid against me, then you could really run it up.
    Neil
    Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    I didn't think people were that petty to as prevent others from completing a set they love, especially if it won't affect their place at the top spot. Pretty crappy behavior. Maybe you make a rule that before the winner can be declared they have to send in scans of the 10 highest weighted cards in the set? It is pretty silly but if this is whats driving the hobby it makes sense to have some confirmation that they actually have the cards. I thought this is why you could retire sets.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set