Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Out of Pack Graded Cards

Hello all,

I collect Steve Young cards and I was thinking. Should I consider different grades of graded cards different, IF they came from packs. In other words should these be considered parallels? I collect things however I want and I don't really care what a list or guide says, but I thought this might make a good question.

Mark
Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.

Comments

• Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    i dont understand what you are saying. what do you mean by this. for example do you mean you would consider a PSA 10, 9 and 8 of say 1995 Finest to be three different cards?? Well they are different but for any registry set they would all fit under one heading.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    Again.....out of pack graded cards, and I am not referring to the registry. I have 20-25 registered sets so I understand how it works.

Using Steve Young, that would be like 2000 Collector Edge Graded.

Mark
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
  • Options
    WondoWondo Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭
    Mark,

Are you suggesting an "OOP" designation. Aren't most cards "OOP"?

OOP = out of pack
    Wondo

• Options
    Thats funny.

Perhaps no one knows what 2000 Collectors Edge Graded is? PSA must have graded a quarter million of those.

See ebay Item number 110108378229. It is a pack with a graded card ALREADY inside. Hence, it is an out of pack graded card....but we would have to go OOPG. (Somewhat kidding).

Most player collectors consider something out of a pack, and different a different card. I will admit I have perhaps the largest 2000 Edge PSA collection (?) and I only have the PSA 9's I can't get 10's in, but for example.

If I collected a player and he was in the standard "uncirculated" set, with 5000, if there where 4990 PSA 10's and only 10 PSA 9's....I would look for one of the PSA 9's as well. But that would be the only time I would consider it.

Mark
  • Options
    mealewormmealeworm Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭
    what???
    1957 Topps 99% 7.40 GPA
    Hank Aaron Basic PSA 7-8(75%)
  • Options
    is it 4:20 there?
  • Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    My head hurts from just reading this thread.

Time for bed.
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    sixdartsixdart Posts: 821 ✭✭
    Collectors Edge inserted PSA graded cards into various product boxes and individual packs. I believe most were football issues? The single graded card per box is more commonly referred to as a "box topper" now and the graded pack inserts were considered uncirculated. These cards were sent directly to PSA, from the manufacturer, for grading. During this same period, Upper Deck had a brief agreement for SGC to grade cards and they were inserted into boxes/packs as well. See example below ...

2000 Collectors Edge Graded Uncirculated ...

Registrant's Email Address: jaycos@qualitycards.com

Owner's Comments:
    The Collectors Edge Circulated PSA football set was a big hit in 2000. Each pack of cards contained 10 cards + a PSA graded "9" or "10". The packs initially retailed around $20.00 - $29.99. There were 3 versions of the PSA graded cards. The 1 of 1 "Personal Collection", the "Brilliant" which had a run of 500 per player and the "Uncirculated" which I'll be discussing. The "Uncirculated" had a mintage of 5000 per player w/ 50 cards in this set #101 Chad Pennington to #150 Peyton Manning. However the base set is actually 49, since #110 LeVar Arrington was never made since the Penn State star was unsigned by the Redskins during the print run. On the back of each graded card is printed "1 OF 5000". But while glancing at the PSA Population report 21 of the players exceeded 5000 with #116 Olandis Gary having the most w/ 5500 which consisted of 4518 PSA-9's & 982 PSA-10's. Perhaps some of the overage of the 21 were given away as samples or kept in house. Its also worth noting that 24 players had an exact population of 5000, while 4 players had less then 5000, with #101 Pennington having the least printed w/ 3515 which consists of 2743 PSA-9's & 772 PSA-10's. Also worth mentioning is that 4 players are not readily available in PSA-10 form, #119 Keyshawn Johnson has a run of 4002 w/ just 2 PSA-10's available and the remaining 4000 soley in PSA-9's. #123 Troy Edwards also has just 1 PSA-10 (which currently resides in my set, as well as 1 of the 2 Keyshawn 10's). #124 Brett Favre & 125 Charlie Batch have 5000 PSA-9's for each and Zero PSA-10's. So obviously an entire PSA-10 set would have to suffice at 47. Just as odd as these players only having PSA-9's available is #134 Donovan McNabb, where all 5000 of his cards are only available in PSA-10 form, no wonder why I see so many. With Collectors Edge departure from the card scene and the fact that almost 250,000 high end cards have been graded. This is an affordable set that can cater to any budget.
  • Options
    sixdartsixdart Posts: 821 ✭✭
    Without knowing which card you are referring to, it would most likely be considered a parallel - unless the manufacturer offered the same base card in ungraded and graded form?!
  • Options
    Here is a good photo example.

Outside of the slabs, they are the same card. However, I could not use them in the same 2000 Edge registry. There are other examples. Such as the basic 2000 Donruss Preferred Graded Series by BGS. There they have two seperate registries....for graded cards from packs, which were limited to 1125, and I guess what I will call the normal card for lack of better word.

These cards go so cheap on ebay I would pick them up if you are a player collector. (~$5.00 for a PSA 10 of a HOF'er and sometimes the lesser PSA 10's don't sell for $1.00).

None of the out of pack graded cards seem very popular. A handful of some of the 2002 UD Graded perhaps the only exception.

Mark